The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Do you roll your sleeves up? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
The Great Danton
View Profile
Elite user
Westfield, North Carolina, USA
449 Posts

Profile of The Great Danton
Justin Style, Although I respect you for some of things you said you have done and I can tell you have been in this business for a long time, I do not agree with you and frankly I have lost some respect for you because you come off as trying to seem a little bit better then some of the others on the forum from what you have said.

Quote:
Ok, I don't take a stance that something is Inherently right or wrong. I am only stating MY opinion. Your opinion is yours. Since you know everything, may I ask what makes you such an expert? What type of shows do you perform? How often?
Maybe you can teach me more? I am always open to suggestions as well as the fair and free exchange of information and ideas.

No offense, but you sound like you don't really care what others opinions are. Maybe I'm wrong..I really don't know anything, and I certainly don't know everything. But they didn't say anything about knowing everything or being an expert.

In my opinion, it is up to the performer, if he/she sees it fit to roll up their sleeves, then more power to them. Lance Burton rolls his sleeves in his FISM dove and manipulation act, and I don't see it as a "sign of weakness". Maybe the performer just likes the look? More layed back and having a good time performing, but down to business.

I pick and choose which performances I roll up my sleeves, sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. It depends on who I am performing for. Younger people I do, Older people usually I don't. Younger people tend to think that it's just a cool look, but it sends that subtile message as well.

The Great Danton
"You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house."
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
Quote:
On 2007-05-08 14:23, gsidhe wrote:
Justin,
Rolling up the sleeves is not inherantly a sign of weakness as you seem to be making it out to be.
It would never be considered one in real life, so why would it be on stage?
In everyday life, as far as body language goes, what does rolling up the sleeves mean?
Time to get to work. To get serious about something. What they are about to do takes some work and or concentration, so they had best be comfortable.

To me, rolling up the sleeves in an act CAN convey that as well. The sleeves going up are a subtle psycological cue-"Ok...What I was doing before was fun, but now it is time for the real thing, time to get to work".
It is a relatable and understandable gesture. It can draw the audience closer to the character while relaxing them, making the performer more human than they once appeared. It can help to get them on your side.

Granted, in real life, we are not going to roll up our sleeves and show how bare our arms are "See...No office supplies in there!!", and I would not want to see a magician doing that either (Unless it was intentional hack). It needs to look natural.

If we don't act a little human on stage, the audience cannot relate to the show. I think rolling up the sleeves is an acceptable way.

Just to head off the inevitible questions like the ones you asked Laurie and Jack Scratch-Here is who you are talking to.
I have been performing on stage in one way or another since I was 6 years old. Not as a kid in the school choir either, but as a solo violinist. I also did my first chain escape in front of an audience that same year. I ran away for several months when I was 16 and made a decent living doing betchas, magic and other street performance. I have a BA in Theatre Performance (Concentration in dialect and Directing), minors in Music, English and Sculpture. Out of college I went straight to work as a street performer for one of the larger Theme Parks, and then worked full time as a magician for about three years, doing voice over and commercial work in my spare time.
Currently, I design effects and perform with the Dolls Macabre Cabaret- A Fire, Burlesque and Performance Art Troupe. I also write, act and direct for the Grimprov (www.grimprov.com) Murder Mystery Dinner Theatre and am the co-owner of Knotty Bits Entertainment, which performs Sideshow, traditional Stage and Bizarre Magic at festival, coorperate and private functions. I also have an effect commercially available on the web.
Since you asked Jack Scratch how often does he perform, I'll assume you would like to know the same of anyone who posts here.
From now, until the end of June, I have about 48 shows booked for Knotty Bits in a 400 mile radius, 2 Murder Mysteries and One show booked with the Cabaret.

So...I'm a nobody too. A very busy nobody.
Gwyd

You said exactly what I was going at - only you used far more words. Smile
We'll catch ya on the Back of the Cereal Box!
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
A flaw of mine.
Too wordy.
G
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Ok now. Thanks for the replys. Your input is valuable and I will learn from it.
ChristopherM
View Profile
Special user
UK
844 Posts

Profile of ChristopherM
In everyday life, I roll my sleeves back more often than when performing. So it's something I generally do, anyway. I seem to remember Darwin Ortiz talking about rolling sleeves up and its merits/benefits in Strong Magic. Thought-provoking stuff; I like a topic like this.
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Thanks. It was/is my intention to have a provocative subject that would evoke a lot of emotions. I didn't want this to turn into a argument. I was only asking questions, sincerely. There is no animosity and my intention pure. I DO Not Think I am better than anyone! Sometimes I can be a little frank and direct in my conversation, but by no means do I put myself above anyone. Nor, do I want to tell anyone what’s right or wrong. I don’t even know what I’m doing.

I don't know you and I am sure that you are a nice person so if I seem to come a little too fast, please excuse me. I'm on full speed ahead, NYC time. Believe me, no harm intended.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
David Roth is one of the best coin men alive. And I'm certain that he does NOT fear his audience. However, I don't like the rolled up sleeves with a jacket. Frankly, I think it looks stupid. Purely from a fashion perspective.

I mean maybe for 15 minutes back in the early eighties it was cool to roll up your shirt and jacket sleeves ala' Crockett on "Miami Vice". But I cringe evertime I see David Roth or anyone else doing that now.

Shirt sleeves rolled up are fine. But rolling up jacket sleeves looks gay as all hell to me.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
If this whole discussion is basically about the rolling up of sleeves to avoid suspicion then I'm afraid it's to no avail.
No matter what we do magicians will always be suspected of some chicanery.
Do we really have to prove everything? I think not.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On 2007-05-08 17:48, Vandy Grift wrote:
David Roth is one of the best coin men alive. And I'm certain that he does NOT fear his audience. However, I don't like the rolled up sleeves with a jacket. Frankly, I think it looks stupid. Purely from a fashion perspective.

I mean maybe for 15 minutes back in the early eighties it was cool to roll up your shirt and jacket sleeves ala' Crockett on "Miami Vice". But I cringe evertime I see David Roth or anyone else doing that now.

Shirt sleeves rolled up are fine. But rolling up jacket sleeves looks gay as all hell to me.

Oh, and are you some kind of fashion expert? What are your credentials? Smile Smile

~ magicalaurie, mgoQotMpi Smile
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
Quote:
On 2007-05-08 13:31, Justin Style wrote:

Quote:
On 2007-05-08 13:31, JackScratch wrote:

That post is a sign that you read what I wrote and cherry picked the words you thought supported what you are saying. Make no mistake, you and I do not agree. In one of these posts, you make a comment about it "being part of your character". Almost anything you can imagine, can be the right thing to do. I almost always disagree with anyone who takes the stance that something is inherently right or wrong.

Reaching your audience is right, not reaching them is wrong. Anything more is limiting the creativity of expresion, and retarding the progress of our art.

Ok, I don't take a stance that something is Inherently right or wrong. I am only stating MY opinion. Your opinion is yours. Since you know everything, may I ask what makes you such an expert? What type of shows do you perform? How often?
Maybe you can teach me more? I am always open to suggestions as well as the fair and free exchange of information and ideas.

Why don't you worry more about making a good logical point, and listening to other people who do so as well, and stop worrying about credentials. If your so all fired worried about it, my URL is posted in my personals on this forum, and you can go visit it. I recomend you don't because it shouldn't matter. Experience is far from the only way to learn.

You made the statement that rolling up ones sleves during a performance is a sign of weakness. Yes, that is your opinion. Your opinion in this particular case is completely wrong, and several people are very poitely pointing that out to you. They are telling you what is wrong about it, how it is wrong, and why it is wrong. They are making sound logical arguements, and all for your benefit. You, on the other hand are getting defensive about it. Fact is, I don't care who you are, how long you've been performing, or how successful your are, you can still learn from others.

I don't know everything, far from it. I do, however, know what I know, and what I don't know, and I never open my big dumb mouth about anything I'm not quite certain of. Even then, I am occasionaly wrong, and when someone makes a good logical case against what I'm saying, and actualy shows me, in clear and concise term, what I have wrong, I will always admit fault, and thank them for their time and patience. I am drawn to education like a moth to a flame.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2007-05-09 08:50, magicalaurie wrote:

Oh, and are you some kind of fashion expert? What are your credentials? Smile Smile

~ magicalaurie, mgoQotMpi Smile

I got two eyes and a brain, those are my credentials. LOL!
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Quote:

I wouldn't actually call anyone gay. But I do agree with what you said. Thanks.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
I didn't say anyone WAS gay. I just said anyone who does that LOOKS gay. LOL!

Yes, I am aware that's a terribly Un-PC thing to say. Which is, of course, why I said it.
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Quote:
On 2007-05-09 12:26, Vandy Grift wrote:
I didn't say anyone WAS gay. I just said anyone who does that LOOKS gay. LOL!

Yes, I am aware that's a terribly Un-PC thing to say. Which is, of course, why I said it.

OK. Well talk about acting gay on stage, that's a whole 'nother can o' worms!...I ain't even going there.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On 2007-05-09 12:26, Vandy Grift wrote:

I knew that. Smile Smile
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On 2007-05-09 12:22, Justin Style wrote:
Quote:

I wouldn't actually call anyone gay. But I do agree with what you said. Thanks.
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
Rolling up Jacket Sleeves is a subject of fasion. Fasion is tricky. What is in today, is out tomorrow. You could roll up jacket skeeves in the 80s and they would love it. Today, you might be retro. It would be a daring and bold fasion statement. Daring and bold fasion statements yield inconsistant results. A magicians should attempt to obtain a consistant quality product.
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Quote:
On 2007-05-08 14:23, gsidhe wrote:
Justin,
Rolling up the sleeves is not inherantly a sign of weakness as you seem to be making it out to be.
It would never be considered one in real life, so why would it be on stage?
In everyday life, as far as body language goes, what does rolling up the sleeves mean?
Time to get to work. To get serious about something. What they are about to do takes some work and or concentration, so they had best be comfortable.

To me, rolling up the sleeves in an act CAN convey that as well. The sleeves going up are a subtle psycological cue-"Ok...What I was doing before was fun, but now it is time for the real thing, time to get to work".
It is a relatable and understandable gesture. It can draw the audience closer to the character while relaxing them, making the performer more human than they once appeared. It can help to get them on your side.

Granted, in real life, we are not going to roll up our sleeves and show how bare our arms are "See...No office supplies in there!!", and I would not want to see a magician doing that either (Unless it was intentional hack). It needs to look natural.

If we don't act a little human on stage, the audience cannot relate to the show. I think rolling up the sleeves is an acceptable way.

Just to head off the inevitible questions like the ones you asked Laurie and Jack Scratch-Here is who you are talking to.
I have been performing on stage in one way or another since I was 6 years old. Not as a kid in the school choir either, but as a solo violinist. I also did my first chain escape in front of an audience that same year. I ran away for several months when I was 16 and made a decent living doing betchas, magic and other street performance. I have a BA in Theatre Performance (Concentration in dialect and Directing), minors in Music, English and Sculpture. Out of college I went straight to work as a street performer for one of the larger Theme Parks, and then worked full time as a magician for about three years, doing voice over and commercial work in my spare time.
Currently, I design effects and perform with the Dolls Macabre Cabaret- A Fire, Burlesque and Performance Art Troupe. I also write, act and direct for the Grimprov (www.grimprov.com) Murder Mystery Dinner Theatre and am the co-owner of Knotty Bits Entertainment, which performs Sideshow, traditional Stage and Bizarre Magic at festival, coorperate and private functions. I also have an effect commercially available on the web.
Since you asked Jack Scratch how often does he perform, I'll assume you would like to know the same of anyone who posts here.
From now, until the end of June, I have about 48 shows booked for Knotty Bits in a 400 mile radius, 2 Murder Mysteries and One show booked with the Cabaret.

So...I'm a nobody too. A very busy nobody.
Gwyd

Thanks GWYD!

Nice to meet you, El gusto, es Todo mio. I like what you have to say. First I'd like to compliment you on your impressive list of accomplishments and achievements. Impressive indeed!

You make good points about the sleeves and I can see your vision. You put thought into all of your movements and therefore have a reason for each, which makes sense. Yes, lets roll up our sleeves and now get busy. There is motivation. It has a reason and therefore is completely justified. That’s something I can understand, rolling sleeves up just to prove a point, I can’t.

Thanks again for taking the time, I appreciate it!

Justin

‘From now, until the end of June, I have about 48 shows booked for Knotty Bits in a 400 mile radius, 2 Murder Mysteries and One show booked with the Cabaret.’

Don’t worry, things will pick up! Lol Smile (sorry man, I couldn't resist)
Slappy
View Profile
Loyal user
North Hollywood, CA
266 Posts

Profile of Slappy
[/quote]
I feel as a performer, it is MY job to control the audience. If they want to think it’s up the sleeve, let them, who cares? [/quote]

This is audience control??
"Help, I've got a silver ball stuck on my thumb"
Slappy
View Profile
Loyal user
North Hollywood, CA
266 Posts

Profile of Slappy
Justin,
When we roll up our sleeves we are eliminating at least one method in the eyes of the audience. Of course we have many other methods to imploy, but by removing our jackets and rolling up our sleeves we are employing some clever "misdirection", just MHO.
Slappy
"Help, I've got a silver ball stuck on my thumb"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Do you roll your sleeves up? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL