The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » A Couple Dice Videos... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
walking_liberty
View Profile
Elite user
459 Posts

Profile of walking_liberty
Here's a couple dice videos I said I'd post. They're from a while back. I'll try to post a few new ones soon if anyone's interested. Including a holdout switch, using a holdout that was a collaboration between me and Doc.

-Here's my "fingertip switch." It's real quick and it's one I use all the time. I also have close to 20 variations of it.

http://download.yousendit.com/BD0C6908130E44AD

-Here's some control shots. I'm gonna film a longer video soon.

http://download.yousendit.com/5B5D3BE55A7BC388

And please don't post these on youtube.
TheTurk_NYC
View Profile
New user
NYC
1 Post

Profile of TheTurk_NYC
Those moves are awesome, thanks for posting.
Pavloter
View Profile
Special user
529 Posts

Profile of Pavloter
Man that's wicked switchs, and controls are really good as well. Can't say much, as I don't do dices myself, but thanks for posting.
Pavlo
Mr. Z
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas, NV
826 Posts

Profile of Mr. Z
Nice work. A few comments: Your "fingertip switch" is simply the classic palm switch, hardly yours. It's understandable though, as most magicians are in the dark on that one. You are right in that there are numerous variations on it, but it all goes back to the basic technique. The dropping motion is a common one, although I think you're exaggerating it a bit too much and bringing the hand up so high risks flashing from a multitude of angles.

The controlled shots are cool, but for demonstration's sake it might be better to simply control one combination over and over again. Don't take it personal, but as a viewer, for all we know you could've just been throwing them on the square and then recorded a voiceover. Obviously that's not the case, but you don't want to leave any doubt.

Again, nice work. You don't often see magicians fooling with dice work so it's always refreshing to see some for a change.
"...if you have to say you is, you ain't."--Jimmy Hoffa
MagicKim
View Profile
Special user
Ĺland, Finland
620 Posts

Profile of MagicKim
I don't know much about dice eventhough I am actually on my way now to buy some Smile. I really liked the videos. Great job!

Kim
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15919 Posts

Profile of tommy
Looked cool. Thanks but like Kim I know little of dice.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
M for Magic
View Profile
Special user
676 Posts

Profile of M for Magic
Nicely done!
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Cool video, nice controls. Thanks!
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
walking_liberty
View Profile
Elite user
459 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-04-25 07:09, Mr. Z wrote:
Nice work. A few comments: Your "fingertip switch" is simply the classic palm switch, hardly yours. It's understandable though, as most magicians are in the dark on that one. You are right in that there are numerous variations on it, but it all goes back to the basic technique. The dropping motion is a common one, although I think you're exaggerating it a bit too much and bringing the hand up so high risks flashing from a multitude of angles.

The controlled shots are cool, but for demonstration's sake it might be better to simply control one combination over and over again. Don't take it personal, but as a viewer, for all we know you could've just been throwing them on the square and then recorded a voiceover. Obviously that's not the case, but you don't want to leave any doubt.

Again, nice work. You don't often see magicians fooling with dice work so it's always refreshing to see some for a change.

Mr. Z,

Thank you for you comments and compliments.

I'd like to clarify though, that I'm not a "magician." I'm very interesetd in magic and I enjoy collecting it, but I don't perform it. Even for friends and family.

I started doing the monte and shell game in miami when I was 17. I did it for 3 years straight. I'm now 24 and all of my money comes from dice and card games. It's not a lot, but it's enough.

As for the fingertip switch. That's just what I call it. I never claimed it to be original to me. Saying "here's my fingertip switch..." was like me saying "here's my bottom deal..." And the angles aren't as bad as they may seem. When my hand comes up my fingers close slightly. The only glimpse you could ever get is directly to the left and that's where my partner goes. If I'm out alone I use a different variation or a different switch.

And for the control shots I would assume that shooting the same comination over and over again would just have people saying that I was using loaded dice or blister pack dice or something. I'll just post a new video shooting 2 through 12.
walking_liberty
View Profile
Elite user
459 Posts

Thanks for the comments guys. I appreciate it.
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Looks good enough to collect some change. The pause on the load is kind of a gimme but practice reading before picking them and they will roll into place without a second thought. This is where learning a bit of magic will help out. You will pick up the "meaningless stall chatter" that gets people thinking and keeps their eyes off what is going on. The patter gives you time to work the magic and avoid the tells. Long BS stories work well. Remember when you shoot film like this you are under the gun and every little off spec can be picked apart forward and reverse.

The real world is forward motion and you have some nice moves. I tell everyone the same thing, don't play with bad equipment. There is no reason for it when you can work the same miracles with straight gear.

Nice work. Thanks for sharing. Shoot some holdout vids and frame the unit for the wall. You know the greatest secret out there, and that's work to gain skill where the equipment is legit.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Pavloter
View Profile
Special user
529 Posts

Profile of Pavloter
Quote:
On 2007-04-25 18:43, KingStardog wrote:
Looks good enough to collect some change. The pause on the load is kind of a gimme but practice reading before picking them and they will roll into place without a second thought. This is where learning a bit of magic will help out. You will pick up the "meaningless stall chatter" that gets people thinking and keeps their eyes off what is going on. The patter gives you time to work the magic and avoid the tells. Long BS stories work well. Remember when you shoot film like this you are under the gun and every little off spec can be picked apart forward and reverse.

The real world is forward motion and you have some nice moves. I tell everyone the same thing, don't play with bad equipment. There is no reason for it when you can work the same miracles with straight gear.

Nice work. Thanks for sharing. Shoot some holdout vids and frame the unit for the wall. You know the greatest secret out there, and that's work to gain skill where the equipment is legit.

Well I don't think he will be using for magic, well maybe he will, but it will be not his first use of it.
Pavlo
walking_liberty
View Profile
Elite user
459 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-04-25 18:43, KingStardog wrote:
Remember when you shoot film like this you are under the gun and every little off spec can be picked apart forward and reverse.

I realize that, and I'm fine with it. The things that can be picked apart in videos aren't an issue in a live dice game with people counting their money, placing bets, and talking.

I appreciate all your comments King, thanks.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15919 Posts

Profile of tommy
They use a cup to throw the dice here in England when playing Backgammon but they play for high stakes. I think that game is wide open for you dice guys.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Expertmagician
View Profile
Inner circle
2475 Posts

Profile of Expertmagician
My favorate was the control shots...I saw Steve Forte do some whip shots a couple of months ago and he banked them off the backboard....his looked great !
Long Island,

New York
walking_liberty
View Profile
Elite user
459 Posts

Thanks Expert. Steve does has a nice whip shot.

When I shoot on a pool table I bank em off the sides. The shots look good hitting off one or two sides of a pool table. Really convincing.
walking_liberty
View Profile
Elite user
459 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-04-25 21:29, tommy wrote:
They use a cup to throw the dice here in England when playing Backgammon but they play for high stakes. I think that game is wide open for you dice guys.

There's a lot to be done with a dice cup. "Dice Holdout Methods for Magicians" is a great book on using cups.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15919 Posts

Profile of tommy
Thank you kindly sir.

Tommy
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2472 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
I quite enjoyed Dice Holdout Methods. Great book. I also like Marlo's expose' at the end of Shoot the Works. Nice way to start to get informed!!

Thanks for posting these videos.

RevJohn
Expertmagician
View Profile
Inner circle
2475 Posts

Profile of Expertmagician
Quote:
On 2007-04-25 22:23, walking_liberty wrote:
Thanks Expert. Steve does has a nice whip shot.

When I shoot on a pool table I bank em off the sides. The shots look good hitting off one or two sides of a pool table. Really convincing.

Very cool ! ... I guess the shape of the sides of a pool table actually help because of the cushion shape.

I have not spent any time practicing controlled dice shots. But, it is a joy to watch an expert at work Smile

Thanks for sharing !
Long Island,

New York
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » A Couple Dice Videos... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL