The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pardon me, sir... » » Watch steals from the audience (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tomter
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of tomter
I am new to pickpocketing and in fact don't particularly want to do it. However I do want to perfect a watch steal but not as part of a close up magic trick. I want to do it from the stage. I intend to go into the audience and hold a spectator by the wrist with my left hand and his upper arm with my right hand and guide him to the stage stealing his watch as I do so. I have seen one particularly skilled performer do this.
I must emphasise that I have no intention of stealing the watch once the person has arrived on stage. I want to do it before they arrive there.

My question is this. I know that I can do this with a leather strap on the watch and believe I would have no problem with it. However I am wondering about other types of straps and bands. Can they be taken as easily as the leather straps by using this method of grabbing the spectator's wrist and guidng them to the stage or can it only be done as part of a close up trick which gives you the time to do the dirty work?
James Harrison
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
762 Posts

Profile of James Harrison
Chappy Brazil's dvd explains how to take any kind of watch, but only during the trick.

There are methods of taking a leather band watch and an expandable elastic watch on Mark Raffles dvd. If you watch Chappy's dvd, you can also figure out how to take a flip tab watch as well.

Now unless someone has figured out a way and not let the rest of the magic community in on it, these are the only ones that are in print or on video for taking while leading the spectator up.

But if you don't want to do it, then why bother? If you have a bad taste in your mouth about it, remove it from the act.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2113 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
I'm gonna tip this...here...but I'm gonna delete it in a few weeks...

Before I could do watch steal I used to use instant stooging to get the spec to tell the audience that the watch I "stole" was theres. All you need is a decent looking cheap watch. And a guy with no watch and better if he long sleeves. Oh yeah, you need chops too!

I would just whisper off the microphone, as he comes on stage or during part of the routine, "later on I want you to say that the watch is yours" You can do some cool stuff such as making the watch appear in a nest of boxes ect with no dirty work!

At the end "I would say that's a present for you" into the microphone (while people are laughing I'd say off the microphone "to keep a secret." Give a little wink and a smile and hand it too him. Look to do this with a guy on his own or a guy with just one person. If he's with a family his kids might scream something how that's not his watch.

It gives the impression that you can steal watches which is a great extra string to your bow. It has never not worked.

Good luck and hope this might work for you.

Best,

M:C
Butterfly Man
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of Butterfly Man
M:C ... I think you are right on ... the important part is that the audience gets to be entertained ... so many people go on stage trying to show-off ... big mistake ... it's the performer that realizes it's all about THEM ... they are the one's that survive in this business... good on ya for knowing that instinctively.

P.S. I got to see Ricky Dunn at the Castle before he passed and even got to milk him for the 5-fingered Spandex watch steal ... the guy was old school ... but his skill ... whew ... gotta love watchin' that stuff, learning it ... I mean some of the technical stuff ..I don't think so ... too many laughs that I haven't gotten on stage to spend that much time on it offstage ... I'll settle for the occasional easy mark (I always look). Thanks for the tip ...
Magic isn't what it seems
It's found in thoughts and words and dreams
Evilstalkerhorne
View Profile
New user
USA Waterloo Iowa
70 Posts

Profile of Evilstalkerhorne
Would it also help to maybe have a selected person in the audience with a watch on that knows you are about to steal it and let you do it? This, I think, would help as kind of a type of magic training wheels. You practice in front of a audience, and then you also practice your technique without the fears of getting caught or offending another person by touching them wrong. Once you get it down, then try the real thing with someone you know won't kick your behind, and then move onto the real thing after a few more successes. That is how I would start with something like that. What I think would be hard is knowing where that *** wallet is with pockets, and then there is the chain issue. I never want to get picked, so I have an over-sized chromed chain on mine with a skull and crossbones metal buckle attached to the outside of the wallet itself. I find that it catches and rattles like you wouldn't believe whenever I move, much less try to pry it free.
mesmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1186 Posts

Profile of mesmer
Courtney Grant in one of Kenton Knepper's booklet, I think it's in his "Twist and Trances" had a clever Watch Steal witout a Steal and without an Istant Stooge, the spectator that the watch you borrow does not had the feel that you pretend to steal it, but the whole audience did see it as if you steal his watch, it's also employ a dual reality...since it is his works, I can not tip any further...so check em out
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pardon me, sir... » » Watch steals from the audience (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL