The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » The Zibit is here!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
I too have radio experience with the big reel to reel beasts and the 'draggy' carts and cart machines. This rather dates me doesn't it!
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
We only used carts for commercials, so they were all wound with just a minute's worth of tape. For music and shows, we used reel-to-reel. This was back in the early 70's.

I'm sure Doug's failing memory and old-timer's disease has caused his weakened brain to conjure up an imaginary place called 'Sewardalaska' where they still used such antiquated equipment as late as 1995.

And yes, ufo, you are dating yourself. Which is good because no one else is likely to. (I kid. I'm a kidder.)
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
We also used reel to reel smart ass...I loaded show elements on the BIG carts for personal storage reasons and ease of use in a complex set up. (in the 80's)

Seward Alaska and the 'Spot Master' was 1968.

A small station in Lake Tahoe was still using carts for commercials in '95.

If you learned to read, comprehension WAS a part of it...you should have attended that week.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
abigkahuna
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of abigkahuna
All I ever used were carts back in the day (80s early 90s) hell, you can't even find new, much less used machines these days, when technology changes, it changes.

Some folks say they had problems with carts, but I never did. I also liked splicing reel to reel, could cut a syallble and a stutter. Those were the days!
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
I prefer the reality I make up in my head to the so-called real reality, Doug.

When I read something, it stays read.

So there. Smile
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
billyboy1957
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of billyboy1957
Be grateful you live in the USA because your technology is somewhat ahead of the UK. In 1998 we were still mastering albums on to Umatic tapes (I hope that's the spelling). OK, they were a cassette, but much bigger than a video tape.

The upside is, we get the guns and stuff years later too - but it's coming.

Ian
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
But you have Pie and Chips Shops...I'll trade.
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
The zibit hit this weekend and made more today than last weekend combined. Its all working well! Got two larger venues set up for the rest of the month.
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4457 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Doug,
Any time you want to doss down in my spare room you are more than welcome over here in the UK ..... very cheap as well ..... ill take a mer or something similar (only joking ..... but you are welcome)
Gemeanii
View Profile
Regular user
Feeling so much younger now....
158 Posts

Profile of Gemeanii
So - what do you do when your Zibit is getting restless and you can’t find a fair?

Well, for something completely different, take Doug’s plan, and apply it in a different way…
OK, so I’m just a bit off center, and changing something that works is not usually a good idea, but adapting, morphing and exploring the edges is what we are about, and along the way learning occurs. After all, no one ever learned anything by sitting back and watching – DO, and risk failure, see what you learn.

Anyway, Zibit is all set in a box, ready for a captured event that didn’t happen as planned… family weekend commitments have been consuming much of my time but a small window opens, so time for some fun.

Following Doug’s plan as closely as possible, I set up signage (wording from the plan, don’t have it – Buy it now!) and hauled my old wooden crate down to the road. It’s a small country road, with no shoulder and usually only local traffic, but Saturday the local Indian tribe was having their annual Pow-Wow. This meant traffic. I set up in the late afternoon about 30 ft off the road, in a grassy clearing under a shady oak tree. I set my box on a small, otherwise empty flatbed utility trailer nothing around except me in a lawn chair reading a book (Tarbell, in this case). The three signs started about 150 feet down the road.

So here is what I did wrong; 100 times less accessible than walk by traffic at a fair, 100 times less willingness to stop, 100 times more “What the H3LL is that, Marge, must be a rip-off?”

Begins the fun…
Within about 5 min. I had a car pulling off the road… then another, and it kept going…
I only had about an hour operating before I needed to move on. I made some bucks, had a lot of fun, heard several interesting stories about what I had in the box, NO ONE felt ripped-off, No one asked for their money back and I got to talk to some very interesting folks.

One guy stopped “Just to experience the Carney atmosphere… Like a throw back to the old days of road side tourist traps.” Handed me the money, even paid for his friend, asked if he could take pictures of MY SIGNS!

Another woman said “I’ll tell you exactly what it is. My brother hunted it about 30 years ago”… and then played me the entire story of a local urban legend of the Goatman… All I said was, “Wow, I never heard that before. Guess it could be, I really don’t know – found it in an old house I was emptying out for a friend. Found it in a closet, just like you see it in the box, newspaper (dated 1981) and all…”

My point-
If Doug’s plan works along a roadside with all the disadvantages I imposed upon it, it’ll work for you even better, just as Doug has laid it out! Get your Zibit, get Doug’s plan, and start having some good old fashion fun making money for a show. Now THAT’S entertainment.

Steve

Doug, more body parts please, "Goatie" is real!
Steve Gemeny
The Great Gemeanii
[email]steve@gemeny.com[/email]
www.gemeanii.com
handa
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, PA
1348 Posts

Profile of handa
NO...you wouldn't have heard of the Goatman ;-)

Thanks for sharing, Steve. See you down the road sometime.

Chris
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
I love that story! What it is really about IS the fun you have...mostly because of the tales people tell you...it's a blast. The whole plan is designed to garner the maximum of interest and feedback. There is never any negative feedback that I'm aware of because of the way everything is worded and set up. All have fun. I have heard from many old timers who spent many years catching Hell and Heat by showing the wrong way and now they are happy campers.

Roadside is a gas (literally). As long as the local fuz doesn't get on you for it...the signs in 'steps' is a great idea and of course used by Burma Shave and Grand Canyon Indian Tribes for years to grab the passerby. Love it more than anything!!!

What has really shocked me (maybe shock isn't the right word) is that over all these years, no one I'm aware of has set up my plan as a roadside (except me) attraction. Like anyone with just about ANY business along a road can do it and it would kick butt these days! I always was waiting for some place along Route 66 to get ahold of me. I do have one on Hwy 101 in a little antique shop for years but he doesn't put up signs except in side his store. It's become pretty famous just by word of mouth. Anyone along a good road with decent traffic and a pull off area should have gotten ahold of me but none ever did. My stuff is maybe out there but they are not making maximum use of it for sure. One of my Chupacabra Roadkills used to hang in a Reno BBQ joint. haha. Maybe it still is. But they never used the signs like they should have, it was just 'there'.

Anyway Steve...good for you.

I just got this eMail this morning (I delete the names because I didn't ask permission and it is edited down)

"Hey Doug,
Well, I waited until (---) came home to open the package. Since
'she' ordered it I wanted her to open it. She was so funny just
looking down into the Box and not letting me look. I just kept looking at her expression I tried to get closer to get a glimps and she would
turn to obstruct my view. If everyone looks at it like she did this is
going to be a great "thing". She looked at it before we went to bed
on Sat. night and she had bad dreams (like all night ). So how's that
for an impact. She kept looking at the nose hairs and I said to
her "Do not cut the hairs"....She wanted to so bad.

Doug I think you did a fantastic job and I really truly appreciate it.
The workmanship is absolutely the best...I can not wait until I start to working with it. At this stage I just need to look at it myself, we keep asking each other
"What the heck is it?"....I know that you are a true professional, and a master of your craft I hope you don't sell anymore in this area (Grin). I am looking forward
to working with you more in the future. Until then take care of yourself and once again Thank-You so much for the work that you put into the "IT". She even named it "Precious" from the Lord of the Rings this was the best surprise from her, (even though she let me know after she had ordered it). Rest assured Doug this is
a thing for me that has a tremendous amount of value as it was bought out of love from 'her' and the perfection that you had put into it.
There is not enough words for me to express the appreciation for your
time that I know you put into it.......You really should raise your
price because you could get more.
With all the respect one could give to another professional

RZ"

I usually don't share these eMails I get (I have many like this...fortunately) but this one kind of struck me special. It's not just a 'guy' thing. haha.

Oh and Sabrina (speaking of which)...hopefully your's will be going out this week. Smile
Doug
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » The Zibit is here!! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL