The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Man. . .Just cut the deck !! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Jeremy Brown
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of Jeremy Brown
sodman12
View Profile
Special user
raleigh
601 Posts

Profile of sodman12
Looks good in the fact that I thought you were just reversing the cut and it turned out to be cold deck. Its kinda slow but I'm not sure if that was what your going for since the title is what it is.

I wouldn't let someone cut the deck in a game I was playing in like this although If someone was just looking I doubt they would say anything.
you can fool all of the people some of the time and some of the people all the time but never all of the people all the time.
naali
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of naali
Looks quite nice
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
It looked a bit fishy but I think you might get away with it. At least its a one handed cut on the table to start with. Any two handed cut is simply not allowed in any game where I play. It needs some more work to look more honest in my opinion, I like idea though.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Jeremy Brown
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of Jeremy Brown
A hustler once told me that if it isn't for real it will always have kinks. Cold deckin is very tough to get away with, but believe me when I say this is inferior to the ones I use in a game.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
With all due respect, No. Not in a game, unless it's SUPERDUPERSOFT, and I mean where people don't care at all about any kind of procedure.

You can't really see the switch on the video I admit. But coming back, throwing up a shield with one hand and covering the deck completely with the other hand? My own grandma would say "what the %&@# do you think you're doing?"

It looks like a muck move, which has it's place. But you can't do a muck move right after the cut and before the deal. It's not the right time. There is no reason to sheild the deck like that, at that moment.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
It no longer loads, it now says it's a 'private video'?
Jeremy Brown
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of Jeremy Brown
I believe I have enough input.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2007-05-03 15:21, silverking wrote:
It no longer loads, it now says it's a 'private video'?

Was it something I said?

Jeremy you know I'm just giving my opinion. I've always told people they know better what they can get away with in their games than I do. If you think it would fly, that's fine, you would know.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Jeremy, I'd have liked to have seen it.

If I posted a video and asked for opinions, and guys like Vandy and Tommy DIDN'T tell me what they really thought about it, I'd be choked.

If my move has a weakness, I'd want to know what it was before I show it to anybody else!

It's sometimes hard to have perspective on moves you're doing, even if you video tape them.
There's nothing like a fresh set of eyes to give you the REAL skinny on what it's looking like.

........that's just my opinion, I'm not trying to rock the boat.
C. Loubard
View Profile
Special user
615 Posts

Profile of C. Loubard
Posting videos, about gambling moves, on here is pointless. All but a few here are no where near qualified to even comment-- I'm speaking in general terms that this site is geared towards magicians not hustlers, regardless of our little space here on the forum.

Jeremy, in my opinion, you did the right thing by going private. personally, I would have just sent a pm with an invite to view to a few here.
Jeremy Brown
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of Jeremy Brown
This has definatly been a lesson to remember. People who don't know what they are talking about think they reserve the right to talk down about a move. Vandi have you tried this move? Your answer is no. You don't reserve the right to tare it down. I singled this move out, but maybe I shouldnt have.

Let me explain. If a move gets the money nothing more should be said. Have you seen "the real hustle" where paul wilson rings the deck in? You can see it on Youtube. Note:you see Paul excecute the move at the table. Did the guys they were hustling see it? No not untill they singled the move out and told them.

If there was surveilance the move would be more difficult to pull off. Though the move Mr. Wilson excecuted was simple I can say nothing because it got the money.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
I don't think I did tear it down. I tried to be as respectful as I could. you posted it, I told you what I thought of it. I'm not going to try it, because if I tried it in a game, I'd be busted. I don't have to try it to know that. I don't have to eat a whole egg to know it's rotten either.

I'm sorry you didn't care for my opinion. As I stated, it's only my opinion. If you like the move and it will work for you, use it.

If THAT move "gets you the money". Well, God bless you. Go get the money. If you want me to say that in games I play, with the people that I play with that that move would fly...then fine it would fly. Feel better now?

You think I don't know what I'm talking about, and you are secure in the knowledge that you have a great move there... I can live with that.

Keep on keeping on.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
You only have to be a player to give a valid opinion. Its only players opinions that count when at a card table. When I give an opinion I try and tell you how I would see it if I were a player at the table. No offence intended IMHO it looked fishy.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
C. Loubard
View Profile
Special user
615 Posts

Profile of C. Loubard
Jeremy in all fairness to the rest, you did what any typical magician would do you singled out the move without wrapping it up in the environment you would be in, i.e, noise, cajoling, drinking etc.

my take; would the move fly? an emphatic 100% yes in the environment. does that mean head to head? Not sure I would have to evaluate your typical playing style and see if it was inconsistent with the rest of your physiology.

I've seen many beautiful moves, but they would never work at the table for some because the operators physiology was inconsistent with his natural rhythm.

I hate magic because it all looks fishy, there are a few exceptions, and I may even be fooled many of the times, but it doesn't mean I didn't suspect something early on... and that's all it takes. If I have to question a movement then you have failed... it means you are not congruent with normality.

the true magicians in life are hustlers. They truly understand human behavior
Unknown419
View Profile
Inner circle
1321 Posts

Profile of Unknown419
I'm Back....

I lost my cell phone (modem) and couldn't get access to the Internet for a couple of days but I'm back to put in my two cents.

Quote:
On 2007-05-03 15:11, Vandy Grift wrote:
With all due respect, No. Not in a game, unless it's SUPERDUPERSOFT, and I mean where people don't care at all about any kind of procedure.

You can't really see the switch on the video I admit. But coming back, throwing up a shield with one hand and covering the deck completely with the other hand? My own grandma would say "what the %&@# do you think you're doing?"

It looks like a muck move, which has its place. But you can't do a muck move right after the cut and before the deal. It's not the right time. There is no reason to shield the deck like that, at that moment.

Jeremy, Vandy is absolutely right and I told you this before. Every Move Must Have A (Logical) Reason and a player will notice this. You have to do a move that is above the players knowledge so that he will accept the fake for the real in other words if Vandy was at the table you were playing at, you would have to rob him too. Note: All suckers (meaning players that is not at your level of expertise) must be robbed with the rest of the suckers (inexperienced ones).

Wisdom Come With Listening

For the record Jeremy's Cold Decking far exceeds any one that I know. Now that that's said I need to point out some things. What everybody said here is perfectly correct according to certain conditions. Jeremy Vandy and Loubard as far as I know are the real deal and their viewpoints should be respected beside the fact that all view points need to be respected. Why? Because the student can never get better if he doesn't listen to his audience (the people he play with).

If you take Tommy and Vandy's viewpoint and look at what they're saying from a different perspective you would say to yourself that they are right. Why, when you taught me Doc as long as it can get the money etc. In life everything is never totally explained until the subject is brought up in conversations like this to get the total picture.

Jeremy, inferior cold deckers moves don’t look half as good as yours and they live quite well off of it. This is what I was actually explaining to you when we were talking. Now the area Tommy and Vandy is talking about I pointed out to you before you came up with your ultimate one. Every move must have a reason is what I tried to drill into you head and you really didn’t understand it until they critiqued your inferior cold decking footage.

You don't ever want to arouse suspicion of any kind because of what Loubard said, " If I have to question a movement then you have failed. This is why I limit my cold decking moves to the one's that look the most innocent. Your move was questioned even though it got the money...meaning the next time you try it at the same table of players the ones who thought they saw something before will now pay closer attention to you the next time you cut the deck (when you splash) and you don't ever want that just incase of a kink.

I know it has happened to me before in a game. A guy thought I stole a card out of the deck when I took off the whole deck when cutting the pack. I in turn told him to count the cards if he thought that I stole a card and when he did, he lied and said it was 51 cards when I knew it was 52 so I told another player (without me touching the deck) to count the cards and when he did he said it was 52. That's how I got away with that incident.

I Listened To My Audience And So Must You

Remember it's your audience (players) that makes you better if you only listen to them because it is they who you have to please. Fishy means that 8 players didn't notice anything wrong but it's the 9th player that will wake up (tell) the dead (the other 8 sleeping-non paying attention players).

Bottom Line: All fishy looking moves MUST BE DELETED from your repertoire even if you like them.

Take Care

Respectfully

Doc
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
I think the move does have a logical reason: i.e

After a sloppy sort of one haded table cut, where the deck is not left square. One would square the deck, almost as if saying sorry.

Like I said I like the idea.

Tommy
C. Loubard
View Profile
Special user
615 Posts

Profile of C. Loubard
Exactly what Doc said is what I said but in different words.

Jeremy, look at how you normally act frame the move with in the context of your natural behavior. Does it look right? does it feel right? is it consistent with your mannerisms? If you answer no to any of these questions then the move is not right for you.

The traditional hop, for instance, magicians DO NOT and never WILL NOT no how to perform it correctly. Why? Because they don't know the context of how it should be done. They do it as a move when, IN FACT, it is not... It is part of a carefully orchestraded series of movements.

There is only one other person who I have ever seen do the hop with any degree of deception. The fact is, he is on this board, however, I would hardly call this person a magician. He has carfully blended the hop as a part of a series of other movements.

As for me, I too do the hop as part of an orchestrated series of moves... Not just a move.

the point is, what ever your move is blend it into your natural movement.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
I thought about this quite a bit last night, because I want to be absolutely fair. I still can't say that particular move looked good. I'm sorry, I just can't. Having said that, maybe I shouldn't have dismissed it out of hand.

The move looked very suspect. The first time I saw the clip, I thought you were going to do a shift. It turned out to be a cold deck. It didn't really matter that I didn't see a switch coming at first, I knew something was going on. That's the problem with spotlighting a move like that. I've played in games where you could probably have gotten away with it. But here's is what would happen if WE were playing together and you did that. The INSTANT your hands went over that deck (while you had two decks on the table) I would have yelled STOP! At the top of my lungs. And everyone at that that table would snap their heads around and look right at your hands. And I'd say "what are you doing"? You would be cold busted. If you somehow managed to get the deck out and leave the cooler in, the least I would do is say "I didn't like the look of that, excuse my paranoia, but I'd like have those cards shuffled and cut again". If you refused, one of us would be leaving that table. Either way, it would be a mess.

Still, I shouldn't say that move would never fly. There are some places where it would fly I'm sure. Context and all that other stuff helps as well. Frankly, I agree that for the most part it's very difficult and in the end probably unfair to judge a move that is being spotlighted like that. It's not really possible to do. There are two many factors involved.

Also, while I still don't like the "shielding" of the deck. It's not unheard of and if worked out correctly, the actions aren't completely out of place. It kinda reminds me of the left hand action in that Charlie Miller table shift. Where the left hand comes across. The only difference is the Miller thing is a shift and it's easy to come up clean immedietly after the move. Frankly, I always thought that shift was a bit borderline, but it happens so fast it could fly. I can't do it, but that dosen't mean it can't fly. And I guess the same goes for Jeremys cold deck move.

I always feel weird doing this, because I still marvel at how thin skinned some of our "hustlers" around here can be. But Jeremy, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have criticised your move. I shouldn't have said anything at all. And if you ever decide to post another move, trust me, I won't say a word.
Jeremy Brown
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of Jeremy Brown
Two wrongs don't make a right. Vandy I felt as if you were personally attacking me, and for that assumption I am sorry. Basically you let me beleive that you thought it was garbage and didn't even deserve a second look. I wasnt about to let other people speak so terrible about a switch that works for me, so I took down the video. That is all. I said, "I believe I have enough input." That was truth.

Vandy and Tommy, I absolutely did not mean for it to sound like your opinions didn't matter, because they do. Still I have learned a valueble lesson.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Man. . .Just cut the deck !! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL