The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Double Coincidence by Devin Knight (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Jeff_Mash
View Profile
Veteran user
Bay Area, California
328 Posts

Profile of Jeff_Mash
Devin was kind enough to contact us and let me review this effect before it's release. All I have to say is, "Wow!" This is a mentalist's DREAM, with not one climax but MULTIPLE climaxes.

I want to comment on the QUALITY and work put into making this effect.

First of all, Devin has poured a lot of time and effort into this thing. In addition to the book, you also get a 31 PAGE document explaining all the ins and outs for the handling, including pictures for us visual people!

(And when I say "all the ins and outs," I do mean ALL! Devin goes into superb detail on EVERYTHING needed to pull off this mental miracle. He even covered presentations with this effect that I never even considered.)

One of the awesome selling points of this effect is that it involves two spectators whose random choices removes any doubts of trickery on the magician part.

Two people come on stage. One is given a sealed envelope containing a dictionary.

The other picks up a book on the table. Following me so far? Good.

Spectator #1 (with the dictionary) chooses a random number for the other person to look up in his book. Spectator #2 turns to that page in the book and begins to read the first sentence silently to himself. NOTE: The page number doesn't have to be called out. It can be shown to Spectator #2 silently so the magician doesn't hear what it is.

The magician then asks him to visualize one of the things he read in that sentence. It could be anything. Without fail, the magician is able to describe EXACTLY what the person is merely THINKING about! An effect that could end right there and you'd get your money's worth....but there's more.

The magician then asks the spectator to select any single WORD from that sentence and name it out loud. Completely free choice. He just names the word that he selects. Let's say it's the word 'cadillac.'

Here's the best part!

He has Spectator #1 open up the envelope and remove the dictionary. The magician NEVER TOUCHES IT! The spectator is able to flip through the entire dictionary and see that there are no words circled....EXCEPT FOR ONE! The circled word matches the exact word that Spectator #2 randomly called out! In this case, 'cadillac' was the only circled word in the dictionary, and the spectator (who was holding the book the entire time) can flip through the pages and verify that fact! Remember, the magician never touches the dictionary; it's in the spectator's hands the entire time.

Many effects that have tried to come close to this were never able to have the spectator handle everything, but Devin has come up with a presentation that is truly incredible in eyes of the public. Not one but TWO coincidences! He divines the sentence that was randomly selected from a book, AND a randomly chosen word happens to be the only word circled in a sealed dictionary that is never touched by the magician!

There are a few more kickers that Devin describes which can (and probably should) be done for even greater impact, including a written note which predicts in advance the exact page number in the dictionary that the word will be circled on. Remember, this isn't a forced word that you have to deal with in every performance! The spectator could stop at any word in that sentence and each performance could find you dealing with a different word on a different page!

The effect works great, every time. Like I said, Devin has not only put a lot of time into giving you the best instructions and props to work with, but he has done his research, crediting Al Mann and Mel Strouse for their contributions that helped make Double Coincidence what it is.

I can't wait to read more reviews on this once everyone gets their hands on this effect. Devin, thanks again for letting us at MJM Magic have one of the first looks at it.
Your friend in magic,

Jeff Mash, CEO
MJM Magic - "Magic for Magicians, Jokesters, and Mentalists!"
http://www.MJMMagic.com
IlDaDe
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

Profile of IlDaDe
If is like you described.. Wow:)
Thanks
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
I purchased this from Hocus Pocus and Devin, being a very nice guy, sent me a draft of the instructions to review before the set arrived here.

I buy almost all the booktests on the market [and read them too] and I have to say that this is really diabolical. The ad copy is 100% accurate.

Typical of Devin Knight's thinking, this booktest not only covers the props and routine provided, but also gives Devin's philosophy and subtleties for booktests.

Jeff mentioned above that the instructions are a whopping 31 pages!!! This is totally scripted and taught step by step. I think this booktest is an incredible value at $90. There are only 300 that will ever be produced.

Just to let everyone know, I bought Richard Websters booktest for $100 recently and although I am pleased with it, I think this will play much better.

An excellent value for the money. I can't wait to see what's next from Devin Knight!
James Linn
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
natmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
USA
299 Posts

Profile of natmagic
Sounds great. I also own and use Richard Websters Dictionary Booktest and think it's fantastic. Will also look at getting Devins version also.
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2493 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
Remember with my version you are not limited to the first word on the page of the novel. The person can choose any word from the line and that word is found circled in the dictionary by the spectator holding the dictionary. BTW I think Webster's test is excellent, but we are talking about two different methods and approaches to the problem.
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Quote:
On 2007-04-21 10:35, magicbuilder wrote:
I think Webster's test is excellent, but we are talking about two different methods and approaches to the problem.

Yes, very different. I just meant to say that the Webster test is more expensive
than Devin's test but I feel Devin's will play larger.

Actually, Mother,Key,Ultimate Flashback,Dreamtest, and most of the other upper scale booktests are more expensive than Devin's. Another thing to consider is Devin's test comes with a huge manual and most of the others are just basic instructions.
James
ps
I did buy this if anyone is curious
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2493 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
Considering the cost of most upper end book tests, I consider this to be a real bargain. In fact this is one item that I may have underpriced, but the price is set.
I want to assure the buyers, this is a limited release of 300 and they are selling fast. When gone, there will be no more. There will be no lines that I found another box of books.

This isn't hype, this is a fact. I couldn't make any more even if I wanted too. The trick is based on an unusual feature I found in an out of print novel. I bought up All COPIES I could find of this from the publisher. The book has been out of print for over 10 years. I did research and contacted every book wholesale and closeout place I could find. Nobody else had copies and the book will not be reprinted. The publisher only had 310 copies of the book and I bought all of those.

300 are going on the market and the other 10 books are for my backup as books wear out over time. So this really is a limited release.
cosmicsecret
View Profile
Special user
Germany - Mannheim
504 Posts

Profile of cosmicsecret
Hey,
I had posted this question in the other thread in the "Latest and Greatest" section aswell,so
now I ask you guys : Would it be possible,to perform this routine in any other language (in my case german)?
That would be like buying a Dodge Viper (which is a hot car!)from the staates ,and cant drive it in germany unless I get it modded .I hope you get the subliminal relation.
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2493 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
I thought I PM you on this. You could convert a German dictionary using the gimmick I supply with the trick. However you could only do part of the trick, such as having the freely chosen word from a German Novel appear circled in the dictionary you didn't touch. You could reveal the gist of the sentence they read. HOWEVER, to do the part where the person just thinks of an object in the sentence, and you accurately describe it with no fishing requires the special novel I include.
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5408 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
Devin,

Are you saying that in essence you can perform up to 3/4 of the effect in any other language?

That's very good to know.
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2493 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
Yes about 3/4 of it. It will take some work to gimmick up the dictionary, however I have done all the hard work for you when you get the English Version.
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
Quote:
On 2007-04-21 06:13, Xiqual wrote:
There are only 300 that will ever be produced.

An excellent value for the money. I can't wait to see what's next from Devin Knight!
James Linn

This has echoes (limited number of tests made) of Keith Field's "Insight" book test all over it! Once gone, these will be gone for good!

I'm very picky about the book tests I use, and after speaking with Devin in depth about this one, I know I will use this in my own work.

Also, although Devin is a friend and we have teamed up together for another release, I PAID FOR MY OWN COPY OF DOUBLE COINCIDENCE! It's that good, and I am happy to support this work.

To another BIG HIT!
Jerome.
"Join my update list here!" http://eepurl.com/uE3Jf
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5408 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
I posted my comments and thoughts, here

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......15&0
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
jhard
View Profile
Regular user
Dallas, TX
135 Posts

Profile of jhard
Devin uses the basics from his "Chess Gambit", which I use quite often. The only thing I don't like is the pre-show work, even though its miniscule. For those, like me, who don't like pre-show work, Devin has given us alternatives, and I appreciate that. I do wish, however, that he could have warned us that we are paying, in part, for the "Chess Gambit" method. That little minor irritation is soothed by the dictionary ending, which is absolutely super. I might add that the book supplied for the test is just the right size for what you have to do and can be seen in a large room.
Success to all.
Mariagi
View Profile
Special user
MIND, MYTH & MAGICK
654 Posts

Profile of Mariagi
Is another effect: that's all

I know many effects with similar methods but they are different: in this case we also pay for the effect;a good effect
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
This is one book test that I really, REALLY like a lot! I had the instructions prior to receiving my books, and was already impressed with the method, handling, layer of effects and structure of the test. They are phenomenal! I love book tests, and this one is an instant favorite.

Devin is a friend, but I still paid for this test. This really is excellent, and of course, I want to support quality products without having the rug pulled out from under me!!!

I'm starting a new stage show (locally, with another performer), and this is THE book test to include, AS A CLOSER. Folks, this is a true show stopper! I called Devin and told him the only "problem" I have with his book test "Double Coincidence" is that perhaps it is TOO strong and I won't be able to follow it with anything I am currently performing. That says a lot. I'm sure it could be done, but I'm warning you here . . . if you include this in the middle of your show, people might not watch the rest!

I love the premise and the method is bold yet subtle and very clever with top quality books. I love how Devin thinks and works, and his simple solutions make for very exciting possibilities when it comes to IMPOSSIBLE looking feats of magic and mind reading (mentalism especially!)

For the price, this is a steal. For those of you familiar with Devin's products, you know that he provides quality props with full instructions that cover EVERYTHING. His products ship fast, and the packaging is excellent.

Also, the test is very user friendly, having had some time to test the waters with it already. I am very comfortable using this and will begin scripting a presentation for it immediately.

With a bit of work (all presentation, as Devin has taken care of EVERYTHING else), I'm confident that those interested will have a high powered MIRACLE which will prove difficult to top or follow.

Get em' while they're HOT!!!

Best,
Jerome Finley.
"Join my update list here!" http://eepurl.com/uE3Jf
Jeff_Mash
View Profile
Veteran user
Bay Area, California
328 Posts

Profile of Jeff_Mash
BTW...these are in stock and shipping fast at MJM! We still have a few left in case anyone hasn't gotten them yet. Remember that only a certain number were made and once they are gone, they're gone forever!
Your friend in magic,

Jeff Mash, CEO
MJM Magic - "Magic for Magicians, Jokesters, and Mentalists!"
http://www.MJMMagic.com
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2493 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
Here is what Osterlind said after seeing the trick:

"Double Coincidence is the type of quality mentalism that I used to buy when I first started out. The effect is strong, the gimmicking is clever and surefire and the props are top notch! Finally, the apparatus leaves enough room to tailor the effect to fit your own particular needs and performing style. I recommend Double Coincidence highly!

Richard Osterlind"
Eric Gretencord
View Profile
Regular user
Houston, TX
165 Posts

Profile of Eric Gretencord
This is really good! Multtiple techniques, revelations and progressive climaxes are built into this clever book test. The instructions are typical Devin Knight.. very in-depth and thorough. My only dislike is the pre-show work (which is covered over pages) even though it is not required. Without the work, the dynamic of one part of the overall presentation is somewhat lessened (and you are only provided with one pre-show alternative).
He who wonders discovers that this in itself is wonder.
-M. C. Escher
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3100 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
Let me preface this by saying that a) I'm very happy with this purchase, as it's truly a great value, and b) I'm a big fan of Devin's work, and Double Coincidence stands up against his best material.

Now for my one issue. I do take exception to the accuracy of the opening paragraph in the product description (the ad on magic sites). This isn't merely a problem of semantics, but it is relevant to some of the pre-show work comments that others have made.

Everything else is so well articulated (from the ad content to the superb 30 page manual), that I was quite surprised by this issue, which cannot simply be an oversight.

Otherwise, I remain happy with Double Coincidence, and maintain it is a great value.

Am I alone in this observation?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Double Coincidence by Devin Knight (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL