We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Tom Mullica (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Chris Becker
View Profile
Veteran user
New York, NY
371 Posts

Profile of Chris Becker
His smoke ring sight gag is pretty much the funniest thing I have seen in any magic act.

I noticed there's no thread on Mullica, so here we go. The entire act is pretty funny, has anyone ever taken on cigarette eating after him?
- - -
<BR>Cards don't cheat people. People cheat people.
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
A friend of mine does the cigarette eating. It's a sight to behold but not before lunch.
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Transylvania
1353 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
I am still working on his cigarette eating routine. I can do it with 6 lit cigarettes now and I am still working my way up. his material is great. his smoke ring gag is something that I use in every show. it's hilarious!!!!
good to see that I am not the only one still defending cigarette magic;)

-Matt
The masters make the rules, for the wise men and the fools
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1851 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
Cigarette magic is becoming an endangered species! With so few public places allowing it, and the general bad association with smoking, few people are doing cigarette tricks anymore.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20662 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It is one reason that slowed Tom himself down.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
unclesamayen
View Profile
Elite user
Taiwan
462 Posts

Profile of unclesamayen
Jeff Hobson has a cigarette eating magic in his "Jeff Hobson Live" DVD
It's hilarious!
Check it out
Comedy, Mental, Busking.
Performing magic for the blinds.
http://youtu.be/nW3O0nucQUI
Busking in Mong Kok
http://youtu.be/WqohXqTxRVU
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
No. Tom is/was in a class all by himself. He quit magic and has morphed into Red Skelton...

Magic's loss.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Tom said he didn't mind tipping his act because he doubted anyone would ever do it as it's painful.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Transylvania
1353 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
That's what he told me as well when I mailed him asking for some advice regarding the routine. anyway, there is not much to be said as it is just what it seems to be.

-Matt
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2122 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Tom Mullica imo is one of the greatest comedy magicians ever. He uses a lot of old lines, but he does them 100x better than most.

His timing and skill is flawless.

I did see him drop a pen once though.

And the smoke ring gag is very funny! Thought he was going to go somewhere with the ring!

I bet he's laughing at everyone that tries to do his cigarette eating routine, if you know what I mean Smile

M:C
honus
View Profile
Veteran user
354 Posts

Profile of honus
Quote:
On 2007-04-24 16:07, Justin Style wrote:
No. Tom is/was in a class all by himself. He quit magic and has morphed into Red Skelton...

Magic's loss.
Indeed. But his Red Skelton show is terrific. If you're ever in Branson, run, do not walk, to his show. Or, you can buy a DVD of the show from Tom's website. (You can buy DVD's of the real Skelton while you're there.)
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Transylvania
1353 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
That's the difference mates between him and most of the comedy magicians perfomring nowadays. one small difference that I did not mention-vodka induced memory lacks...sorry...he IS funny! not to mention his sleight of hand abilities!
and yes, if I was in his place, I would laugh my never-performed lipo-suction off if anyone tried my cigarette eating routine. the man worked his inner-mouth parts of skin to accomplish that and finally performed it with flair!
but there are still blokes with a lot of time and devotion on their hands that put a lot of effort in the material and try to keep cigarette magic alive!
all the best to ya

-Matt

Oh, and another thing...my deepest appologies go out to those who perform gospel comedy. I really don't see how that exists but excuse my limiteed mind and shy understanding...just don't read please. for your own good
TroyRoark
View Profile
Loyal user
Springfield IL
282 Posts

Profile of TroyRoark
Anyone ever see Harold Russel do his smoking routine. He plays a drunk who keeps lighting cigarettes and putting them in his jacket, lit. His jacket finally goes up in smoke as he runs off stage.

I rivals Mullica, and it's one of the few things that do. I guessing Tom would agree.

Got to see Tom do his cigarettes at a close-up show in St. Louis at the Midwest Magic Jubillee years ago. I was in the front row and saw nothing.
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Transylvania
1353 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
Couldn't find any footage of Harold Russel but I'll keep at it!
thanks for the info

-Matt
munkywrench
View Profile
Loyal user
Conway, SC
295 Posts

Profile of munkywrench
Skelton was Mulica's mentor and helped to clean him up. Glad to see him carrying on with his friend's tradition.
Family Biz. https://www.facebook.com/dreamweaverconway/
Disciple of the Close-Up Kinda Guy PH.
Balloon Blast Video Show junkie.
Supporter of http://www.myrtlebeachmagician.com/
Retired Demo Dude
IBM #334 supporter
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Transylvania
1353 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
What do you mean by "clean him up" ?

-Matt
Trois
View Profile
Special user
Myrtle Beach
594 Posts

Profile of Trois
He told him to stop with the off-color material, so he can be able to work anywhere in the world. So he gave him some of his good lines to use instead.
Not clever enough to come up with something orginal, or did I.
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Transylvania
1353 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
I see. thank you Trois for that...it sounded a little rehabish at first Smile
I am sure that Skelton improved every aspect of Tom's performance in the years he was his mentor.

-Matt
archini
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
307 Posts

Profile of archini
There is a young guy over her that does the cigarette act very well. With Tom's permission too I believe. He's called Pete Firman. Sadly I don't think there is a video anywhere but he does it very well.

J
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Transylvania
1353 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
Congrats to the lad!!! I am still working on the routine and I can honestly say that it takes a lot of time, practice and literally pain Smile
if you stumble upon a video of him performing it be sure to let us know!

-Matt
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Tom Mullica (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL