The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Linking Rubber Bands!!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
What's the difference between Really Linked and Linked 4 Life? Well...I can't really answer that explicitly without revealing more about Bernard's effect than I'm comfortable doing. Bernard's seen a preview of mine, so if he wants to comment he can.

Otherwise, if you're already familiar with Bernard's effect, you can figure out the key differences (which I feel are HUGE differences) from my description above and/or in the ad on my site. Every word of the ad is 100% honest, cross my heart.
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1095 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
I had the honour of the preview and I like Andy's idea. It is simple and effective.
The difference between his routine and mine is the sleight and the distance the bands are held to show the bands are seperated.
There is something else which is signifcantly different and I can't really say here as it will reveal the effect Smile
If you like rubberband effects, get it. Smile
Bernard Sim
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10726 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Go to magicvideodepot.com, and you can see a demo of Bernard's "Really Linked" routine; it is very visual. Also, I demo Chris Kenner's missing link on the same site.

There is also another effect; Aronson's ring leader rubber band and finger ring. This effect is in his book.
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
Due to many, many requests, I'm working on getting a demo of "Linked 4 Life" done. It will be a few days, because I don't own a dv cam or webcam, but I'm working on it!
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
schmitty65
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of schmitty65
Vinny. Thanks for the website.
bobbymagic
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of bobbymagic
I really like Chris Kenner's linking rubberband trick the best. I find "Really Linked" by Bernard Sim weird and you can't really hand them out, you know what I "mean". All you need is a little glue. You can find the same effect in Dan Harlen's rubberband video vol 3. Anyone who wants to know all about bands, get the 3 videos. THE END!
DaveVegas
View Profile
New user
Leicester,England
89 Posts

Profile of DaveVegas
Check out Dan Harlan's video, bandshark - great stuff in there. I use his linking effect and it really gets a great reaction from people. There's a load of good, useable material there.
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
Bobby,
Obviously I prefer my handling to Bernard's, but I do want to address two comments you made that relate to both.

1)You can really hand them out if you take the time to make the linked set well. I do all the time. This relates to...

2)The instructions on Dan's tape, and Bernard's manuscript, are very sparse and will often lead to your not making a good set. The key is to realize that you are NOT gluing the bands together, if you're using super glue, you are using the glue as a vulcanizing agent to cause the rubber to melt and fuse back together. To do this, you need to use the tiniest amount of glue possible, not even a full drop. If you use too much, the joint is not secure and is easy to see. If you use the right amount, it will hold very well and be invisible unless you're really looking for it. I've had sets I made that it took me a good minute to find the joint when I was looking for it.

You can also use the vulcanizing cement sold with patch kits for bike tires if you can get it. That is a bit easier, since it's made for vulcanizing, but super glue's easier to find cheaply.

If you take the time to make a good set, you'll have no troubles. I have detailed instructions in my manuscript, and Michael Weber published detailed instructions in his effect "Linking Stanley" in Kaufman's Collected Almanac.

--A
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Andy,

That is interesting information. I never knew that Super Glue would fuse the ends together! When you know WHY, it is much easier to make stuff work.

Amos McCormick
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
Glad to help, Amos. A lot of guys leave that out--that's the big flaw in Harlan's explanation on his tape. He just says to put some glue out and dip the end in it, IIRC. You'll get wayyyyyyyy too much glue doing it that way unless you're reallllly controlled in how you dip it (actually, how you touch the band to the pool of glue, dipping is too much).

There are some more finesses to making a perfect join with no excess glue, which you can find in Weber's write-up, or which I detail in my version, as well.
newguy
View Profile
Veteran user
387 Posts

Profile of newguy
It is possible to take a block of soft rubber and cut two linked bands. Martin Gardner explains how in one of his books. If you have a mobius band, just cutting it down the center will produce two actually linked bands.

Nice!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Linking Rubber Bands!!! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL