The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » The end of the Golden Age of cups? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13384 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Goes to show you that good a ole banjo tune is better than that dreadful rap music any day Smile
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24249 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Just think what a baseball cap that has been worn backwards or sideways will be worth 40 years from now.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2134 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Oh no, can't agree Bill. Sherwood silvers and golds are definately an investment and destined to be passed on from one generation to the next. Ok, maybe our stuff isn't an investment. But they do look nice on the shelves Smile
For quality Paul Fox Cups spun on Danny Dew's Paul Fox tooling visit us at www.airshipmagic.com
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1377 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
No more Riser Traditional Cups
No more Ramsay Style Cups
No more Riser Tall Ultimate Chop Cups
No more Riser Mini-Cups
etc.

- but Jim's website suggests that he has a new line of cups in the works.
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24249 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
If you purchase your cups to use and enjoy, then any increase they might have will be a bonus in the future. Pity the poor man who invests in Uday cups!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Here's the latest clip from Riser's site....

<I will be basing my client list on factors that might surprise many so called magicians. Since I am the designer/maker, I feel free to let my creations out to whomever I select. If this is unacceptable to you, you most likely are not on my client list as a result of being eliminated due to one or more selection considerations. Such is life...>

How pompous, you really have to have an ego the size of globe to put this kind of remark up. And who made him the Shell Answer Man on who and who isn't a magician. Pfft.
For quality Paul Fox Cups spun on Danny Dew's Paul Fox tooling visit us at www.airshipmagic.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24249 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Well, sooner or later, everything shows up on eBay.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Quote:
On 2007-05-01 22:41, Bill Palmer wrote:
Well, sooner or later, everything shows up on eBay.

Yep Yep
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3987 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
How pompous, you really have to have an ego the size of globe to put this kind of remark up. And who made him the Shell Answer Man on who and who isn't a magician?

He did, of course.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24249 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
A lot of craftsmen are very selective about who receives their material. Bill Guisas (sp?) hates to make contact with anyone he doesn't know.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Quote:
On 2007-05-02 01:11, Bill Palmer wrote:
A lot of craftsmen are very selective about who receives their material. Bill Guisas (sp?) hates to make contact with anyone he doesn't know.

That is very understandable, but their is a point when one becomes arrogant and anal retentive about it.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3987 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On 2007-05-02 01:11, Bill Palmer wrote:

Quote:
That is very understandable, but their is a point when one becomes arrogant and anal retentive about it.

B-I-N-G-O!
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Shufton
View Profile
Veteran user
California
303 Posts

Profile of Shufton
I don't think it matters much - it isn't a public problem. It is up to an artisan to determine how, for whom, and for how much, his wares will be promoted. It is up to the purchaser to decide if he wants to do business with that person. If you can't get what you wanted for any reason, however seemingly arbitrary, it really is the way it goes. It is to all of our good fortune that there are excellent cup makers (and other prop makers) that make their wares available to anyone who wants it.

I don't think there is any shortage of highest quality cups right now for anyone who wants them. Just a slightly diminishing list of those who are currently manufacturing them. But, of course, that will change too over time.
Fobulous, Emergency Cash, 3D Paradox, PS-I Love You, X-Ray, The Portal, Ultimate Floating Match, Miracle Premonition... and more!
http://www.shufton.com
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Quote:
On 2007-05-02 17:39, Shufton wrote:
I don't think it matters much - it isn't a public problem. It is up to an artisan to determine how, for whom, and for how much, his wares will be promoted. It is up to the purchaser to decide if he wants to do business with that person. If you can't get what you wanted for any reason, however seemingly arbitrary, it really is the way it goes. It is to all of our good fortune that there are excellent cup makers (and other prop makers) that make their wares available to anyone who wants it.

I don't think there is any shortage of highest quality cups right now for anyone who wants them. Just a slightly diminishing list of those who are currently manufacturing them. But, of course, that will change too over time.

Again the issue is how the crafter comes across. We've made numerous props for performers. Some of which we had a hand in designing, but we don't own the design the creator does, and if he/she sees fit to have someone else make it, they're not ripping off RNT II, they expanding their right to have it mass produced and if they choose to have it done cheaper somewhere else, this is also thier right. In the past the Olive Vase was a big deal, that was the joke of the year with this guy.

Next, there is a way of professionaly telling the public that certain items may be distributed to only people of a select list, to insult the magic community by saying "so called magicians" who the hell died and left him in charge to make that kind of remark or decision? This guy is so full of himself it's sickening and he acts like a 2 year old with his slanderous remarks and name calling, and that's really all he is good at when it all boils down to it.

To use your business website to slander competition is a lowly pathetic attempt to gain market place, but in reality the only damage he did was to his own name. I could give a rats fanny about his products, but if he slanders the company and threatens to make our products, well I'm tooling up and will fight him with his own product. People may like this, they may not. All his remarks were slanderous allegations. Again after the dust settled and a lot of the truth came out about how the sale of RNT II was a legal contractual sale, all the bashers who were proven wrong crawled back under their rocks from where they came. People will publically bash and try to destroy you, but they don't have the spines to appologize for their joint venture in the rock throwing and slandering.

Anyway, back to the Topic. The Golden Age of cups may be reaching a cooling off, but it is certainly not gone, you have Brett Sherwood, Joe Porper and my daughter will be spinning for RNT II since my health has slowed me down. She's only 17, so I see a lot of life left in this company because she's not a quitter or whiner. The Golden Age will continue as other cup makers are sure to surface and as long as RNT II/SBL Magic is here the proucts made will be available to everyone.

Jake
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
God Bless You Jake!

:)

johnny
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
SeanD13
View Profile
Loyal user
Bristol, RI
263 Posts

Profile of SeanD13
Long live RNT II!!!!!!!!!!!
Have you hugged a Cup Junkie lately?

Learn more at www.CupsCon.com
"If We Build It Will you Come?"
Magicpitch
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of Magicpitch
Jake, I call some of the types of people you mention the "Magic Mafia". I certainly wouldn't name anyone's name as a member of that group, but I've said on other forums on many ocassions that there is a small group of people who are willing to clean off their desks and make your life hell if you don't agree with them. I've witnessed people reproducing material myself, and yet, those same people who were copying were quick to try and shut down anything they didn't think of or create.

I've watched them bully their way through many situations, calling names and trashing people publically time and time again. I've certainly been a victim of it myself. So much so I pulled two creations of my own off the market. I had some nice things to release. However, knowing what I know now, I wouldn't consider releasing them because they would only be stolen by dirtbags. In the end, it just isn't worth it.

To bad people see big names and jump in their corners to support them when the facts simply aren't there. It's blind loyalty, which is something I don't give to anyone. I've been trashed a few times over issues that I have the timelines and facts to support. However, people aren't interested in facts and timelines, they are interested in kissing butt of quasi famous people just so they can tell all their friends that they know "such and such".

Until that attitude of blind, reckless loyalty goes away, the magic mafia will prevail and all the good craftsmen will go underground and hand pick their clients.

Take care Jake-
Trying to do the right thing, one customer at a time!
http://www.magicpitch.com/
We weed out the junk so you don't have to!
Visit our Blog at http://magicpitch.blogspot.com/
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Magic Mafia? Na, that sounds, well too professional and organised. How about "Wheelchair Thugs" or "Colostomy Crew"?

Still owe you dinner at Ruth's Steve, let me know when you'll be in town.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2007-04-30 13:59, Dave VanVranken wrote:
Do you think the timing coincided with things like Blaine, Ellusionist, Penguin, etc... coming on the scene???

It's great that someone's trying to court a younger clientele, but it seems to me we're starting to see some of the long term effects. Maybe if Jim Riser started putting out collector quality plastic cups for under $20? That should help Smile

I was just thinking about this the other day. It seems to me that such classic tricks, like the cups and balls and the linking rings, will be forever safe from the likes of Blaine and Angel and other media darlings of the moment. For them, the "payoff" in terms of "profitability" and "tv face time" will never be worth the time and effort one must put into mastering the effects. Even Penn & Teller (whom I personally consider to be fine magicians) had to resort to a "gimmicky" version of C&B to make it "worth it" (and yes, I know that is a slight over-simplification).

Work the cups with impunity!

The loss of a few of the better manufacturers of quality cups is unfortunate (especially to those of us who still need a good Jumbo Cups set!) but the trick is still alive and well, and will be forever.
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
Quote:
On 2007-05-03 00:08, Mad Jake wrote:
Magic Mafia? Na, that sounds, well too professional and organised. How about "Wheelchair Thugs" or "Colostomy Crew"?

Still owe you dinner at Ruth's Steve, let me know when you'll be in town.

LMFAO!

Colostomy Crew!!!
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » The end of the Golden Age of cups? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL