The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Best Suggesions for Restaurant magic. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

pkmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Paul knight
140 Posts

Profile of pkmagic
Hi all.

I shall be performing my first table hopping in a restaurant soon. Hopefully i will make a big impact.
Besides that, I have a budget of 250 quid.

What are your suggestions as great close up effects that i could incorporate into my act.
I mainly use cards at the moment.

Many thanks

Paul Knight Smile
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2971 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Paul,
Congratulations on your first gig. I hope you will make a big impact too. Just a question, but isn't it a little late to be asking what effects to use so close to your opening??

I mean no disrespect by any means, but generally the restaurant pros will tell you that your effects should be chosen, rehearsed, and polished well in advance of pursuing work. Forgive me if I have misunderstood your post....

Anyway a good sponge ball/ sponge rabbit routine IMHO is a necessity. Ring and string routine, CMH and some rope routines.
You said you do mostly cards, just make sure you personalize them with signatures and make the magic happen IN THEIR HANDS!!
Always leave them with something to remember their experience with you and the restaurant.
David Paul
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
CMH
C/S/B
TIHOP
C&R rope
Hopping halves
Linking pins
1-5 billswitch
Kollosal Killer

Get some hopping books and vids quick!

And Ammar's advice to treat every spectator as you would your own mother, or other loved ones.

That sounds like it will kill 250 quid.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
edhead
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of edhead
Why do we continue to help people like this who don't help themselves?

There are far too many bad magicians in the world already.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Paul,
Haven't you got this backwards?
Shouldn't you already HAVE an act before you get a job?
(It's a bit like getting a bunch of patients and only THEN studying to be a surgeon.)
pkmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Paul knight
140 Posts

Profile of pkmagic
Thanks for your help guys.

Maybye I didn't explain myself well enough.
I have been studying and performing magic for about 12 years now - since I was a kid.

It is only recently that I have considered performing in public places - and we all have to start somewhere.

Just some helpfull advice from those with some experience was all I asked for.

Ed head - do not just asume somebody is bad at what they do through lack of knowledge. That being your knowledge of me. If you have any criticism how about something positive?

Yes , agreed the world is full of bad magicians, but it is also full of arrogant ones.

Again, thanks to those of you who suggested some ideas.

And yes, of course I have routines already!!

How stupid do you think I am?

Paul Knight.

Thanks David Paul for your reply.

Note to Ed Wood :- Take a leaf out of Davids book - there is no point insulting complete strangers.

Again, thanks david.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Paul Knight writes: "And yes, of course i have routines already!!"

Having routines is far cry from having an act!

And that's what your going to need if you are planning to table-hop.

I've done it for more than 10 years and, briefly, you'll need, on average, three tricks per table and three sets of three different tricks for a total of nine.

The set for each table has got to have an opener and a clearly defined closer; otherwise it's just a jumble of tricks.

Yes, we all have to start somewhere; but there's no point in starting at that "somewhere" unequipped or ill-equipped.

If you're going to climb a mountain, it's wise to listen to the guys who have climbed it before!
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
I should have said that I don't do any table magic at present, and I was merely suggesting some high impact effects to mix in, since you said you are mainly working cards right now.

Not being much of a cardworker myself, I assume this means you would have the basics.

Ambitous card (any)
card on ceiling (any)
card to wallet (any)
4 ace assembly (any)
DL
DD
several trick decks
a few packets
and a couple flourishes

Just an assumption as I don't realy work with cards that much.

My list was kind of guessing since I don't know the conversion rate.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
WilliamWHolcomb
View Profile
Special user
Twinsburg, Ohio
533 Posts

Profile of WilliamWHolcomb
Quote:
On 2003-01-24 02:06, edhead wrote:
Why do we continue to help people like this who don't help themselves?

There are far too many bad magicians in the world already.

Yes, and the count just went up by one! With four posts under your belt, I doubt you can be serious about "continuing to help others." Out of four posts, two of your's are questions, and the other two are snide remarks!

Be nice and play well with others!
William Holcomb
TroyRoark
View Profile
Loyal user
Springfield IL
282 Posts

Profile of TroyRoark
I think the question would be better answered if we could have some more information: First, what is the clientelle of the restaraunt. Is it mostly adults, like a steak house. Or, is it frequented by families with young children. Secondly, how long will you have with each table? And lastly, are you the first magician they've had? If not, find out why the last magician isn't there anymore. It might be because he did too many card tricks.

I might suggest a book called The Magic Menu. It's acually a five year compilation of newsletters called The Magic Menu. I can't remember the author right now, but it's a wealth of information.

Just some things to think about. Good luck, table hopping can be great. You'll have good and bad nights. Just remember who's signing your checks.

Troy Roark
Isramagia
View Profile
Regular user
Bayamon, Puerto Rico
114 Posts

Profile of Isramagia
Well said William.
I don't think we can assume that pkmagic does not have an act or is a "bad magician". He did clarify his question. As I understood it he was asking for feedback on what others were doing or what works well. Even so, play well with others is always good advice. Congrats on your first restaurant gig pkmagic. Smile
Izzy
shobley
View Profile
New user
Indianapolis
81 Posts

Profile of shobley
I would concentrate on polishing your approach, and your routining rather than learn another set of effects.

Eugene Burger said something along the lines of "magicians know enough *tricks* already".

Seriously, your approach to a table can make or break your set in the minds of spectators.

-------

I will give you one effect right now that is worth the price of this post alone:

Creating a warm fuzzy glow in the restaurant manager.

By Stephen Hobley

At the end of your set say this:

"There is one small favour you can do for me. This is something new for the <restuarant_name> and they haven't been doing it for long. If you liked it, and you think that they should do it more often, then just mention that to the host as you leave. They love to hear that stuff, and <look sincere and genuine> it would help me out a great deal.

Have a great night and we'll see you again soon."

Steve
Cabrera
View Profile
Special user
Seattle
513 Posts

Profile of Cabrera
If you perform all card tricks, and you are really entertaining with personality plus, you can get by. However if you add a variety to your act like, rubberbands, coins, sponge balls, color changing knives etc. Your act will be more interesting and a ppealing. THink of it along the lines of going to a buffet dinner and all they have is ground beef.
You'd get tired of it real fast. Smile
"The quilt of life is woven with many different threads"
pkmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Paul knight
140 Posts

Profile of pkmagic
Thanks guys for all your help.

Here is acouple more questions. Have any of you performed at a chinease restaurant, where, say for example, there are approximately eleven courses? When do you know the righht time to start hopping?!!?

Paul Knight Smile
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2971 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Hello Paul,
I'm asssuming this type of restaurant is where you will be performing. Is this a buffet style, where you get up to get your food?

It's very hard to compete with food since "The Food" is the main focus and purpose for the patrons being there. In my experience, and with the advice from others here like Peter Marucci, Scott Guinn and the rest of the pros is to approach the table after the people have ordered and received their beverages. I never perform while people are eating.

Some will say a good time to perform is just before desert or after, and never when the check is on the table. You then run into the
problem of holding up a table when the management wants to get new faces in the seats. Eleven courses sounds like too much competiton. Anyway I guess the best thing to do, if this is in fact your situation, is to just go for it!

Be observant and look for opportunities, like lulls in conversation, or between courses. Only experience in this situation will tell you the best time to do your magic. I'm sure others will have more advice for you.
Hope this helps.
David Paul Smile
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Best Suggesions for Restaurant magic. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL