The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Dove Staying Put (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
I watched this video and noticed his doves never fly away:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-llB-9epD-M

Is it the natural inclination of doves to stay on the hand after production?

Or does one need to hold them close via an invisible harness?
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
You should never hold onto your doves by the Invisible harness. Keeping them perched on the hand is just a result of training and confidence. If the doves feel comfortable, and they should if you've worked with them enough, then they'll stay on your hand. Of course, we've all had the experience where one flies off but that isn't a regular occurance. The click you posted was just one performance of Joseph Garbriel. I'm sure he's had a bird or two fly off at some point in time.
Where the magic begins
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
Practice, The comfort of the dove with you, practice, the comfort of the dove with you, and Practice some more.

Yes, its a natural inclination of the the dove perch, but wether or not you are the "safety zone" is another story. Birds are going to fly, that is why they are called birds, and we all can't be 100% percent sure they aren't going to take off during a show. They will sometimes. The best of the best have had one "get away from them" at one point in time. You just have to keep at it. While IDH are good, Dave is right in saying that you shouldn't use it to restrict the dove from flying. If the dove is going to fly, let it fly. You would rather it fly than to trap it with the harness which could seriously injure the dove.

Some of what you see Karol Kool is YEARS of practice. Sooner or later after using many different doves, you will realize which doves work best, and which don't. Some doves will not cooperate no matter what you do, and no matter how much time you spend with them. These are your "stay at home pets". Some will catch on easily, and those are your "come fly with me" pets. Some people look at videos and go - "WOW, why don't mine do that?" but you have to realize that these professionals have been doing this a long time, and they have the "right" doves for the job. Like Dave, they probably have or have had 20 - 30 or even 40 - 50 doves at one time. They have the selection of their show doves to choose from the "stay at home" doves.

My doves have a specific job. I don't mix and match "steals". each dove has been worked in his area, so he knows his job, and over time, you will find the same thing. Training, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, and then PRACTICE some more. Always remember to treat the dove with respect, and it will do the same for you.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Absolutely. I have one main bird for each effect and two backs up for each. They only work one effect and they know exactly what to do. Even though they know the routine, I practice with them everyday. Practice, practice, practice is the key.
Where the magic begins
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
One word sums it up - YES! *smile*
Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
What percentage of doves, than, would you say are ideally show workable? Versus those that are stay at homes.
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
I don't think that is a number that anyone can give you. You'd have to know how many doves are actually being cared for by magicians. Also, just because a dove doesn't perch without flying off, doesn't mean they can't be used in other effects.

For instance, I have several birds that just will not stay on my finger when they're produced but I use them in my dove pagoda production. The pagoda has 4 plexiglass sides, a top and a bottom. The doves can't fly away but they are show workable.
Where the magic begins
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Dove Staying Put (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL