The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Every Magician Needs to Read This (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Cory Landels
View Profile
Special user
683 Posts

Profile of Cory Landels
When ideas become to complicated, and the pursuit of perfection is misconstructed as a need for excess. When there is so much involved that individual compnents cannot be discerned. When it is hard to break the rules of excess, then new rules need to be established. It descends back to the beginning where the construction of things visual or aura are to uncomplicated to not be beautiful.
But this is done in the knowledge that we can only become simple to a point and then there is nowhere else to go. There are definite natural things which cannot be broken down into lesser components. Even if the goal of acheiving beauty from simplicity is aesthetically less exciting it may force the mind to acknowledge the simple components that make the complicated beautiful.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Say What??

Jim
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
Quote:
On 2007-04-29 18:46, jimhlou wrote:
Say What??

Jim

Precisely what I was thinking. But it could just be because my brain is friend already from this weekend.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
So you can quote the liner notes to The White Stripes’ De Stijl , give or take a few spelling errors. Essentially saying that true beauty is the result of its simple components, albeit in a rather wordy and elaborate way. Yes there is beauty in simplicity, and in magic "keep it simple stupid" has long been respected. What ever inspires you, go for it.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Cory Landels
View Profile
Special user
683 Posts

Profile of Cory Landels
Quote:
On 2007-04-29 18:55, photius wrote:
So you can quote the liner notes to The White Stripes’ De Stijl , give or take a few spelling errors. Essentially saying that true beauty is the result of its simple components, albeit in a rather wordy and elaborate way. Yes there is beauty in simplicity, and in magic "keep it simple stupid" has long been respected. What ever inspires you, go for it.

Heck Yeah... White Stripes are awesome.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
I knew what he was talking about when I was Hi.......
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Oh, "keep it simple, stupid". How ironic.

Jim
ToasterofDoom
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of ToasterofDoom
Loki (I'm assuming it's you from MagicHat), "Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice."
WhiteAngel
View Profile
Loyal user
West Virginia, USA
269 Posts

Profile of WhiteAngel
Toaster of doom is refering to a claptrap. And I find it ironc that the message contradicts itself, lol.
True illusionists strive to decieve the eye AND the mind.....
Cory Landels
View Profile
Special user
683 Posts

Profile of Cory Landels
Quote:
On 2007-04-30 20:09, WhiteAngel wrote:
Toaster of doom is refering to a claptrap. And I find it ironc that the message contradicts itself, lol.

That's a good point. But it's provacative, it causes you to think more than just "keep it simple"

ToD, yeah, it's me.
Borack
View Profile
Regular user
Tampa Bay
109 Posts

Profile of Borack
De Stijl
When ideas become too complicated, and the pursuit of perfection is misconstructed as a need for excess. When there is so much involved that individual components cannot be discerned. When it is hard to break the rules of excess, then new rules need to be established. It descends back to the beginning where the construciton of things viusal or aural is too uncomplicated to not be beautiful. But this is done in the knowledge that we can only become simple to a point and then there is nowhere else to go. There are definite natural things which cannot be broken down into lesser components. Even if the goal of achieving beauty from simplicity is aesthetically less exciting it may force the mind to acknowledge teh simple components that make the complicated beautiful.

-Jack White

So you can copy and paste...Wassup with dat..????????????
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
I know a poem about a curious monkey I can add to this discussion. It is quite relevant as I didn't really care after reading the third word of the first post.

However that monkey was quite curious.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Transylvania
1367 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
LOL Josh! bring on the monkey!!!

-Matt
The masters make the rules, for the wise men and the fools
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Be aware you're not allowed to spank the monkey on this website.

Jim
ChristopherM
View Profile
Special user
UK
844 Posts

Profile of ChristopherM
LOL Jim!
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
I'm still trying to figure out what this is about!

Mark.
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
It's about six lines, Mark. Or approximately 141 words.

Glad to be of assistance.
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Thanks Airship! I was confused.

Mark.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
I counted 130 words (Still less tedious than reading them, no offense to the guy who posted them, well maybe just a little)
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Cory Landels
View Profile
Special user
683 Posts

Profile of Cory Landels
I'm just trying to share something with you that I feel could make you think about your magic. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Every Magician Needs to Read This (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL