The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Best illusion to build for a first-timer (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
joshlondon17
View Profile
Special user
San Diego, CA
685 Posts

Profile of joshlondon17
What is the best illusion to build if you've done no illusion building before and have hardly no knowledge off illusions.

I tore a ligament in my knee and now I'm home all day every day and I'm looking for something to do. I've always wanted to add illusions to my show, but never had the time.

Thanks!
Josh London
Aaron Chee
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of Aaron Chee
Well Well, seems like we having another upcoming illusionist...

Strongly suggest, try to build something which is simple to build.

For example, Subtrunk is a very good start for illusion building.

If you think you are up to the challenge then start building Modern Art or illusion base- Box Style.

But I still strongly advise to start with Subtrunk. Although it seems easy, but there is still plenty of thinking going around.

Here is some advise from me. Draw out a plan and think of the possible way to join the joints. Type of joints. Finishes, equipment, accessories, working space, dust and many more.

And always remember that building illusion requires extensive think.

Now lets talk about space, although you do not requires a quite big space as you are not working on some grand illusion. Work on space area about 200-600 sq. ft. will do. Make sure your are able to work with dust. Sawing and cutting will creates lots of saw dust. It will be flying all about.

If you are building in a garage of yours, do remember to keep it well contain preventing dust flying around and well ventilated. Well contain --> well ventilated...Hmm...Seems tricky right !

Its strongly advise to work on a workshop or industrial area. As there will be no complains from neighbours and your family members. Remember considerate your family member... Saw dust flies and it flies far... It will stick to windows, doors even to kitchen. You will never know. So think of them and make them happy. In the end they are doing the house work.

Cheers my friend and happy building. I believe members in the Café will be willing to help you.

Regards
Aaron Chee.
Ace Illusions

Email: info@aceillusions.com
Mobile: +65 81836672, Facsimile: +65 62530656
www.AceIllusions.com
joshlondon17
View Profile
Special user
San Diego, CA
685 Posts

Profile of joshlondon17
Aaron,

Thanks for the reply. I would love to work in a workshop, but do not have access to one, so I guess I'm stuck in our garage.

I have a few Andrew Mayne books and Paul Osborne's Esy Build Illusions book. And after looking through those a bit more after I posted this my main problem I foresee is how do I paint/finish the illusion to make it look good?

I don't want the illusion to look cheesy or out-dated, but rather modern.

Thanks!
Josh London

P.S. I'm by no way an upcoming illusionist, just looking for a fun and different project to keep me busy while my knee heals.
Aaron Chee
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of Aaron Chee
Its great that you did some thinking and foresee the problem with finishing..

There are lots more problem that you can't foresee now but while working you will see them.

So whats your intention of building ...

Whats books you got from Andrew Mayne..let me know.

I am more willing to help you out !

As I can see that you are on your way to recovery, becareful, as some times you need to carry heavy stuff and move around..Especially when handling power tools, requires good support and holding. This is not a joke, take care of yourself but not getting yourself a hand chopper which only does one time.

Cheers and get well soon my friend.

Regards
Aaron Chee.
Ace Illusions

Email: info@aceillusions.com
Mobile: +65 81836672, Facsimile: +65 62530656
www.AceIllusions.com
Kyle^Ravin
View Profile
Inner circle
I slammed my head against
1070 Posts

Profile of Kyle^Ravin
Just to inform you guys, Aaron is extremely experienced in the field of illusions and is my company's official illusions builder. He does a great job and his advice is worth money. haha. keep it going bro
videokideo
View Profile
Special user
895 Posts

Profile of videokideo
My first illusions I built were subtrunk, shadowbox, mismaid girl, and even welded up a simple suspension.

The shadowbox was my favorite, and to me, the most simple to build. A base, 4 frames for sides, a top, and legs with casters. Thought went into how to make it break down easily.

Mismaid girl was most difficult as it has lots of doors that open and close which must seem up without gaps.

I also made hippity hop guitars (instead of rabbits) large stage version. Believe it or not, ended up selling it on ebay years later for over 300.00. Simple build, hard painting... ha ha!
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
I'd start even simpler than that if you have no illusion or building experience, begin with victory cartons, arabian tent, and very simple illusions like that, most can be made of cardboard (in fact victory cartons is cardboard boxes), get some experience in how illusion works. Building skills take time to develop. Cabinet making is not something you do well the first time out, you need to master use of some tools, and learn some joinery, etc. Get some woodworking books and the like and do some small practice projects til you learn the tools and some construction techniques.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Check out "Mark Wilson's Complete Course In Magic" book. He has a whole chapter devoted to stage illusions and how to make them using cardboard.

Mark.
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1911 Posts

Profile of chmara
The suggestion of Victory Carton style illusions is spot on! Then - as you get more experience use foamcore and similar products for prototypes and trials (as Harbin did) so you can "fit" the illusion to show AND assistants.

The problem with many plans (Osborne included) is they are built like many amateur magician's wives -- clunky and overweight (lol) when finished -- and are designed to be used by many various assistants who might not have a bone (or pound) of magicality in them whilst working a temporary amusement park gig.

Jarret is a good source for figuring dimensions is you want to be "magical" and not just stock looking and only time filling rather than charming.
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Before you build something because it is easy to build... you should think seriously about what the effect is that you would like to perform. Then research it, or invent it and go from there.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Irish_matt
View Profile
Loyal user
St.Louis, MO
204 Posts

Profile of Irish_matt
I agree with Pete, spend your off time researching what you would like to add to your show. Since you have always wanted to do illusions means you haven't done any... give some thought to what might fit into your show context.

Do you normally work on a stage or in a surrounded environment etc? obviously the conditions in which you normally work would help determine the effects that you can use.

Are you a solo performer? If so.. then you might want to consider something that you can perform with an audience member, otherwise you'll need to consider having to get an assistant.

Matt
mengst
View Profile
New user
Northern CA
74 Posts

Profile of mengst
If you don't already have Cardiographic in your act, making one is fun. It's on Martin Lewis's "Making Magic" DVD. Thinking about your bad knee made me think of this one. It's something you can do at your kitchen table.

I built the sub trunk from Osborne's "Easy to Build Illusions" book. Let me know if you have any questions about builing it. Have lots of C clamps and scrap wood handy for that one. I used a light colored oil stain/finish on it. I also built the sawing illusion that uses a hand-held jig saw from Jim Sommer's book. Lot's of "learning the hard way" on that one. Smile Again, let me know if you have questions on that.

Hope the knee is feeling ok.

Mike Engstrom
MCM
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
456 Posts

Profile of MCM
"I also built the sawing illusion that uses a hand-held jig saw from Jim Sommer's book. Lot's of "learning the hard way" on that one."

Does that include lessons learned by any "crash test dummy" assistants?

Mike
joshlondon17
View Profile
Special user
San Diego, CA
685 Posts

Profile of joshlondon17
Thanks for all the help guys!

I think for my first one, I want to build Andrew mayne's Spector Cabinet. But, I want to make some modifications to it and have not yet found a way to do it:

Put the whole thing on wheels or something so it's easy to move off stage.

Instead of PVC pipe use metal pipe for sturdiness.

Make it into a one-man illusion and not rely on someone to come around and pull the curtains down, make some form of electric roller shades.

I work only corporate shows, and I'm fortunate enough to have my own lighting, but I was wondering if there's a way to stay away from black art?

Thanks guys!
Josh London
mengst
View Profile
New user
Northern CA
74 Posts

Profile of mengst
How about Mayne's Infinity Cabinet? (I think that's the name of it.) It's an appearance without black art.

Mike E
joshlondon17
View Profile
Special user
San Diego, CA
685 Posts

Profile of joshlondon17
Mike,

I must have had a brain fart (or took too much Vicodin for my knee), but that is what I want to do!

From what I can tell, the assistant needs to pull the shades down and spin the cabinet.

Can I eliminate the assistant by buying electronic shades and some wheels that spin on their own? I know where to get the shades, but the wheels are a mystery to me.

Josh
mengst
View Profile
New user
Northern CA
74 Posts

Profile of mengst
That's certainly above my skill.Smile
Check in "The Workshop" threads. I'm sure the guys there will be able to give you some ideas and advice.

Mike E
Lusion
View Profile
Special user
590 Posts

Profile of Lusion
Josh,
I have been building for just about a 3 years and I had no choice but to do it right and make it look good because my show depends on the props. I started out with a sub-trunk build and now I just finished my impaled and I have about 6 illusions that I have built this year and its fun and you always learn something, now you want wheels that spin on their own, well that's a costly one it will run you in the areas of a few thousand when you can get a device that can spin the cabinet for a fraction using gears. Keep your drive going.
For Maynes illusion I would recommend using aluminum, you can since you want to change it a bit depending on you size make as a base instead of BA. You are jumping into a serious project then if you don't know much about aluminum welding go to http://www.muggyweld.com and you can search for other stuff you might want to think about your budget you have for this and other illusions. After doing this over and over at corporate evets you will need another illusion if you are going to have them high price and build them yourself you will be losing in one area or another (avaible to work as oppose to being able to build a new illusion).
Whatever you decide I wish you all the best and keep us update!
- Justin
Nyte Dragon
View Profile
New user
Tampa, Fl
66 Posts

Profile of Nyte Dragon
I suggest starting with a sub-trunk. I've seen many people suggest it, and it's a great place to start. Don't be like me. For some reason I tried to start with a zig-zag. I've got the sub trunk built...Actually I have 3...The Zig-Zag is still laying around somewhere...It seems I zagged when I should've zigged.

Next time I guess I'll get some illusion plans to follow...
joshlondon17
View Profile
Special user
San Diego, CA
685 Posts

Profile of joshlondon17
Who has the best illusion plans? Meaning, being a first timer, I'll need to follow directions, so who puts out the best plans?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Best illusion to build for a first-timer (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL