The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Seen any unicorns lately? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Hearttau
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey: Exit 15 E
423 Posts

Profile of Hearttau
Hi folks,

My primary interest is close-up magic, but over the years I’ve toyed with the idea of doing a ventriloquist routine. Here’s my question. I’ve always had a very specific character in mind – a unicorn. Over the years I’ve looked for one, including over the internet, but surprisingly never found one. I realize it probably needs to be a custom job, but I thought I’d ask here if anyone’s ever seen a unicorn soft puppet similar to Axtell’s style. When I first saw the Axtell dragons, I thought I might find a unicorn, but no luck.

I know I could use a different character, but over the years I’ve come up with various unicorn routines. Here’s an example. “Ulysses, if you’re the last unicorn, where did all the other unicorns go?” “Except for me, they all missed the boat.” “What do you mean, what boat?” “Noah’s ark, of course.” “Well, if all the other unicorns missed the boat, how did you get on board?” “I hid in Mrs. Noah’s luggage.” Smile You get the idea. Thanks for reading this, and any help you can give would be wonderful.
Lentidigitator: “A magic artist who performs slow motion magic”... Rene Lavand

"Peace and all good"... St. Francis

"Hold on to your joy!"... Me Smile

http://mysite.verizon.net/hearttau/
olivertwist
View Profile
Special user
Nashua, NH
578 Posts

Profile of olivertwist
When I saw your post the first thing I thought of was Imaginarium Gallery. Alfred Alfaro is a great figure sculptor and does mythical figures. I checked his site and he even has a unicorn. If the one he has doesn't match what you have envisioned Alfaro has the skills to make exactly what you want.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
Axtell makes a horse puppet. Check in the "Funnyfarm - Barnyard" puppet section at Axtell Expressions. Seems you could add a horn to a horse and make a unicorn. If you wanted a specific color maybe you could contact Steve and see if he could help.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Hearttau
View Profile
Elite user
423 Posts

Profile of Hearttau
Olivertwist,

Alfred Alfaro's creations are wonderful. I noticed the unicorns on the site at least did not have working mouths. I'm going to ask for a quote anyway because the face of one of the unicorns is just what I had in mind. Since I didn't see price info on the site I have the feeling I'll need to prepare myself to save for a very long time. Hopefully I'm wrong but I don't think so. Smile

Regan,

You read my mind, I was thinking of asking Axtell about converting a horse to a unicorn. I was hoping to find a pre-made one to save money before that though. Oh well, it couldn't hurt to ask for a quote.

Thanks to both of you.

Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
I don't know what color the Axtell horse is, but I imagine it is brown. I guess a Unicorn is supposed to be solid white? If so, Axtell might not charge anything extra (or very much) just to make a horse of a different color. (Hey, I've heard that line before somewhere). I'll bet you could make the horn yourself.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Hearttau
View Profile
Elite user
423 Posts

Profile of Hearttau
Regan,

You're right, I suppose I could just add a horn from a plush stuffed unicorn. Color wouldn't really matter. White is traditional with unicorns but brown, like the Axtell horse or even purple like the thoroughbreds of Oz would be fine with me. Smile

I noticed on closer inspection that the standard Axtell horse is really just the neck and head. I'm looking for a full body puppet I can sit on my lap. They have a cow like that so maybe they could do a horse that sits in the lotus position. Smile I'm going to write Axtell after this so I'll let you know what they say.

Thanks again,

Dave

Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
Dave,

Good luck. Let us know how it all turns out.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
Quote:
On 2007-04-23 10:36, Regan wrote:
Dave,

Good luck! Let us know how it all turns out.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Hearttau
View Profile
Elite user
423 Posts

Profile of Hearttau
Here's Steve Axtell's response:

David thanks for your email. We could indeed make you a unicorn. We would basically create a full body pattern for our horse. I think we may have already done this. The unicorn could have the twisted horn on it's head and have custom color fur and painting for approx $500-600. We would add it to the line as we need to do with the full body horse......someday when I can possibly find time. Ahhhh!!!!! So many projects! Ha.

Ax

Steve Axtell
Axtell Expressions, Inc.

So all I need to do now is save my pennies, nickles, dimes, quarters and half dollars. It looks like I may need to give up coin tricks for a while! Smile

Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
Great Dave! I knew Steve could help you!

Regan
Mister Mystery
Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1104 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
You might also contact Cher of "Puppets by Cher." She makes many wonderful creatures and can make you something from scratch. She did a wonderful project for me for less than $300. Also, she donates much of the proceeds to a school for learning disabled children.

http://www.puppetsbycher.homestead.com/

Bob
ChrisJ
View Profile
Loyal user
Lapeer, MI
222 Posts

Profile of ChrisJ
Quote:
On 2007-04-23 11:32, Hearttau wrote:
custom color fur and painting for approx $500-600. We would add it to the line as we need to do with the full body horse......someday when I can possibly find time. Ahhhh!!!!! So many projects! Ha.

Ax

That is a very fair price for a custom piece. Steve and all at Axtell are great folks! Recently recieved the patriotic bird w/bird arm and the larger drawing board and love them!

Will be using them in an upcoming event at my sons school intorducing kids to Ventriloquism. Will be a blast! Smile
Hearttau
View Profile
Elite user
423 Posts

Profile of Hearttau
Thank's Bob,

Cher's puppets are interesting and I certainly commend her charitable work, but the style of her creations is just wrong for what I have in mind. I really appreciate the information however. Thanks again.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Seen any unicorns lately? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL