The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Linking Rubber Bands!!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Paradic Arsonist
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of Paradic Arsonist
Hey guys!
Does anyone know of any publications or videos or anything that explains how to make rubber bands appear linked in the same way linking rings appear linked? Any help is muchly appreciated!

-Andy
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Buy Ebony & Ivory and you can actually link them instead of just having them look like they're linked.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Chris Kenner - Out of Control/Toally Out of Control Book.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Magic Chris
View Profile
Regular user
Switzerland
104 Posts

Profile of Magic Chris
Hi

Have a look at the following crazy story about two rubberbands (including video clip)

A white rubber band breaks. You tie it together with a knot. It links with a black rubber band, unlinks, then links again - and the two linked bands are a gift for the spectators to keep as a souvenir. But only after you remove the knot from the white band! A totally new approach to rubber band magic.

http://www.magi.nu/ebony/Effect.html

Anybody has a review of it???
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Frank is right on ,the Chris Kenner effect the "missing Link " from his book (Out of Control)is the most visual linking and it is totally impromtu and can be done with any type of rubberbands.
and the bands can be examined
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Magic Chris
View Profile
Regular user
Switzerland
104 Posts

Profile of Magic Chris
Chris Kenner's "missing Link is on
Dan Harlan's Video:
Magic With Rubber Bands - Vol 2

but look at my link above, where you give
the rubberbands in LINKED condition to the spectators!
Gene B
View Profile
Regular user
Sacramento, CA
193 Posts

Profile of Gene B
Hey Larry D--regarding "Ebony & Ivory"--do you have this effect??--Can you give us a review??
It sounds like a great effect, but $60. bucks can purchase a couple of Dan Harlans tapes-which can provide a whole lot more effects!! Decisions, decisions!!

Thanks,
Gene B
Gravity--It's not just a rule--It's the Law!
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Quote:
On 2003-01-23 13:58, Gene B wrote:
Hey Larry D--regarding "Ebony & Ivory"--do you have this effect??--Can you give us a review??
It sounds like a great effect, but $60. bucks can purchase a couple of Dan Harlans tapes-which can provide a whole lot more effects!! Decisions, decisions!!

Thanks,
Gene B

Chris, yes I have it, and it's the most magical linking rubber band effect I've ever seen because the bands ACTUALLY link and unlink in an unbelievably clean manner. Plus at the end, you pull the knot off of the tied rubber band and then give the two linked bands to someone as a souvenir.

The only downside in my opinion is that you have to make up extras IF you want to pull off the knot and give away the linked bands. It's a downside FOR ME not because the preparation is difficult, but because I'm lazy when it comes to that kind of thing. The only other downside to some (not to me) is that contrary to what the video on the WEB might suggest, you can't just pull the knot off and hand the bands to someone immediately after performing the last link. You have to do something else first, and it's not a problem in my mind, but might disappoint some who believe you can simply link and then hand the bands out. At the bottom line, it's a GREAT effect and in my opinion worth the money. Would the money be better spent on something else? That's a subjective opinion that will vary from person to person, and I'm fortunate enough to not be in an "either or" situation when it comes to spending that kind of money so I may not be the best person to ask. Last, perform a search and you'll find extensive discussion of this effect in other threads. Regards, Larry Davidson.
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
It's not out yet, but at some point this year I'm hoping to release a manuscript or video on my "Linked for Life", a link that allows you to hand out the permanently linked bands with no funny moves, no switches, etc. You clearly show two obviously separate bands, slowly touch them together, they visibly link, and you immediately give them to somebody to keep as a souvenir.

Until it's published, if you're ever in the Boston area or see me at a convention, say hi and I'll be glad to demonstrate it for you.

--A
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Hi Andy do you have a web site that shows this effect?
Is it like Ebony and Ivory???/
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
Nope, it's nothing like "Ebony and Ivory", it's much more open, and doesn't use a gaff other than the permanently linked bands. And no switch. You cleanly, clearly, and openly show two seperate bands, touch them together, and they link..permanently.

I don't have a video of it yet, because I don't have a webcam. If I can get ahold of one, I'll consider it, but part of me doesn't want to, particularly since a manuscript/video is not available yet, and I don't want folks running a vid in slo-mo and reverse engineering it.

I was hoping to do a video of it along with a very similar looking impromptu link/unlink, which is my refinement of an effect by another Boston performer, but he's not sure he wants to have his effect on a video just now, so I may do a manuscript of just the permanent link. The text is mostly written, I'd just need to find time to take the photos.

--A
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
The Café's (and Singapore's) own Bernard Sim has a wonderful routine of this type called, "Really Linked!" It is the bonus routine in my book, "Magishing My Way." Bernard told me the other day that he has made a deal with Murphy's Magic Supllies to carry this as a separate item in it's own manuscript. It really is a beautiful, magical effect, and relatively easy to do. And you do leave the bands in their linked condition with the spec as a souvenir.

If you're interested in just this one routine, wait for it to come out in the manuscript. If you're interested in the book, I offer it to Café members for $20 postpaid in the US and Canada (regularly $25 + shipping).
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Chris A.
View Profile
Inner circle
AKA Chris A.
1123 Posts

Profile of Chris A.
There is also some good work on linking bands by Rosenthal and Weber in "Richards Collected Almanac".

It also contains "Rubber Ringer" by Kalush, which is an excellent version linking a rubberband to a finger ring.
AKA Chris A.
Keepin' the Funk Alive
Alpen
View Profile
Regular user
Boston
163 Posts

Profile of Alpen
Andy, are you talking about Steve Kradolfer's routine?

Alpen
Randy
View Profile
Loyal user
Rochester, NY
261 Posts

Profile of Randy
Gaeton Bloom has a very good linking rubberbands effect where the linked bands are handed out at the end. It is on a video tape released in the 80's. I don't remember the name of the tape but I think it was one of the tapes put out by Radio Prim.
The Buffalo Get-Together - A Close-Up Magic Convention
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
Alpen, Alpen, Alpen,
Yes, yes, yes.

:) Smile Smile

--Andy (Andy Andy)
Alpen
View Profile
Regular user
Boston
163 Posts

Profile of Alpen
Smile I don't know why my post appeared 3 times...

Anyways, back on the topic, Steve's routine is, in my opinion, amazing.

Alpen
dmk_kirkland
View Profile
Loyal user
256 Posts

Profile of dmk_kirkland
There is also a booklet on Slydini's Linking bands. I believe it was written by one of his students.
Cheers,
David
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
For those who haven't caught it in the other thread, my "Linked 4 Life" is finally nearing release. It's on its way to the printer, and is currently open for pre-orders at a special discounted price. Check it out at http://www.asquaredproductions.com/shop/......life.asp

I've sent sneak previews to a few close friends who hadn't had a chance to see me perform it, and so far the feedback has been wonderful. One even sent me an alternate handling for the link that's really nice and was kind enough to let me include it in the manuscript, so I added it in before I sent it off!

A few of the guys who did see it are members here, so they might be kind enough to share their thoughts on it here or in the review section. Otherwise, a whole bunch of Café members have already taken advantage of the pre-order, so I'm sure they'll be posting their opinions (good or bad, post away, please!) as soon as it officially ships.

-Andy
Luke Dancy
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1163 Posts

Profile of Luke Dancy
Andy was kind enough to allow me a sneak preview of Linked 4 Life. I had a read through the manuscript and I cracked a smile. I'm not much of a rubberband guy but once I get the hang of everything I can see myself using this often. I told Andy that I'm now "Jaded 4 Life" because I would have enjoyed being fooled by this before learning the devilish secret behind it.

Luke
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Linking Rubber Bands!!! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL