The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Soft coins, anyone? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
ithomson
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of ithomson
Quote:
On 2007-05-08 08:12, enginemagic wrote:
Nail polish might make them too slipery ...

Other way around. It actually makes them a little "clingy", if anything.

Ian
giobbi1
View Profile
Loyal user
252 Posts

Profile of giobbi1
Quote:
On 2007-04-25 16:52, WhiteAngel wrote:
Is there are way to make your coins "soft"? Or are these something that simply has to be purchased?

The easiest and maybe even cheaper method is what someone suggested below. Go to any relatively large coin dealer and tell him you want to see his junk coins. They usually keep them in a box under the counter. You should find a large selection and be able to match dates, wear amount, etc. That is how I got mine and I think paid under $10.00 each. The edges still had plenty of grip, but the faces were very soft. Good luck.
WhiteAngel
View Profile
Loyal user
West Virginia, USA
269 Posts

Profile of WhiteAngel
Yeah, Nail Polish made them too sticky for me, anyway.
True illusionists strive to decieve the eye AND the mind.....
ithomson
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of ithomson
Quote:
On 2007-05-08 18:59, WhiteAngel wrote:
Yeah, Nail Polish made them too sticky for me, anyway.

Leave them to dry for longer.

I'm not going to evangelise about this any more, but having seen many people work with slicks, and having worked with them myself, I much prefer this chemical method even though it took me a little while to get used to the handling. You get softer coins for less money and less hassle; you can treat ordinary, everyday coins to switch for borrowed coins without suspicion (this works great for £2 coins, for all UK people reading); you can even spend them when you're done.

And don't forget this process leaves the coins looking like coins. Not tiny discs of polished metal.

But, as always, please feel free to disagree. That leaves the market open for me, after all.

Cheers

Ian
jimmyj
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of jimmyj
Hello,
I'm surprised-or either I missed it-about using a wet stone. These can be picked up at hardware stores. They're used for sharpening knives and other grinding tasks. You should also buy some wet stone oil. Water will also do. I learned this from a DVD. The gentlemen said it was a tip from Dai Vernon, to make your coins "soft" The same gentlemen-I don't know if I'm at liberty to say who- also spoke, apparently, to a man who grinds lenses. Anyway, here's the tip:

Buy a circular wet stone, with oil, preferably.
Get the finest grit possible. Too harsh a grit will ruin them. You can also pick up a finishing stone. They're usually white in color, with a very, very fine grit.
Lay the coin unto the surface and rub in a figure 8 pattern. This is the info from the lens maker. If you just rub in a circular motion, one edge of the coin will become concave, the other edge will become convex. So figure 8 only.
Be careful. Experiment on coins you don't care about, initially, until you get the feel for what you're doing. Don't forget. Clad coins will eventually show the copper underneath.

I've done it. On my Morgans. Mind you, I didn't go crazy and rub the relief off of the coins, and I was very, very careful.And I finished up with a very, very fine Finishing stone. So slick, you couldn't even tell anything was happening. They came out softer. Still not completely noiseless, but since my first kick at the can was successful, and no damage was done to the Morgans, I can always go back for "round two".
By the way, I tried this on clad Kennedy halfs, and it ruined them. It didn't surpise me though.

Just a tip. Experiment at you own risk. Be careful and start with junk.
Jim.
enginemagic
View Profile
Special user
Bluffton Indiana
597 Posts

Profile of enginemagic
I took your advice(below) & went to a local coin dealer at our mall in fort wayne IN.The store is called Z-Z coins & stamps,Inc.they had some small boxes with really soft(more like liquid!!!)coins LOL.
some were almost smooth where you couldn't tell what they were,the price ranged from $5 to $6.95 each I bought 2. walking liberty halfs & 2. 1842 large pennys(just a little smaller than the half dollar.
I was suprised how well I handled them in the popular holds
Quote:
On 2007-05-08 12:53, giobbi1 wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-04-25 16:52, WhiteAngel wrote:
Is there are way to make your coins "soft"? Or are these something that simply has to be purchased?

The easiest and maybe even cheaper method is what someone suggested below. Go to any relatively large coin dealer and tell him you want to see his junk coins. They usually keep them in a box under the counter. You should find a large selection and be able to match dates, wear amount, etc. That is how I got mine and I think paid under $10.00 each. The edges still had plenty of grip, but the faces were very soft. Good luck.
theres a lot to learn out there,many interesting subjects,and hobbies to enjoy
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
martinsburg west virginia
1693 Posts

Profile of mystre71
Quote:
On 2007-05-01 16:05, WhiteAngel wrote:
A rock tumbler....I'll have to try that one, think those ones at walmart for kids would work?

I've tried this with a Walmart tumbler, awhile ago. the coins started to get pitted pretty bad, but shinny, I think if I would have left them in longer it would have worked fine, but I gave up and just got some soft coins from a coin shop.

Best,
Joe
Walk around coin box work check it out here https://www.magicalmystries.com/products
munkywrench
View Profile
Loyal user
Conway, SC
298 Posts

Profile of munkywrench
You asked and unlike the many hater you shall recieve. Use a Dremel. The cordless version is the right speed. Use the purple, gray, and black polishing tips.(kinda like steel wool). Hope this helps. I tried othe methods and many coin guys are impressed at how I got mine soft without messing up the features of the coins. By the way you will invest plenty of time doing this.
Family Biz. https://www.facebook.com/dreamweaverconway/
Disciple of the Close-Up Kinda Guy PH.
Balloon Blast Video Show junkie.
Supporter of http://www.myrtlebeachmagician.com/
Retired Demo Dude
IBM #334 supporter
mkiger
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mkiger
Check the wet/dry sandpaper in the automotive parts store. It has grit fine enough to put a mirror finish on the coins (1200-6000).
enginemagic
View Profile
Special user
Bluffton Indiana
597 Posts

Profile of enginemagic
Another fine grit to use is lapping powder for the faces of the spring pack seals on many machines will do well.theres hundreds of ways to acheive a smooth soft coin ,getting creative will do the job
enginemagic
View Profile
Special user
Bluffton Indiana
597 Posts

Profile of enginemagic
I forgot to mention another source for soft coins,I repair ,and scrap out appliances sometimes theres coind trapped in the inner & outer tubs of washing machines,or they are in the pump below the moving action of the tub & impeller wears the milling off them ,I will save them next time I come across them.
Chuck
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Soft coins, anyone? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL