The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » 'Cut' by Daniel Madison (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Y2John
View Profile
Inner circle
1498 Posts

Profile of Y2John
Not exactly, it's hard to really say without exposing but you could quite easily do something with the cards and it'd be easy enough to switch out CUT.
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
It is also easy to change your force card, if that is of interest to you.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
tuffnavyrn
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1239 Posts

Profile of tuffnavyrn
Thanks for the thorough review Y2John.
Brian-
"That smart thing that somebody else said".
ritty360
View Profile
Veteran user
McKinney, Texas
392 Posts

Profile of ritty360
Anyone have some of his other stuff
MarvinSanRemo
View Profile
Loyal user
Santa Barbara, CA
280 Posts

Profile of MarvinSanRemo
Yes, I just purchased Outlaw as well. I really, really like that effect.
Raymond Singson
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of Raymond Singson
CUT: DANIEL MADISON
In effect, the performer takes a freely shuffled deck of cards and gives them to the spectator. She simply cuts the deck and thinks of the card she cuts to. Despite being blindfolded and turned the other way, the performer immediately knows the card in the spectator's mind.

INITIAL OPINION
This is essentially a really unorthodox forcing deck. The cards can be shown to be completely normal through a variety of spreads, cuts, shuffles, flourishes, etc. While most people believe the gimmicked deck can really only be used for this one particular effect, Madison does thoroughly cover a few alternatives handlings. In my opinion, this is a pretty decent utility item, and it is as practical as any other forcing deck currently on the market in terms of examination.

PRODUCTION QUALITY
The production quality of CUT is absolutely gorgeous. The PDF file is nicely designed and easy to read. There are the occasional spelling errors, but they do not detract from the learning process at all. I have always been a fan of Madison's work in this regard, and CUT is just has aesthetically pleasing as any of his other online productions.

DIFFICULTY
The effect of CUT is extremely simple to execute. It's essentially a self-working effect, because the deck is out of the performer's hands during the key moment of performance. The most difficult aspect of CUT is its construction. It's not hard to make up by any means, but it can be time consuming. It took me about twenty minutes to make up the gaff as perfectly as I wanted. The gaff's construction does not require any obscure items; you can easily find everything you need at your local convenience or office supply store.

RELIABILITY
This is one of the few gripes I have with the effect. I performed it for ten people so far, and I have yet to miss. I do see it as a possibility though. This is not a sure-fire forcing deck by any means. I feel that it is comparable to a breather crimp force, but much more reliable. I'm sure there will be times it will occasionally fail for the inexperienced performer. It is, however, a convincing utility item and it will leave its impact on laymen and magicians alike.

With that said, I feel like a normal one-way forcing deck would do exactly the same thing CUT does. The only thing that can't be done with a one-way deck is show it to be a normal deck of 52 playing cards. Most traditionalists will agree there should be no need to run if you're not being chased. CUT is a very clever gaff and shows Madison's creativity very well, but I think other forcing decks will suit other magicians more securely.

VERSATILITY
With careful planning and routining, other effects can be performed with the deck. It doesn't necessarily have to be a "one trick pony" as others have suggested. In fact, of the ten times I performed the effect, I preceded CUT with an Ambitious Card. The notes also cover a convincing deck switch, so the gaff can be introduced and stolen whenever one desires. it's not necessary, but Madison really does cover all bases.

COST EFFICIENCY
In my opinion, the price is just right for this set of notes. At $12.00, you get a lot more than just one effect. You also learn a nice deck switch, a few psychological forces, as well as a few great bonus effects in FINE SCRIPTURE. I actually combined CUT with FINE SCRIPTURE, and the response is killer. I've used a similar effect in the past using a pack of Tic-Tacs, but Madison's effect is much more casual and logical in comparison. He essentially took Derren Brown's "Smoke," and eliminated the use of cigarettes. He also put his own personal flare on the effect and made it something new. Some may find FINE SCRIPTURE to be more valuble than the main effect, itself. It's a great revelation that I plan to use from now on.

OVERALL IMPRESSION
For me, the highlights of the notes were the psychological forces involved. I like CUT, and I'll probably use it on occasion, but the same thing can be accomplished with more accurate, commercially-produced forcing decks on the market. I am also very fond of FINE SCRIPTURE, and it will stay in my repertoire for a long time. This is a quality purchase that will satisfy anyone serious in card magic and direct mentalism.

8.5/10

If you have any questions or comments, feel free to get in touch.

Ray.
“The purpose of art is to lay bare the questions which have been hidden by the answers.” -- James Arthur Baldwin

raymond.singson@gmail.com
Y2John
View Profile
Inner circle
1498 Posts

Profile of Y2John
Nice review, I don't know why I didn't mention the psychological forces as they are very good.
Irishghost
View Profile
Inner circle
www.gaffguy.com
1228 Posts

Profile of Irishghost
RT Showman hit the nail on the head. I have tried cut 15 times on different prople and it hit every time. I have not looked at FINE SCRIPTURE but I will this week-end.

Jeremy Hanrahan.
I get to gaff some cool stuff for some cool people
Y2John
View Profile
Inner circle
1498 Posts

Profile of Y2John
Fine Scripture is, for me, a fantastic little effect.
Docc Spurlock
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago & Arizona
174 Posts

Profile of Docc Spurlock
Tian_ci.....Buy the deck and stop trying to get all the info for-nothing.
"CREATOR OF THE FLOATING FLAME TO DOVE"

If you are always looking back you can't see what's in front of you so when you bump your head again you have no one to blame but yourself!
pablovaldes
View Profile
Loyal user
Mexico
206 Posts

Profile of pablovaldes
Hi, if anyone that owns The Richard Sanders Show, and also owns cut, can tell me if this can be used in GONE? Thank you very much!!!

Best,
Pablo
Wonderful things do happen
Magic is so relative, that we all think we know what it is
@pablovaldes
discjockey
View Profile
Elite user
451 Posts

Profile of discjockey
What is Fine Scripture?

Can someone describe the effect?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » 'Cut' by Daniel Madison (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL