The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Magic Wands (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Seth
View Profile
Special user
566 Posts

Profile of Seth
Hi

Do you guys know where I can get an nice wand? Not a el-cheepo magic set one but a nice proper wand. Thanks!
Zeitoun
View Profile
New user
Rennes, France
16 Posts

Profile of Zeitoun
I saw a good looking one on the Vicking website.

I don't now if it worth the $45, but I like the pictures. Smile

Olivier
Tom Trix
View Profile
Regular user
Copenhagen,Denmark
113 Posts

Profile of Tom Trix
Hi Seth!

A company that has very nice magic wands is: http://www.wizardcraft.com

Regards
Tom Trix
There is no business like Showbusiness.
Tim Trono
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of Tim Trono
We (Murphy's) just started distributing a really nice wand called the Telic Wand. It's perfect for close-up and you can do a wand through coin. When I got a sample of this initially I was REALLY impressed.

Most likely you'll be able to get this from your favorite dealer as we only sell wholesale. The pics on our site don't do it justice but you can check it out: http://www.murphysmagicsupplies.com

Tim Trono
GeorgeG
View Profile
Inner circle
Thousand Oaks, CA
1021 Posts

Profile of GeorgeG
You may want to look at Dickie Bennett's website:
Michael Dustman
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
1171 Posts

Profile of Michael Dustman
I got the Mercury Wand that Michael Ammar makes for my cups and balls routine. I incorporate it for some other effects as well.

http://store.yahoo.com/ammarmagic/mercurywand.html
Gianni
View Profile
Special user
WILMINGTON, DE
993 Posts

Profile of Gianni
Quote:
On 2003-01-22 11:01, M. Perk wrote:
Check out shamrockmagicandcollectibles. Has the nicest wand out there.

No! No! No! Don't try this place. I paid for a wand two months ago through PayPal. I never received it. After a month and several inquiries I got a reply saying it had been mailed to me, with apologies for the delay due to being out of town and computer problems. I am now another month without receiving the wand. In spite of another three emails and one telephone call, I am getting no responses of any type. It's like the guy fell off the planet.

I got burned.

Gianni
GeorgeG
View Profile
Inner circle
Thousand Oaks, CA
1021 Posts

Profile of GeorgeG
I agree with Gianni. I ordered a custom wand from Shamrock in early November and was promised to have the wand finished and delivered in two weeks. I sent an e-mail in late November and was advised to expect the wand in a week. The second e-mail was sent in December and I never received a response.

Well, it's over two and a half months and no wand. I paid them in full through PayPal. Smile
Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1095 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
Quote:
On 2003-01-22 11:01, M. Perk wrote:
Check out shamrockmagicandcollectibles. Has the nicest wand out there.

Quote:
On 2003-01-22 17:51, Gianni wrote:
No! No! No! Don't try this place. I paid for a wand two months ago through PayPal. I never received it. After a month and several inquiries I got a reply saying it had been mailed to me, with apologies for the delay due to being out of town and computer problems. I am now another month without receiving the wand. In spite of another three emails and one telephone call, I am getting no responses of any type. It's like the guy fell off the planet.

I got burned.

Gianni

My friend had the same problem but eventually the wands were sent after numerous emails. Keep sending them emails until they respond.
Bernard Sim
Seth
View Profile
Special user
566 Posts

Profile of Seth
Wow, thanks guys. Thanks for all the references. There seems to be some very nice ones but I'm half tempted to save up for one of Dickie Bennett's. I'm drooling just looking at the page. Smile
Terry
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of Terry
I was looking for a wand too. I guess I won't be looking at Shamrock.
Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1095 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
What a shame, Shamrock's wands are actually quite cool. Actually, you can email Ben Beishline: bbeishline@networld.com

He custom made wands too. Ask him for a picture of his wands. I'm sure you'll like it.
Bernard Sim
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6584 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I also have the Mercury wand, and it's not bad at all. I recently got the wand from Johnson Products, and it's very nice—brass with "ridges" to match the Johnson cups, and one end is gaffed for chop cup stuff. My buddy just got a very cool wand made by Mark Berger in San Francisco. It comes in a cool, divided leather pouch that also has a pocket for business cards or a packet trick. The main part of the wand is in two pieces, and the ends screw on, so you can have a short wand or a full-length one as needed. I plan to pick one up very soon.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Thomas Wayne who is an active poster at this forum makes custom made wands.

He is one of the top custom pool cue makers in the world—has one first place in every billard organization for custom cue work. I have seen some of his wands, custom rare woods, inlaid exotic gems or precious metals, etc.

Though you might think twice about actually using the wand after you shell out the bucks for one.
Click to visit:
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
I remember Bob Kohler showing me a couple of amazingly good looking wands last year at the WMS (2002). Could these have been Thomas Wayne's wands?

I remember him mentioning they started at $150 and up. Where can Thomas's wands be seen?
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
2240 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Denny & Lee occasionally has a supply of my wands, though he seems to sell out of them rather quickly. He may have some in stock currently.

Otherwise, they are built to order; the prices reflect the workmanship and materials. I use only EXOTIC hardwoods like ebony, cocobolo, pink ivory, snakewood, etc. (no walnut or oak or other supposedly "valuable" woods). If the ferrules are metal, they are STERLING SILVER (not brass or stainless or aluminum or other cheap metals). Decorative metal rings are always either sterling silver or genuine GOLD.

As for using my wands in performance, my personal wand (which many Café-ers have seen in person) is made of ebony with sterling silver, ivory and abalone shell inlays. It's very exotic looking and I've had offers to buy it that would curl your toes. Nevertheless, I use it every day and have beat it against coins, cups and the table on numerous occasions. It has the scars to prove it, but it still looks great.

Finally, if the prices scare you off, good. The "Mercury Wand" mentioned in another post is a one-dollar piece of 3/8" aluminum rod with a twenty-cent piece of black heat-shrink tubing applied; it retails for $30!!! Complain about THOSE prices if you need something to cry about. I make every effort to build only the highest quality props and I sell everything I can possibly make, so I certainly don't want one of my wands in the hands of someone who won't appreciate its quality. I'm a firm believer in the old adage: "You get what you pay for."

Regards,
Thomas Wayne
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Bob Kohler
View Profile
Special user
704 Posts

Profile of Bob Kohler
I have seen most, if not all, of the wands Thomas makes and they are simply works of art. When we first met, I received a package in the mail. Upon opening it, I discovered a simple, elegant wand. I didn't know of Thomas' credits in the billiard industry. The closer I looked and investigated the detail, the more amazed I became.

So I gave him a call and he explained that the wand was cocobolo with sterling silver tips. What really blew me away was when he explained that the thin end caps were made from ancient, perhaps 10,000 year old tusks!

So who has these types of materials...Thomas has them because his trade is manufacturing custom cues of the highest caliber. In fact, he sold the most expensive cue ever made for over $1000,000...really. It took over one year to make. He does the impossible. Incredible detailed inlay work on a tapered, cylinder. That's five axis' you have to deal with. Wands none of us have ever seen the likes of are more of a hobby for him.

If you can get your hands on one, do it. He may decide to stop wasting his time with products that cost hundreds of dollars and get back to real business.
www.bobkohlermagic.com

Home of the BK Pro Line
Hanno
View Profile
New user
Austria
23 Posts

Profile of Hanno
I have bought a wand from Thomas Wayne so I will give you a little review. Everything I read here is true.

Yes it is expensive. I paid about $230 for the ebony wand with ferrules in sterling silver. Yes it is worth every penny for me.

When I had this wand the first time in my hand I was really suprised by the high quality. It's really a conversation piece when you take out this wand. And in my eyes it's not expensive to spend this kind of money. So if you have the money, stop spending it for some other magic junk you will only store on your shelves. You will be happy with such a wand for the rest of your life. This is quality and beauty pure.

Hanno
Austria
YT
View Profile
New user
London, UK
24 Posts

Profile of YT
Maybe try Diagon Alley?

Seriously though, for those in the UK I bought mine at Davenports—a very nice dark wood wand with brass tips. It was cheap too, only about £15 if I recall.
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1360 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
My dad made me a wand from a piece of wood he found in the woods. (It's got a bit of a twisty quality to it). He sanded it down and attached this really nice looking Austrian crystal to the end of it. I don't use this in performance because it is too nice looking, I wouldn't want to harm it. I keep it on display as a piece of art.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Magic Wands (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL