The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Lights...camera...action! » » Radio?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tenn_ray
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of tenn_ray
Hi ya'll, I'm wondering, how did magic play on the radio during the "golden age" and would it work today? The local radio station has a monthly show, based on the Grand Old Opry and I was wondering if it would be worth a shot. Thanks, Ray.
TV Magic Pal
View Profile
New user
Dogtown up in the 'Lou
62 Posts

Profile of TV Magic Pal
There was the Dunninger show and I believe a Blackstone detective show for a while...

I believe that Anneman specifically addresses a few mental effects for radio in one one his books... Practical Mental Magic perhaps.
Michael L.

Magic is a lie. It is our job to convince the audience to overlook the lie and our goal to make them embrace it.
Oge
View Profile
Regular user
154 Posts

Profile of Oge
Agree with that you can using a lot of mental stuff on the show.....like card..you can use trilogy, any caut at any number to the caller and the host os the witness on the studio..
ScottRSullivan
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Profile of ScottRSullivan
I think one of the things that made those shows work was that Dunninger played to the studio audience. I am often transfixed by shows (even modern radio shows) even though I cannot see what is being done.

Even though my main business is in video productions, I think there are no special effects that can create a picture more vivid, mor memorable, than our own mind.

If you stimulate the mind, you will have the most successful show on radio, regardless of the year.

Scott
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Back in the "golden age" of radio, shows that contained drama and mystery were HUGE!!! People would gather around at night and tune it to the next episode and be taken to another place in seconds.

Lot's of magic has been done over the years on radio and it still works today. Mostly mentalism stuff where the magician interacts with the host and the listeners follow along.

Some of this is even done on television. David Copperfield does this during his TV shows where he has people at home select something on the screen and then reveals it "over the air." Just another variation of the same concept.

Check out "Magic Broadcast, Radio For Magicians!" You can find lots of examples of this today and have fun in the process.

http://www.magicbroadcast.com/

Mark.
CAROLINI
View Profile
Special user
607 Posts

Profile of CAROLINI
I lived thru the Golden Age of Radio. It was wonderful for many reasons, chiefly
because that's all that was available. You could listen to the news on the radio but only "see" the news by going to a theater and between movies we could see Pathe News along with other news reels. As fond as I am of "talk" radio, those good old days have been replaced by TV. Monday thru Friday we have a radio station that broadcasts old time radio programs from 12 to 1 a.m.. How many people do you think are listening? I have a few hundred radio programs on cassette
including Dunninger and Blackstone. Sorry to say we cannot go back to those days.
ScottRSullivan
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Profile of ScottRSullivan
We actually have started to a small trend back toward that with podcasts. For the past several months I have been producing a magic history podcast (called The Magic Lantern). It is audio only and has been growing incredibly. Not to mention other great podcasts (Go Magic Go, for example).

It is nothing like in the old days, but there is a small revival.

Scott
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17484 Posts

Profile of Slim King
It's a great thing to perform Magic on the Radio. it is even more amazing when you call in and do magical effects. Smile
I'm listening to one of Scott's podcasts right now!
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
TV Magic Pal
View Profile
New user
Dogtown up in the 'Lou
62 Posts

Profile of TV Magic Pal
Carolini,

I missed the Golden Age of Radio but I have a few thousand radio shows! I'm a big fan. I believe both satellite radio services (XM and Sirius) have old time radio channels. You can find a great deal of old time radio in the audio files of Archive.org and it is all free and legal for the downloading.

Michael
Michael L.

Magic is a lie. It is our job to convince the audience to overlook the lie and our goal to make them embrace it.
magicalwishes
View Profile
Regular user
Hickory, NC
143 Posts

Profile of magicalwishes
Join Tri C's at http://www.magicbroadcast.com this Thursday at 10:30pm EST or 7:30 PST where you will hear talk about anything magic. There will also be a 30 minute call in session where you can ask questions and get answers.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Lights...camera...action! » » Radio?? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL