The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The May 2007 entrée: Jeff Hobson » » Lecture Network » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MattWayne
View Profile
Special user
Manhattan, NY | Studio City, CA
624 Posts

Profile of MattWayne
Hey Jeff,

I was chatting with my friend David Starr the other day and your name came up. He told me that you had started an online Lecture Network. Just wanted to wish you well with it. I'm sure members here on the Café would benefit from this; any more information you could provide to those that might be interested?

Hope all is well! Glad to see you on here:0)

take care,
Matt
Matt Wayne
The Celebrity Magicianâ„¢
www.CelebrityMagician.com / youtube.com/celebritymagician / twitter.com/RealMattWayne /
Facebook.com/CelebrityMagician

Creator of, 'Got a Light?' and others.
Spokesperson behind, TouchTricks
jeffhobson
View Profile
V.I.P.
246 Posts

Profile of jeffhobson
TALK ABOUT AN EXCITING PROJECT!. . . .can you tell I'm glad you asked me about this? Geez. . where do I begin? I think I'll have to take this one in stages. Howabout "how did this project start?'. WOW. . I'm glad you asked!

Loren Christopher Michaels - one of the best minds in magic and theater - was chatting with me one day last year and said, "Wouldn't it be great to be able to have live, magic lectures over the internet?". I agreed. Technology has caught up with the dream and today we have The Lecture Network. We're going "LIVE" on June 3d. . . . I won't go into the details here as you can just go to the pre-launch site: http://www.TheLectureNetwork.com

I guess this is a shameless plug but this is really going to rock the magic world. I'll be hosting the best magic lectures LIVE and then the videos get archived so members can view them over and over. The membership cost is very reasonable since it comes to just a few dollars per lecture AND they're all interactive. Members will be able to use a chat window to ask questions. . LIVE! Cool, huh?

We're accepting advanced subscriptions now to avoid the rush and to give customers free gifts for early-bird memberships. We also have some "sneak peeks" on the Vintage Magic clip section. Soon, members will be able to vote for the winning blooper video.

And speaking of. . . we have a Magic Blooper Contest going on currently. If you have a funny magic blooper you can submit to us. . . you could win a free subscription to The Lecture Network and a trip to Las Vegas! Go to the web site for more details

CAN I SAY MORE> > > > geez. . . . . if you belong to the I.B.M. or the F.C.M., and you purchase a MAIN FLOOR or FRONT ROW subscription, 10% of the membership cost will be sent to the magician's support fund to each organization respectively to assist magician's in financial crisis.

I'm sure there's more to tell. . .but I'll let you ask the questions. . .
The Hilarious Host of Las Vegas!
VISIT my magic shop: www.HobsonsChoiceMagic.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
So what else is new?
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
jeffhobson
View Profile
V.I.P.
246 Posts

Profile of jeffhobson
Thank you Perky Pete!

I believe that was a joke. . . .at least I think that was!

New?. . . . . just working my tail off on getting The Lecture Network set for the free-access, June 3rd, Grand Opening. Also doing my one-nighters. . . . just finished one last night at the Wynn Hotel and another one in the Midwest next week. I also have a few other irons in the fire as far as long-term show contracts. . . but I'm in no rush for those right now. I planning on the new Egg Bag release soon. . . . and also have decided to produce a documentary on my experience in having my own, one-man show in Las Vegas when I had "Money and Madness". I'll go through getting the gig, working with the venue staff, the meetings, events in chronological order, writing the show, performing it for 5 month and then, the eventual demise. It will be titled, "The Life and Death of a Las Vegas show". That one, however, will take a while. Planning on a DVD release late 2007/early 2008.
Jay Austin
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of Jay Austin
The site appears to be down this afternoon. I tries to register last night and got a SQL error message.
Jay Austin

http://austin-computer-solutions.com/
Hire a tech, not a geek.
sman
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of sman
I tried to register today and got the same SQL error messages. Advertisements seem intriging and interesting.

SKip
Rodney Palmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of Rodney Palmer
Jeff, the site is down or experiencing difficluties.

Rodney
"Creating Memories That Last A Lifetime"

In order to keep "MAGIC ALIVE" Please become a Mentor to a Young Person.
jeffhobson
View Profile
V.I.P.
246 Posts

Profile of jeffhobson
Please keep trying. . . we're constantly doing updates to the site which will put it "down" for a short time. . . . I just now tried and everything seems to be up and working. . . . . 10:37 PST Saturday.
BrainMagos
View Profile
Special user
553 Posts

Profile of BrainMagos
Hello Jeff,

Could you give as a scoop here as to who the first lecturers (besides McKing and Lance Burton) will be? Smile

Thanks in advance,

BM
jeffhobson
View Profile
V.I.P.
246 Posts

Profile of jeffhobson
Yes. . . . we already have Kevin James, Norm Nielsen and Dirk Losander. . .all in June. . . . already for July we have Cyril, Tony Clark and Ali Bongo. More to come.
BrainMagos
View Profile
Special user
553 Posts

Profile of BrainMagos
Thanks Jeff! The line-up looks really promising!

I would expect tons of people logging in to see Cyril. Make sure you have the right bandwidth for it Smile

BM
jeffhobson
View Profile
V.I.P.
246 Posts

Profile of jeffhobson
Will do!!!!
Jay Austin
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of Jay Austin
Jeff have you taken into consideration the podcast hitting the p2p sites as soon as they are posted on your site? I hate to see people get ripped off that way.
Jay Austin

Hire a tech, not a geek.
Maestro
View Profile
Special user
802 Posts

Profile of Maestro
Everything downloadable can potentially be distributed as a torrent, so I don't think there is much to do besides either stream stuff only or rely on people's integrity not to download or share it (I could be wrong). I would hope though that if people are paying so much money for the privilege of being a part of this community they would not devalue it in that way. I also think that there comes a point where we have to rely on the integrity of the magic community to keep the p2p sharers/downloaders in the minority.
jeffhobson
View Profile
V.I.P.
246 Posts

Profile of jeffhobson
This is the way we figure it at The Lecture Network. People who are going to rip off. . . are going to rip off. . .no matter what blocks technology can put on a file. For instance, our viewing window is a good size but no so big so, if one were to try and "capture" it, they really couldn't do much with it. Certainly not put it on a DVD to view. Same with podcasts. . . . trying to make it high-res after copying it just won't happen. If people want to go to great lengths to rip it off. . . they will. However, we will make it not worth the effort.

You are right. There comes a time when you must trust people who are paying a premium that they keep their investment intact.
Jay Austin
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of Jay Austin
Very true statements. I do see a ton of pirated junk out there though. Most of them are riddled with viruses because of it. For example, I have one in my shop that I ran a virus scan on today and it had over 48,000 viruses in one scanner. That is not including spy-ware either. I have look at the torrent sites to see what is out there and there are tons of magic stuff out there that if someone were to download it all they would have a lifetime of material to learn. Jeff has the right idea by making the resolution small enough that it makes it almost useless to put on a DVD. It does all come down to trust. Most of the ones that I see are from kids downloading music or people getting adult material. Like I said, I just hate to see people getting riped off. I was wondering what they had done to limit the risks. Jeff, good luck on the site. It looks great and I look forward to seeing what you are going to offer. I do not get to conventions much and this is a great resource for us to have.
Jay Austin

Hire a tech, not a geek.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
My guess is that these people that are so infatuated with getting magic tricks for free and stealing from the creators spend huge amounts of time downloading, and searching, and stealing and very little time actually practicing any of these things that they steal. I would bet that most of the material stolen is probably never even looked at. They steal in bunches and don't realize that nobody has the time to NEED all this materal. It just sits there.

They quickly scan some of the material. They learn the methods. And they apply nothing. All their time is spent stealing and browsing for more. They don't improve, they forget most of what they downloaded and it serves them right.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
jeffhobson
View Profile
V.I.P.
246 Posts

Profile of jeffhobson
Yes. . . well said!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The May 2007 entrée: Jeff Hobson » » Lecture Network » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL