The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Flare by Alpha Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
DougNicols
View Profile
Special user
846 Posts

Profile of DougNicols
From another board:

FLARE by AlphaMagic - my review

Pyromaniacs rejoice - it's a self-lighting cigarette! Find a lonely spectator or friendly homeless person in need of a smoke, hand them a cigarette from a fresh pack, have them hold it, wait for smoke, then finally BOOM it ignites in a spectacular blaze.

http://www.alphamagic.com/pflare.html
$34.95 (Free shipping worldwide if you don't mind waiting a month)

Or http://www.hocus-pocus.com/magicshop/pro......tem=8542
$34.95 ($6 shipping, arrives in 2-3 days)

Demo:

http://www.alphamagic.com/FA/Video/Flare.wmv

---- What You Get ----

English DVD, subtitles only, no actual speech
Ignition gimmick
Some paper
A template for folding the paper

---- The DVD ----

20 minutes long with zero speech, English subtitles only with fancy moving section previews:

Chapter 1: The Equipment

Part 1 - What is Supplied

(Part 2 - What's NOT supplied: The two chemicals to create an ignition)

Chapter 2: The Preparation

Part 1 - The Cigarette

Part 2 - The Gimmick

Chapter 3: The Performance

Part 1 - The Handling

Part 2 - Subtleties

Chapter 4: Final Words

---- The Chemicals ----

Ah the portion of my review that will prompt the most questions... so I'll break it down:

Rule 1 - you need two chemicals. One's easy to find locally (even at a cake shop!), the other ain't.

Rule 2 - The first chemical is about $4 for a lifetime supply, the second is $15 + shipping for a lifetime supply. And I do mean lifetime.

Rule 3 - You can probably figure out the chemicals using google (things that go BOOM!), but AlphaMagic's gimmick, unique handling of the whole idea, etc make this worth $35.

Rule 4 - Chemicals aren't harmful unless you decide to make a peanut butter sandwich out of them or something silly, and can be handled without gloves.

Rule 5 - The cigarette CAN be smoked afterward since your chemicals have long burned up and all that remains is the tobacco (which is probably more harmful than the chemicals, but I digress).

Chemical 1 - Easily found locally at Hobby Lobby, Michael's, a Cake supply store, pharmacy, whatever for around $4. They recommend a 100% concentration which I easily located at my local Hobby Lobby after a ten minute search (yeah I know, ask the clerks next time).

Chemical 2 - AlphaMagic claims you can obtain this via a pool supply or pharmacy, or even your local chemical store. What the %#$@ is a chemical store? Is that the weird shop next to McDonald's? Dunno about Singapore where they are based, but I have no chemical stores around me.

So I called the pharmacies, who claim this product hasn't been sold in many years and was banned. Oh joy. Pool supply stores said the same thing, and one clerk became weirded out that I'd ask for that product. Said it was used in explosives (well duh!). Never fear, Ebay is here - within 2 minutes I had a large container purchased and shipped to me for about $20 ($15 + $5 shipping). Sniffing around Google scored a few more containers at the same price point, if not cheaper.

After receiving my chems and not yet having the DVD, I proceeded to grab the Papa John's Pizza coupons off my front door handle and combine a big pile of them together outside. After a few seconds, sure enough, they lit up in a spectacular fire, consuming the coupons and leaving a burn stain on the porch.

---- Shipping ----

AlphaMagic is based out of Singapore, where your DVD will be shipped from. Like the idiot I am, wanting to support "the creators", I ordered off their site and took advantage of that free shipping offer. Little did I know it wouldn't arrive until a month later. Next time, check where the vendor is located before hauling off your hard earned cash.

---- The Gimmick ----

You receive a gimmick to light your cigarette, which is very small and will last forever. It has no moving parts, and I guess you could claim "it's made very well". Even better news: If you lose it, you can easily create another gimmick for about a dollar. AlphaMagic recommends attaching the gimmick to the cigarette box or case, although that would seem kinda obvious to me, and makes the smokes container unexaminable.

---- Preparing your cigarettes ----

Ah the joys of smoking - never touching a cigarette in my life, I wander into the local Albertsons and ask for two packs. "What brand?" the girl asks, so I reply whatever's the cheapest honey, I don't smoke. She rolls her eyes and brings back some weird looking short cigarettes. Hotsauce.

Creating the "gimmicked" smokes will require maybe 2 minutes per setup. They can easily be placed back into your cigarette case or box and will last months until you're ready to light up. Your main issue being any smokers in your household who suddenly see a plethora of free cigs and try to smoke them all when you're not looking.

---- Angles ----

Dependent upon your preparation, just about every angle is a good one. With a sloppy prep, you'll definitely want to avoid anybody facing toward the front of the smokes.

---- Performances ----

So I jump outside of my workplace, where the myriads of homeless people gather outside. I stick a cig in my mouth (which probably looked awkward since I've never smoked), and immediately one asks me for a smoke. So I say yes and instruct him to hold it at the tip while I light it for him. A few seconds later it begins to smoke, then goes up on flame as he drops it (chicken!). Every other homeless person is floored, and promptly moves back.

Keep in mind you have 6 - 10 seconds before it lights, so begin time your performance accordingly. After making a couple dozen gimmicks, and inserting the same amount of chem, I know precisely how long before the light up and make my "concentration" more intense just beforehand.

You're instructed on the DVD to hold the smokes in your left hand, then wave your right hand nearby, which I think is lame. I have the spectator hold it, then surround my hands over it ala SPUN until it begins to smoke, then spread my hands out farther and concentrate/constipated grunt then give a half-bodied "push of the mind" as it lights. If you can time it just right with your fingers moving, it looks exactly like a twisted scene from the Firestarter movie.

---- Difficulty ----

Easy, easy, easy. If you scored well in arts and crafts during summer camp, you'll do quite well both creating the gimmick and doing this entire effect. Only hard part is trying not to laugh when people are enthralled by your power of CHI!

---- Conclusion ----

Best $35 I've spent in a long time. Fire effects both capture the imagination and get massive attention from nearby spectators. Even the FISM winning David Stone recommends a fire wallet as an opener in his "Real Secrets of Magic" DVD. When concentrating on the cigarette at first, you receive groans and giggles. But then it begins to smoke and they get quiet very rapidly. When it lights everybody's attention is focused and glued on that cigarette, and best of all there's zero trace left behind.

Some guy on the Café said, "you really think they'll believe you lit a cigarette with your mind?". The answer is yes. A resounding yes.
James Kaine
View Profile
New user
Newington, Ct
74 Posts

Profile of James Kaine
Flare is gone from HP, I did not see it on their website now and too bad I wanted to buy it today
James Kaine

www.jkaine.com
langston3711
View Profile
Loyal user
Cumming, GA
218 Posts

Profile of langston3711
Yeah what's the deal with Hocus Pocus. I was gonna get it today too. Is there anywhere else to get it. I don't want to wait a month to get from Singapore
When a magician lets you notice something on your own, his lie becomes impenetrable
~Teller
MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2574 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
Doug Nichols, that is one of the most thorough reviews I've ever read. Kudos!
Paul Gross
View Profile
Special user
574 Posts

Profile of Paul Gross
Hello,

Flare is in stock for immediate delivery and on our website at Hocus Pocus. Check it out.

Best regards
Paul Gross
Owner
Hocus Pocus
Best Regards,

Paul Gross

Owner

http://www.hocus-pocus.com
DougNicols
View Profile
Special user
846 Posts

Profile of DougNicols
chris_johnson_au
View Profile
Regular user
Queensland, Australia
113 Posts

Profile of chris_johnson_au
Hmmmm one of the chemicals is used to make soap?

Not sodium hydroxide NaOH, is it? (that's the nice substance that gives it that slimy slippery feel when wet as it is "eating" your skin) *wink*
Chris Johnson
0433 181 675
www.thementalist.com.au
DougNicols
View Profile
Special user
846 Posts

Profile of DougNicols
Quote:
On 2007-06-13 09:11, chris_johnson_au wrote:
Hmmmm one of the chemicals is used to make soap? Not sodium hydroxide NaOH, is it?

No, it's also used in cake frosting so it's perfectly fine.
Barry Daugherty
View Profile
Regular user
Indiana
133 Posts

Profile of Barry Daugherty
I, too, purchased Flare about a month and a half ago. I am extremely pleased with my purchase. It's such an interesting idea that is very visual. With a little searching and a little money, I was able to obtain all I needed to do the effect. I'll admit, though, that I don't smoke and I didn't intend to use it with a cigarette. I had visions of a self-lighting candle effect.

Well, that's where the customer service side of this enterprise kicked into gear. I gave a proposal and asked for feedback. And boy, did I receive feedback! The email consisted of chemical equations, little tidbits and suggestions, as well as a full-blown writeup to accomplish my effect. On other occasions, I emailed some of my concerns (most of which had been voiced in this thread) and again received very well-written documentation to support their claim that Flare is safer than you may expect if performed correctly.

There are a lot of up and coming sites with new, flashy products, but I feel Alphamagic may have the right mixture of ideas, creativity, and customer service to be a site to watch. I look forward to upcoming releases.

On a sad note, I was shocked to learn that Kelvin, the person who had written me so many amazing emails, died June 7. He was way too young (29) and I feel the magic world has lost another someone special. My thoughts are with you Alpha and family during this loss.

Sincerely,
Barry
cocomax
View Profile
Loyal user
North Fork, CA
289 Posts

Profile of cocomax
I have been using it with a stick. . . "Have you ever hear of rubbing two sticks together to make fire? Well, I have found that it works better if you use just one stick. . . and a bit of magic. . ." The end of the stick starts smoking and then catches on fire. . .

How:

I just broke a stick off of a tree in the front yard and used a dremmel tool to carve out a hollow in the tip of the stick and it was all ready for flare.

Tim Wisseman
wise owl
View Profile
Special user
Australia
721 Posts

Profile of wise owl
One of the best trick I bought this yr.

First I thought that it is hard to get the 2 chemical based on what this thread suggested. And ebay normally do not ship chemical to Australia. But suprisingly I found both chemical in a chemist shop!! The special one actually can be used for stomach problem?!

Anyway, I think it is an excellent utility for any fire magic tricks
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1650 Posts

Profile of randirain
Great to hear you finally found it Wise Owl.

Randi
MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2574 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
Nice new picture Randirain. Can anyone refer me to where I can find out about the other self-lighting cigarette mentioned? Thanks.
wise owl
View Profile
Special user
Australia
721 Posts

Profile of wise owl
Hi randirain
Thank you for your helps and information again! And yes, while I tried to give up the effect, I found the chemical accidentally. Life is just full of surprise!!

Many thanks again!!

And your new photo look great!!!!
MagicSteve84
View Profile
Loyal user
290 Posts

Profile of MagicSteve84
OK guys! I just received the DVD yesterday from Hocus-Pocus and I am very excited about performing it. I was wondering if any of you have purchased the chemicals online (not ebay), from a chemical supply company? If so, which ones? I want to buy both chemicals in small quantities. I just did a google search and some of the places want me to buy 5 pounds of the stuff! Please point me in the right direction. Thanks!
Lawrens Godon
View Profile
Inner circle
France
1108 Posts

Profile of Lawrens Godon
Hi,

Seing that this gimmick works with cigs, piece of wood, would it work with flash paper alone?
Or a match?

In the affirmative I think I'm gotta purchase the flare power!!

^^
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1650 Posts

Profile of randirain
Lawrens, yes. To answer your question.
But not sure how practical it is.

Randi
Lawrens Godon
View Profile
Inner circle
France
1108 Posts

Profile of Lawrens Godon
Randi, thanks.
I definitly need to ignite a piece of flash paper...
Alpha Magic kindly answered my question, in their own words I should get a more appropriate device. I appreciated the directness, thanks!

So, anyone, any link to an appropriate device?

^^
Barry Daugherty
View Profile
Regular user
Indiana
133 Posts

Profile of Barry Daugherty
I've read good things about Jim Pace's The Igniter. You can find details and a demo here: http://www.funtymemagic.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=4896.

It seems to be one of the better flash paper lighting utilities.

Thanks!
Barry
GarySumpter
View Profile
Special user
UK
857 Posts

Profile of GarySumpter
Sorry if this has been asked before.

Obviously this effect involves a chemical mix, which is preprepared in the cig. But is there a waiting time from setting up for it to go off or do you instigate the reaction yourself?

Just curious as to how much control you have over when it starts!

Cheers

Gary
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Flare by Alpha Magic (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL