The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » Magick Balay Injured Doing "Smash & Stab" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Brian Turntime
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of Brian Turntime
Quote:
2007-05-12 18:53, TT2 wrote:
I can't believe that people are still performing this. The effect itself sucks, IMO . . . "Look, I didn't get HURT!?!?" What kind of person does something like this? How seemingly idiotic it must appear to a lay person, that a magician would even attempt this, regardless of the outcome. Who in their right mind would even take the chance? I don't care if it's a magician or a mentalist performing it, I feel it is a bad effect. If I had a routine with three forks and a light socket, it would be just about as absurd.


How would you have reacted to Houdini in a water barrel, I wonder? Or when he was handcuffed in a chest and thrown in the river?

An element of danger exists in many top performer's performance arsenals. Richard Osterlind's Acid Test comes to mind.

If there's a difference between this and those other danger tests, I fail to see it.
------

Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died. - Steven Wright
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27104 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Wow, pandemic.

Guess real mentalists have the cut hands to prove it.

Are we going to support this in the same way folks used to prove themselves by winding up with dueling scars?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Banester
View Profile
Special user
669 Posts

Profile of Banester
I used to feel sorry for the performer when he pierced his hand on the spike, but as many people who have been injured I think you are crazy to try it. Sure fool proof, then why are so many people getting hurt? I can't even imagine injuring the audience members like we have seen as well. I saw a version that used an egg instead of a spike, so much better and had some laughs when it didn't work out like it should have.
The art of a magician is to create wonder.
If we live with a sense of wonder, our lives
become filled with joy
-Doug Henning-
ianfarnish
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of ianfarnish
Hi all. have a look at the safer version bish bash bosh by the makers of smash and stab. it uses a egg and a mallet

Have fun
Ian
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20428 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2007-05-28 18:03, Brian Turntime wrote:
Quote:
2007-05-12 18:53, TT2 wrote:
I can't believe that people are still performing this. The effect itself sucks, IMO . . . "Look, I didn't get HURT!?!?" What kind of person does something like this? How seemingly idiotic it must appear to a lay person, that a magician would even attempt this, regardless of the outcome. Who in their right mind would even take the chance? I don't care if it's a magician or a mentalist performing it, I feel it is a bad effect. If I had a routine with three forks and a light socket, it would be just about as absurd.


How would you have reacted to Houdini in a water barrel, I wonder? Or when he was handcuffed in a chest and thrown in the river?

An element of danger exists in many top performer's performance arsenals. Richard Osterlind's Acid Test comes to mind.

If there's a difference between this and those other danger tests, I fail to see it.


So you think Houdini was in danger? Really? You read too many newspaper accounts.

Do you think he was IN THAT CHEST? Hmmmm.

See the problem we have is too many people do not realise the difference in "aparant danger" and REAL DANGER.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
evanthx
View Profile
Regular user
Seattle, WA
197 Posts

Profile of evanthx
I like the egg concept a LOT - that is pretty funny! THAT's a trick I'd like to see. I have to put myself in the camp of folks that just aren't interested in danger and pain as entertainment. Eggs, though, THAT is a trick I'd have fun seeing!
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4954 Posts

Profile of landmark
Is it true that David Roth pierced his hand with an invisible sky hook, then healed it with a well-concealed switch?


Jack Shalom
ChristopherM
View Profile
Special user
UK
844 Posts

Profile of ChristopherM
The absolute worst performance I've seen involving this premise for an effect was where a very young inexperienced magician invited an audience member to plunge his hand onto any one of three bags. Once he'd done that, the performer lifted one of the remaining two to show an upturned knife. The most disgraceful thing I've seen in a long time.
zimsalabim
View Profile
Special user
Orlando Floirda USA
518 Posts

Profile of zimsalabim
Ok I am very sorry somone got hurt doing this. I have been doing this effect for quite some time and to be honest not entirle sure how one can miss with this particular version. I mean blindfolded yeah you could miss but othewise I am at a loss. I have never been in a situation where it didn't work or unsure of whether I had it or not. NEVER would I use a spectators hand that's just nuts. As far as whether its a good effect or not well my audiences have always loved it. But if I were ever unsure of myself or where that little suprise is I would stop dead in my tracks. Ok flame me.
Joe Zimmer

"The Second Greatest Magician in the World"

Who is the Greatest? Everybody else! Borrowed with respect from the late Great Eddie Fechter Owner of the Forks Hotel

Zimsalabim

Orlando Florida
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Quote:
On 2007-05-11 23:16, Mercury52 wrote:
Yup, Simon's mishap ocurred a mere 5 days after Magick's. Not a good week for NY magicians who perform the effect...


I am afraid, we might see more to come.

If you start to think that someone hurt himself doing the trick, whilst performing it yourself, chances are good that you end up hurting yourself as well . . .
Cards never lie
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27104 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
What's the ratio of performer to volunteer blood spilled so far?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1331 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
I know a performer in the uk called Owen Lean who did this trick with his forehead and got it wrong. One trip to the hosptal and I don't think he'll be doing that again!
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
LMAO! Now that's "using your head"!

-J.
"Join my update list here!" http://eepurl.com/uE3Jf
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2007-05-30 18:29, zimsalabim wrote:
Ok I am very sorry somone got hurt doing this. I have been doing this effect for quite some time and to eb honest not entirle sure how one can miss with this particular version. I mean blindfolded yeah you could miss but othewise I am at a loss. I have never been in a situation where it didn't work or unsure of whether I had it or not. NEVER would I use a spectators hand that's just nuts. As far as whether its a good effect or not well my audiences have always loved it. But if I were ever unsure of myself or where that little suprise is I would stop dead in my tracks. Ok flame me.



Not flaming you but I am sure all the others that performed this had the same thoughts as you, It cannot go wrong?
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Those who compare escapes of the greats with this are way out of line. Escapes are totally different then a watch me hurt myself, ha, ha fooled you I am OK.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1331 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
Quote:
On 2007-06-04 22:14, TT2 wrote:
LMAO! Now that's "using your head"!

-J.


I guess he doesn't need to buy 'hole in the head' now!
Magic Mike Japan
View Profile
New user
Yokosuka, Japan (U.S. Mailing Address)
98 Posts

Profile of Magic Mike Japan
I was in Fantasma Magic Shop in NYC last summer and saw Magick perform this amazing trick, never thinking that a guy that clever would hurt himself doing it some day. Just comes to show you that Murphy's Law is alive and well. If you're reading this, Magick, hope you're feeling better and I'll see you in early July when I visit NYC for my summer magic adventure.
"There's no limit to what one man can accomplish, as long as he's willing to let someone else have the credit." (These words were inscribed on a small brass plaque which sat on President Ronald Reagan's desk in the White House during his second term.)
<BR><BR
ChristopherM
View Profile
Special user
UK
844 Posts

Profile of ChristopherM
Quote:
On 2007-06-05 14:02, Andi Peters wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-06-04 22:14, TT2 wrote:
LMAO! Now that's "using your head"!

-J.


I guess he doesn't need to buy 'hole in the head' now!


When Gary Kurtz (a 'pioneer' and 'stalwart' in this area) was putting together 'Leading With Your Head', I somehow don't think he had this in mind...
SeaDawg
View Profile
Special user
The Lunatic Fringe
718 Posts

Profile of SeaDawg
Folks, on another thread there was a discussion about the frequency of your performances versus busted tricks. Perform enough and we know the screw up fairy is gong to visit us.

As I have said before and will re-iterate, my coach refuses to even discuss me considering the routine. When one of the inevitable screw ups happen as they do to all of us who perform lots, the stakes are to high.

For those wishing to have a "danger" routine I cannot strees enough the impact of the Higleys "Traps a Mental" monte routine using abbot daring spring traps. Mess it up and you get a slightly uncomfortable pinch. Maimed is not an option.

I guess I read these threads to remind myself of why I need to keep listening to my coach...
Crazy people take the psycho-path thru the forest...
zimsalabim
View Profile
Special user
Orlando Floirda USA
518 Posts

Profile of zimsalabim
Quote:
On 2007-06-04 23:49, acesover wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-05-30 18:29, zimsalabim wrote:
Ok I am very sorry somone got hurt doing this. I have been doing this effect for quite some time and to eb honest not entirle sure how one can miss with this particular version. I mean blindfolded yeah you could miss but othewise I am at a loss. I have never been in a situation where it didn't work or unsure of whether I had it or not. NEVER would I use a spectators hand that's just nuts. As far as whether its a good effect or not well my audiences have always loved it. But if I were ever unsure of myself or where that little suprise is I would stop dead in my tracks. Ok flame me.



Not flaming you but I am sure all the others that performed this had the same thoughts as you, It cannot go wrong?

Ok if you know the method and I'm not going to tip it. You would have to get awful cocky and jsut not be paying attention AT ALL to what you are doing to miss. I have done this many many times again with strong audience reaction. Its good stuff but not for everyone. I have no idea how this guy hurt himself or what lead to it I am truly sorry fo rhis injury and am glad to hear hes doing well.
Joe Zimmer

"The Second Greatest Magician in the World"

Who is the Greatest? Everybody else! Borrowed with respect from the late Great Eddie Fechter Owner of the Forks Hotel

Zimsalabim

Orlando Florida
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » Magick Balay Injured Doing "Smash & Stab" (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL