The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Next (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3245 Posts

Profile of gaddy
When, oh when is Hollywood going to stop destroying the "stories translated to film" legacy of 60's sci-fi writer Philip K. Dick. This one is (apparently) based on "The Golden Man".

Given what a moron Nicholas Cage seems to be, this makes a certain amount of sense, Bbut seriously...

Nicholas Cage really needs to just stop making movies all together....
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27150 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
He's gonna get all covered in fur?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
magicman226
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, Texas
234 Posts

Profile of magicman226
I thought he was decent in Lord of War. I personally thought it was a great movie.
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
I couldn't begin to count the number of times I've thought, 'why does that actor/actress have a career?'
There are others who can act up a storm, but, their choice of material doesn't interest me in the least.
POOF!
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11159 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2007-04-26 09:05, kregg wrote:

There are others who can act up a storm, but, their choice of material doesn't interest me in the least.



Interesting observation...

Hmmm... Imagine an entertainment industry full of entertainers who could be good, but choose to spend their time playing with crap. Hmmm...
~michael baker
The Magic Company
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3245 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2007-04-26 07:53, magicman226 wrote:
I thought he was decent in Lord of War. I personally thought it was a great movie.


OK "Lord of War" was good. But NOTHING can make up for "The Wicker Man". Not even "Kiss of the Vampire"

Mostly, though, I'm steamed that Philip K. Dick's stories consistantly get mangled when they are made into movies...
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
Quote:
Mostly, though, I'm steamed that Philip K. Dick's stories consistantly get mangled when they are made into movies...


ALL books that are made into movies get mangled by Hollywood. So what's your point?
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
Quote:
On 2007-04-27 01:06, clynim wrote:
Quote:
Mostly, though, I'm steamed that Philip K. Dick's stories consistantly get mangled when they are made into movies...


ALL books that are made into movies get mangled by Hollywood. So what's your point?

I agree in part but not in total. There has been some great movies that were originally books or short stories. Take Shawshank redemption for example. The best and worst part of this is it is aimed at the 90% of the population who either do not really like to read or can't.
Interesting story. In an class that I taught a while back I asked the question which is better the book or the movie. Every single student said the book. Then my next question was which books have you read that were also made into a movie and out of 50 people the only book was Harry Potter and very few actually read it although almost everyone had seen the movie. "The book is better than the movie" seems to be an intelectual statement more than a factual one and the point of the class was that we in general believe things that we consider to be intelectualy acceptable before we actually look at the facts. You chould not make a statement if you can not back it up with facts.
PS I am not saying anyone who has posted falls into this group of people it is purely my observation. An even bigger problem is when publishers take classic stories such as Frankenstein or Oliver Twist and turn them into easy reading for school children but in the process completely destroy the story and the plot. Then you meet adults who claim to have read the story but on discussion of things in the story you realize, and they later admit, that they only read the 50 page shortened version just for the sake of reading the "story". I guess it is better than nothing.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Thank you for that ABC. I am an avid reader. When I tell someone the book was better, I mean the book was better. I could, if I thought about it, list at least 2 dozen stories I have both read and seen.

The obvious problem (use the Davinci code for an example) is you don't have time to tell a 200 page story in a 2 hour movie. I read the book first, and saw the movie hoping to be entertained. IF I had not read the book, the movie would have made no sense. In fact to my wife who did not read the book, it didn't. I called that poor editing, but the fact remains.

What might be nice is if "hollywood" made a pact, that no book shall be made into a film with added scenes. That is they can cut scenes if they need to (they will for time) but they can not add. That way they would all be true to the book.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
drhackenbush
View Profile
Special user
689 Posts

Profile of drhackenbush
If they were smart, they'd make a true-to-the-book Ubik (John Lennon wanted to option that or at least thought it'd be a good movie). Remember "The Truman Show"? Almost scene for scene it was "Time Out Of Joint", even down to the "One Happy World" button and the testing the reaction of the people in the grocery store.

Actually, a really good one, complete with talking tea kettles (the Rushmore Effect) and bathroom mirrors, is "The Game Players Of Titan" - now THAT would make an excellent movie.

But no-one wants to follow the books and put the philosophical/religious stuff that Dick imbued his work with in the movies... But that's half the story in many cases.
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
I guess we tend to miss the point for the sake of entertainment if we are hollywood and that I have to agree with.
I am currently reading Black Beauty - again. What a great story. I am also reading online that PETA has some problem with some football player. whatever. Make a movie.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17198 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
When is hollywood going to come up with a new story, period? The recent onslaught of old TV shows redone as 3rd rate movies, the 5th remake of an old 30's or 40's classic, done 5 times worse. I think one of the upcomming block busters expected out later this summer is a live action adventure version of Underdog! Hollywood used to be creative, somebody done snatched their brains and turned them all into Mortimer Snerd (who probably could have done a better job). Either that or they all finally fried all their brain cells.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2007-04-27 13:56, photius wrote:
When is hollywood going to come up with a new story, period? The recent onslaught of old TV shows redone as 3rd rate movies, the 5th remake of an old 30's or 40's classic, done 5 times worse. I think one of the upcomming block busters expected out later this summer is a live action adventure version of Underdog! Hollywood used to be creative, somebody done snatched their brains and turned them all into Mortimer Snerd (who probably could have done a better job). Either that or they all finally fried all their brain cells.



Hollywood used to come up with new movies, perhaps, but from Day One, they weren't coming up with too many new stories. Story-telling has been around way too long for that. The only question, really, is how well you contextualize it, tell it, or act it. But there just ain't all that many stories, and most of them had been told thousands of times over long before motion picture technology was developed.

Having said all that, I thought "Memento" was fairly original (and good).
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
acmp
View Profile
Elite user
Nottinghamshire
466 Posts

Profile of acmp
Eragon was slaughtered.

So much removed from the story. The only way I know who was who (yes even the names were missed out, maybe the director needed that extra 0.25 of a second for some more unnecessary and newly invented CGI sequence that was not in the book anyway) was because my wife, who actually reads stuff, kept me informed.

She pointed out the missing bits and the added bits (even if I didn't ask)

I know there are no new plot's (apparently there are only a few plot types, 8 sounds familiar). But we can still have new stories. But first we need to have films that are true to the books. They don't need to be carbon copies, but simply follow the story accurately.

Maybe if 'they' realised that the book was so popular because of the story and not simply the premise then the film would be made to follow the book. After all it's the telling of the story that is entertaining not simply the premise.

Magic seems to understand this much more. A simple effect can be dull, but give it a good presentation and it can rock.
acmp<><

"Well if I had one wish in this god forsaken world, kids
It'd be that your mistakes would be your own"
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
Quote:
They don't need to be carbon copies, but simply follow the story accurately.


What the....??? Ok, now I'm officially confused.

As for the book vs. movie argument, I have rarely, if ever, seen a movie that even came close to being as good as the book that inspired it. Great examples are Fantastic Voyage, Logan's Run, Frankenstein, and..yes.. Harry Potter. So much is changed or stripped in order to create the movie that the original concept is totally lost. Just for the record, I have read all of the books mentioned above and seen their Hollywood counterparts.
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1077 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
What people don't seem to realize is you just cannot make a book directly into a movie. It just doesn't work. I seem to be one of the few who realize this.

Have you read the books in question Gaddy? Cause from

"When, oh WHEN is hollywood going to stop destroying the "stories translated to film" legacy of 60's sci-fi writer Philip K. Dick. This one is (apparently) based on "The Golden Man". "

Doesn't sound like you have.

And if you watch a movie after reading whatever book it was made from, your opinion automatically becomes bias, to what degree depends on you.
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
I went through my old books in storage this weekend, and pulled out my volumes of "The Collected Short Stories of Philip K. Dick". I reread "The Golden Man".

I haven't seen the movie. From the trailer clips on tv, it is obvious that they changed a lot. Did they actually keep ANYTHING from the original story except the fact that the guy can see a few moments into the future?

FWIW, I don't believe that "The Golden Man" was all that strong a story. Except for the idea of seeing ahead a few minutes, there isn't much in the story that hasn't been done before. The idea of hunting mutants has obviously appeared in the X-Men series of movies. If NEXT had gone that route, it would have been seen as an X-Men rip off.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2007-04-28 22:14, clynim wrote:
Quote:
They don't need to be carbon copies, but simply follow the story accurately.


What the....??? Ok, now I'm officially confused.

As for the book vs. movie argument, I have rarely, if ever, seen a movie that even came close to being as good as the book that inspired it. Great examples are Fantastic Voyage <snip>


You make a good point, but "Fantastic Voyage" was a movie <first!> Asimov was hired to do the novelization of the script and decided that there were just too many dumb moments that had to be fixed. The ending specifically, he insisted that they not change when the published the book.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
I watched this movie on an airplane, while flying from Montreal to Calgary the other day.

I must say, I rather enjoyed it. Of course it wasn't the same story as Philip Dick's, but some of the basic underlying ideas were the same. And I felt there was at least one scene that might have been intended as an homage to Dick's story.

Anyway, it was much better than I had anticipated.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20566 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Falls into the "How does Kevin Kostner keep getting work?" catagory for me.

The Postman, Waterworld? Oh lord. I know he has made some good ones but wow when he misses he misses big.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Next (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL