The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Www.MissEdith.de (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Edith
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
130 Posts

Profile of Edith
Hi there,

http://www.MissEdith.de is my new homepage. I have had it for about a week now. I did it all by myself and by hand...

Any suggestions and critique is welcome. I am still improving it.

Thank you,

Edith
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
Your site looks great Edith, I love your baloon animal belt!
I'll look forward to seeing your 'stageshow' page.
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
Quote:
have her act in a fixed programm

Just a minor point, but "programm" is actually spelled "program". Other than that, your site appears to be coming along nicely. The pictures were very well done.
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
Moth
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of Moth
Looks lovely! And thanks for including it in English...

I believe "programme" may be acceptable for your side of the ocean - and I applaud your clear design style and clear self-starter-ness!
Edith
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
130 Posts

Profile of Edith
Thank you for your feedback. I fixed the spelling on program. I am happy you like it...
The pictures of the fireworks I took two years ago on New Year's Eve, all the others except one were either taken by me or my mom just two weeks ago.
Ethan the emazing
View Profile
Elite user
anywhere but here USA
454 Posts

Profile of Ethan the emazing
Nice design edith.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17197 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Not bad looking at all, not real sure about the picture on your stage show page, but over all looks pretty good.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
I agree with Photius about the stage picture. Have no idea what, exactly, it was a picture of. What I think would be really cute, especially since your stage act is a work in progress, is a drawing or cartoon showing people in various stages (no pun intended) of putting up a stage and scenery. Sort of like kids creating the set for a school play!
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3987 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Ausgeseichnet!

- Mark
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of leapinglizards
I just tried the link and it said the site was unavailable.
Leaping Lizards!!! Who knew it was possible.
<BR>
<BR>www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com
Edith
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
130 Posts

Profile of Edith
Well I don't know what happened. For me the link is working right now... Smile
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24263 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Ausgezeichnet!

I got the joke about the Stageshow, even if the rest of the guys didn't.

I shall explain it, for the benefit of my American colleagues.

She is working on her show. This is a picture of someone working.

You had to be there.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Ethan the emazing
View Profile
Elite user
anywhere but here USA
454 Posts

Profile of Ethan the emazing
I didn't get it at first... I like the idea of the kids setting up a stage.
Edith
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
130 Posts

Profile of Edith
Hahaha all you guys are amusing... this stage show picture just shows old rusty cages.... and a soccer ball, and a construction machine behind those old and rusty boxes... I took this at a dumpster...
But I am glad you all take guesses which means I might even change the picture or have none at all...
Edith
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
130 Posts

Profile of Edith
Now I changed the picture of my stageshow... better? Smile
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
You have a lovely smile. Redo the photo and smile this time. Smile
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1878 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
The site shows a lot of personality, and that is great. Makes me wish I had a daughter. I agree with Jaz - let's see your smile more!

On the ballon portion, I would pose with a smiling child with easily recognisable ballooons, and I don't think the deflated balloon picture is a good idea. Many people may not recognise it as a balloon and think it is a weird used . . . . anyway.

For the Kids Show, the baby is cute, and I would keep it, BUT . . . I would have some pictures of an actual kid's show and talk a little about it. You could give people the idea you entertain babies with cards. Yes that is stupid, but I have seen it done (or tried).

Since you are young, you may get a lot of people who do not wish to pay much, if anything, taking advantage of your youth. I would state your prices, make sure they are appropriate, and stick to them.

Good luck!
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
It is a nice start and it can be improved, there are some very good suggestions above.
Dennis Michael
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Noobini
Ok Fräulein, this has potential. But I see some possible problems. I should mention up front that my brain doesn't store technical information on web design/programming (which unlike "program" should have 2 m's, I suddenly became confused and had to look it up), so you may want to ask someone more knowledgeable (I looked up that one too, loosing my english confidence completely now) than me before changing anything.

Now then. Let the happy merciless schlacht commence:

First of all your first front page has a content rederict to the server on which the pages are hosted (the "pytalhost" page, presumably your isp). Normally I would expect fowarding to a subdomain to be done with www forwarding of the domain name itself so that when one enters your address, the web browser goes straight to the "real" location of the pages, but still retains your domain name url in the address bar. Here I think it functions differently. Your menu links are to the "real" address of the page. This should not be neccessary if the domain is properly forwarded. The links should function as yourdomain/nameofpage and not a full link to your area of the provider's server.

I'm not sure how you have done this. It may be fine, but I fear that the content forwarding may be a problem since you also have a "nofollow" and a "noindex" tag in the header of that same page, essentially telling search engines like Google to ignore your pages beyond that point.

If you want people to only find your front page and not be able to stumble upon a subpage, you can use these tags, but the problem is that you have your meta description tags (nicely done in two languages) in the "real" homepage behind the front and not in the first front page that your domain address leads to. (That was confusing. I need food.) So a search engine will probably not see the meta tags. This is my understanding of how this works anyway. But I'm no expert. Further more you have no meta keywords only the descriptions.

All in all I would like to see more content here. Ok... I understand that it is a work in progress. But if I want to book you for a erstkommunionsfeier or any other hochzeit I need to at least know which country you are currently available in. Now I have to go all the way to the bottom of your german bio page to see that you are currently based in Germany and not say... Austria or Pennsylvania or somewhere else where I know they speak german. Smile

Scenario 1: You are looking for a magician to entertain your darling little children somewhere in Germany and you hit Google as well as yellow pages or other popular start pages for surfing family folk, and look for someone in the categories magician or entertainer. You must be one of those search results. If not there are plenty of others who are.

Scenario 2: Someone looking for something completely different stumbles upon a Google result about the cows in your home village or Rochester or something else you have mentioned by name somewhere on the site and continues reading. The reader suddenly thinks "hmmm... I wonder if this will be a good idea for Hampi's birthday next month". Scenario 2 is important because a lot of web discoveries are done by chance. It requires the pages to be interesting once you have hit the site by chance. Something magical. A video clip would be perfect. At least more information.

Scenario 2 requires the photos on the page to have descriptions so that Google Image Search can stumble upon them. Many pages are discovered through image searches.

Ok... now for some dinner. Good luck!
"Talk about melodrama... and being born in the wrong part of the world." (Raf Robert)
"You, my friend, have a lot to learn." (S. Youell)
"Nonsensical Raving of a lunatic mind..." (Larry)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Www.MissEdith.de (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL