We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » Magick Balay Injured Doing "Smash & Stab" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20326 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2007-06-04 17:05, Andi Peters wrote:
I know a performer in the uk called Owen Lean who did this trick with his forehead and got it wrong. One trip to the hosptal and I don't think he'll be doing that again!

Gave him a whole new outlook! BAAAZZZZZZIIINNNNNNNNGGGGGGG!

That is 2 crude jokes in one thread, my record is 3.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1228 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
"12 have died!"

No, sorry, "539 have had nasty cuts!"
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Has anyone here seen the version of this trick where the performer RUNS down a staircase full of cups and the one he does not step on has the spike? Now THAT is a great trick. The element of fear and danger is almost palpable!
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2713 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Maybe I am getting old but I just do not see how this effect can be worth the risk. seems because of Blain and C.A magic is turning more into here watch this stunt. Watch me sit is this clear box in 110 degree weather for two days I'm a magican and this is the best thing I can do! Watch me try to not impale My hand (or yours) on this spike. Watch me stick this needle into My eye watch me see what other stupid thing I can do.

Sorry for the above but it seems that quite a few of the younger magicians think that that is what magic is stunts, such as staying in a box over a river for days etc.. It's not never has been and never will be.

Yes I know there is a place for this type of magic and there are some members of the Café that do it very well. Todd Robbins is one but watch what he does it's not the crud some are pawning off as magic.
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
Just for the record, how many people have been hurt or died performing a particular stunt?

I know someone said that 12 have died doing the bullet catch.

How many have died doing the buried alive stunt? How many other illusions have gone horribly wrong?
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20326 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Well I didn't die but I did throw my back out doing a original card to wallet move.

WOW!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Magik is a mad-man!

First he stabs himself and Now...

check out the Ad on the back wrap of Genii...

He is in the ad with someone holding a KNIFE to his chest. From the folks who brought you S&S...now you can do it with someone PLUNGING A KNIFE INTO YOUR CHEST!

If at first you don't succeed...

Love the Dude!
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
Great! Sounds like a good idea Smile

-J.
"Join my update list here!" http://eepurl.com/uE3Jf
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
We had this discussion at one of our magic clubs. Supposily there are several videos on You-Tube on this, one of which the magician used the volunteers hand and spiked it. Imagine all those who are embarassed to tell anyone of their mishap!

Now there is one on the market that uses bottles and is absolutly safe but it has the same audience effect without any real danger!
Dennis Michael
dbuckalew
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of dbuckalew
ibm_usa
View Profile
Special user
In Your Mind, Ky, USA
722 Posts

Profile of ibm_usa
Quote:
On 2007-05-09 00:21, Eddie Garland wrote:
Geeesh...in the 70's when hook coins were popular you could tell a magician by the scars on the BACK of their hands. Smile

something tells me that one that was painful, two you couldn't do it again, thirdly it isn't around anymore.
"You may think that i only talk of things from the past, you know, history, well magic is history"

-Guy Jarrett

"Curiosity isn't a sin Harry, but it should be exorcised with great caution."

-Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire)
http://www.jordanallen-mentalist.webs.com/
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11989 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Angela did a version Im sure you saw. I am sure there was a safety net with this version. I mean, can't there be a modification to make this completely safe?
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11989 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Can Smash and Stab be modified (for those who own it) to be used with something besides a real nail (fake spike, knife etc)?
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1331 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
Quote:
On 2007-11-18 07:26, Candini wrote:
Can Smash and Stab be modified (for those who own it) to be used with something besides a real nail (fake spike, knife etc)?

I have performed this trick replacing the nail with a live mouse. The advantage here is that the spec or magi is in no danger at all and yet an element of danger still remains.
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1301 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
From the versions I know about you have to lose all concentration to miss it.
They don't seem that unsafe to me.
Angela's version on Phenomon was one of the Safer versions.
The one with the Spike and styrofoam cups is not as safe for various reasons.
Mobius
Bill Fienning
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of Bill Fienning
This effect makes the spectators squeamish; I would be surprised if most of the audience would like to see the trick done again. One problem that I have with it involves the manner of presentation. These are a couple of thoughts that might pass through the audience's mind.

1) This is some sort of electrical or mechanical trick, not a demonstration of special mental abilities.

2) It was just dumb luck that the magician smashed the right cups. (I have seen it presented in such a way that this seemed to be the explanation for the trick.)

None of the methods are 100% reliable. I know someone who is extremely cautious and careful, but the mechanism failed. I think there are better tricks that are more impressive to the audience.
Bill Fienning

"It's More than Tricks"
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11989 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Great thoughts here.....I also asked about replacing the spike but I was told it could not be replaced.

Wow, a mouse interesting. When I have done it (homemade versions) I do not see how one could loose concentration. Making a mistake I can see but just loosing thought I cannot.

I would be interested in the one Angela's version but I assume it is a special made version.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3622 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
If you're stupid enough to do this routine, use the "beer bottle" version. I'm not sure who makes it, but it's 100% safe. The broken beer bottle is replaced (switched) with a harmless one.

Jim
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2122 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
A week ago, Magick decided to perform the effect one more time...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1whUHSMm5M
Kevin Reylek
Scott Alexander
View Profile
V.I.P.
1467 Posts

Profile of Scott Alexander
Shattered is the safest. I wouldn't trust any other method.

http://nnmagic.com/magicitems/stagemagicpage_mz.htm
-Scott

Visit my PRO MAGIC SHOP

www.scottalexander.bigcartel.com

Website

www.scottalexandermagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » Magick Balay Injured Doing "Smash & Stab" (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL