The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Impromptu Out Of This World (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
montemagic
View Profile
Elite user
San Diego, CA
471 Posts

Profile of montemagic
Here is a clip of my Impromptu Out of this World. It will be available as an instant download from the Merchant of Magic in the U.K. in the next week or so. This effect can be done with a borrowed deck of cards, that the spectators shuffle themselves. This is my FAVORITE effect to perform, and it absolutely baffles people. This was filmed on location at the Cinema Under the Stars in San Diego, CA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku0o_g2VQ9U

Enjoy,
Matt
Aim To Amaze
ted french
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus Ohio
1917 Posts

Profile of ted french
Very good
P3
practice practice perform.
Andrew Loh
View Profile
Inner circle
Malaysia
1455 Posts

Profile of Andrew Loh
Marvellous!!!

Check out my new card magic eBooks "The Magnificent Queens" & "Triple Charms" at:
www.cardicianden.com

My Cardician Den Blog:
http://pasteboards.blogspot.com/
dduane
View Profile
Special user
Bridgewater, MA
727 Posts

Profile of dduane
Impromptu, eh?..... AWSOME!
What will it cost?
montemagic
View Profile
Elite user
San Diego, CA
471 Posts

Profile of montemagic
I don't have a cost yet, and I am not exactly sure how many effects are going to be sold, or if they will be sold separately. I will post it all when it is finalized.
Aim To Amaze
Jagy
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of Jagy
Well - doesn't it look like just the normal out of this world?
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Look maybe, but borrowed, shuffled deck intrigues me.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
196 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Thanks Montemagic - I liked it.

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
2240 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Borrowed and shuffled deck... shuffled right before the edited-out cull, that is.

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
montemagic
View Profile
Elite user
San Diego, CA
471 Posts

Profile of montemagic
Quote:
On 2007-04-27 19:54, Thomas Wayne wrote:
Borrowed and shuffled deck... shuffled right before the edited-out cull, that is.

TW

An interesting and completely inaccurate assumption. I assure you that you see exactly what the spectators see. It's something Eugene Burger taught me.
Aim To Amaze
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
2240 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
The deck is clearly prearranged in some fashion at some point in the trick, and that process is obviously not being shown during the performance video. If you really want to impress knowledgeable magicians, show a performance from immediately prior to borrowing the deck, through the final reveal - without edit.

If the viewers are unable to discern the false shuffle you employ, OR if there is no false shuffle, but your culling process is invisible, then you may have something here. However, those are a couple of pretty big "ifs"...

Short of that it appears to be "same old same old".

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
montemagic
View Profile
Elite user
San Diego, CA
471 Posts

Profile of montemagic
I can assure you and your scholarly friends the entire evening's performance will be available to you as a preview of purchase. Remember that many people have never seen this effect performed before.
Aim To Amaze
Dan McLean
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you
1255 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean
Hmmm. I don't undertand the controversy.
I have no idea how montemagic is accomplishing his effect but the conditions he describes are hardly impossible.
There have been other FASDIU Out of This World methods that involved no false shuffling, culling or prearrangement. He might well have come up with another one.
So what's the problem?
Dan McLean
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you
1255 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean
I just made use of the search engine here to look up Impromptu Out Of This World. Appears I was right. There are quite a few out there. The one I remember is Harry Lorayne's from My Favorite Card Trick. I seem to remember Doug Henning performing a version in one of his TV specials. May have been Harry's.
Glad this topic came up. I'll have to start doing it again.
And montemagic, since you come from my old stomping grounds of San Diego, I'm even more interested since all things from San Diego are good. Keep me posted on when it's available. I want it.
P.S. In one of the posts from 2003 I found someone remarking that he was blown away by a magician he saw in San Diego performing this effect.
Could that be you?
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
2240 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Dan,

Yes there are many "impromptu" OOTW versions out there. A typical hallmark of them is that the performer does a good deal (usually up to half the deck) of selecting the individual cards, whereupon the spectator determines which pile each card goes onto. These versions can be done using a borrowed, shuffled deck...without prior set up.

That, however, does not appear to be what going on here – and if it is, they’re selling something they probably have no legitimate claim to. Anytime the cards are handed to the spectator to freely choose which card goes on which pile, you can be absolutely sure of what the actual conditions are. And to get to those conditions, other handling - such as is not shown on the linked video - must be employed.

The statement: "This effect can be done with a borrowed deck of cards, that the spectators shuffle themselves" strongly implies that the performer borrows a deck, the spectators shuffle, and then the performer immediately proceeds... using that deck, without any further manipulation on the performer's part. I would LOVE to see such a handling - and would be their first customer for sure - but that's not what we're seeing here.

TW
montemagic
View Profile
Elite user
San Diego, CA
471 Posts

Profile of montemagic
I implore anyone considering purchasing this effect to watch the preview they get, as I imagine you all will, on the site selling the effect. That preview will contain the entire evening’s performance.

IN THE MEAN TIME, please enjoy my performance of Out Of This World.

I encourage discussion at time of release in the appropriate Review sections of the Café, and more importantly look forward to discussing it with you all.

IN THE MEAN TIME, please enjoy my performance of Out Of This World.
Aim To Amaze
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1970 Posts

Profile of Rennie
The same as Lorayne's Impromptu Out of This World, only diffrence I saw was spectator pointing to card he did not feel right about which was in the "red" supoosedly black pile..Seems easy enough..
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
RickVancouver
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
689 Posts

Profile of RickVancouver
I agree with Thomas & Rennie here. Nothing new here.

Rick
www.vancouvermagic.com
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.
montemagic
View Profile
Elite user
San Diego, CA
471 Posts

Profile of montemagic
Lorayne only uses a portion of the deck, only about 20 cards.
Aim To Amaze
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
2240 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2007-04-28 19:36, montemagic wrote:
Lorayne only uses a portion of the deck, only about 20 cards.

AND Harry favored the use of blue-backed bicycles, whereas this version takes the revolutionary step of using red-backs. Pretty earthshaking; buy the instant download NOW, before they run out - lol

TW
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Impromptu Out Of This World (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL