We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Myspace on business cards?! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Magic_Steve
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1476 Posts

Profile of Magic_Steve
Hey all. Well...here's what I was wondering. Is it unprofessional or not to put a myspace link on your business card?

I want to, but I'm not sure if it will take away from my overall image, and me trying to get treated as a pro, despite my age. Also keep in mind how big myspace is getting. Movies and major companies are starting to use myspace to promote their products and services.

So, the question remains. Is it professional or not to promote your myspace link on your business cards?

Let the discussion begin!

Best,
Steve
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20661 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The goalposts keep moving.

Myspace is definatly a kids mostly place. Yes movies do use it, but mostly movies that need to reach tons of kids. Or young adults.

You will have very few corporate executives who will go to myspace to see your "page".

I think it is constantly changing what is or is not professional in this case. I think it does kind of highlight your age, and you are trying to gloss that over. So from that perspective maybe not a great idea. I make no claim if it is good or bad, but if you are trying to gloss over the age, then maybe a place where people your age tend to congregate, is not a good thing to point out.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Magic_Steve
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1476 Posts

Profile of Magic_Steve
Oh, and here is my myspace page I am thinking of using. Let me know what you all think. Any and all criticism is greatly appreciated!

http://www.myspace.com/simmonsmagic

Best,
Steve
WagsterMagic
View Profile
Special user
Myrtle Beach, SC
639 Posts

Profile of WagsterMagic
I wouldn't. I feel that if you do this you are basically opening people to look at other friends who might be magicians also. You could lose a job through that. I saw your post about losing job thanks to teacher. If you don't want this to happen again make your own website and preview yourself.

Just a thought.

Best
Brandon
The Wagsters: World Class Magic & Illusion
www.wagstermagic.com
TroyRoark
View Profile
Loyal user
Springfield IL
282 Posts

Profile of TroyRoark
Lots of business people have myspace pages. I would get rid of everything that is not business related. Music interest, watching movies, etc. Keep it pro and it could be a real asset.

If you're not willing to make those kinds of changes, I wouldn't put it on my cards.
Magic_Steve
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1476 Posts

Profile of Magic_Steve
I just got rid of all my interests and actually, I do think it does look more professional. Thanks Troy.

Brandon, thanks for your advice as well. It truely is valued. But to be honest, there aren't any local magicians on my friends list. And besides, if they're (the clients) on my page, it's because they liked what they saw, and they want to hire ME. Smile
Right??

Thanks EVERYONE!!!!
Steve
Moth
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of Moth
Sorry - a P.S. -

"Experiance the magic of..." - check your spelling on experience.

Looks great, though!

Personally, I think these things can read a little better in the first person - but that's just my taste, nothing more.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20661 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Ok here we show my ignorance.

What can you do with myspace that can't be done with a regular web page?

IF they have seen you and want to hire you, how about just a web page? I am not sure the advantage of Myspace.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Magic_Steve
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1476 Posts

Profile of Magic_Steve
Quote:
On 2007-05-03 22:31, Dannydoyle wrote:
Ok here we show my ignorance.

This is EXTREMELY rare, huh Danny??? LOL Just kidding... Smile

But Danny,

Thanks for chiming in again man. To be honest, I actually have no clue how to set up a website and all the jazz that goes with it. I'm not as computer savvy as you might think either! Smile

Myspace is also extremely popular. It seems everyone (even adults) have one, or atleast know what it is. Not to mention easy to update and maintain.

I thought about a freewebs account, but there is just too much advertising on that (more than myspace) and popup hell. Smile

Do you think I should just get rid of the the site off my business cards altogether? I was going to just put it on the bottom though (the one I sent you earlier via email).

I also just want ot hear from EVERYONE on this topic. Thanks for all the opinions and adivce!

Steve
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1851 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
I totally agree with Danny.

MySpace is fine for networking between people with similar interests. Many comedians and bands use it as an outlet for their fans to show their support. Many magicians (including myself) have a page. But again, it is purely a social form of expression.

It should not be used as a sales tool.
TroyRoark
View Profile
Loyal user
Springfield IL
282 Posts

Profile of TroyRoark
I don't agree...

I'm a Realtor, and there are a lot of Realtors that I know that get business from their myspace page. There's no reason you can't set up your page to attract clients.

The world belongs to the youth, my friends. In the coming years, these people will be the decision makers. Kudos to Steve for being on the leading edge of marketing. You're a trailblazer! I look forward to your first book entitled, "Hey old guys! Open Your Eyes!!" Smile

BTW, Steve... If I mentioned this before, excuse me. I graduated from a high school with about 200 kids total. One of those kids was David Cox, who is now doing magic on a cruise ship that does the Alaska tours, AND he is the "tour guide" guy on the Red Robin National ads! You can check out all the ads on the Red Robin web page. My lame attempt at a name drop.
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Things that you can do with myspace that you can't do with a regular webpage-
There are several.
I can bulletin about a public show, and have it hit a lot of people very quickly. I can also send out invites to a show to a targeted area.
I can find gigs and venues that might be interested in using my show.
Venues, bands and private parties can find information about my show without leaving a site that they are comfortable using.
Fans can keep track of where I am performing.
It is a good stopgap measure until you have a good, up and running website.

Should it be your primary marketing tool? No. Can it suppliment what you are already doing? Yes.
I see no harm in putting a myspace account on a card, but have your website information on there as well.
Right now, my website is under construction, so myspace is all I a have. With it I have booked every weekend solid from this weekend on out through the end of June, a couple of dates in July, allmost all of August, Two weekends in September and 5 individual shows in October.
The shows range from Ren Faires to Music festivals to private parties.
Note- I don't do kids shows. Pretty sure this is the wrong demographic to hit for kids shows. For what I do however, it seems to work fairly well.
Just my thoughts,
Gwyd
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20661 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The world belongs to who?

Funny but everything you say you can do with a myspace account, you can do with regular web work. Sorry.

See it falls into the catagory of "how it looks to the customer" for me.

Much like free webs which someone mentioned. Why do it? It is not that expensive to use an actual web page to me. Myspace to keep track of a certain demographic maybe.

Yea the world belongs to the youth huh? Funny how much less money youth has isn't it? If you want to reach money you have to use devices to contact them THEY are familiar with. Yep kids are used to being on myspace. I am not certain that many executives with companies are.

It is just who you want to try to reach.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Kipp Sherry
View Profile
Elite user
Boise, ID
473 Posts

Profile of Kipp Sherry
Steve,

I have an idea for you to set up your own professional looking web site, for free, and it is as easy to set up as MySpace.

The only catch, you have to be a member of the International Brotherhood of Magicians, which is not a bad idea anyway. Each member is given a free web site. You can see what others have done at: http://www.magician.org/member.

Your association with the I.B.M. will make you look a lot more professional. And you'll get The Linking Ring magazine every month that will show you new effects you can master and add to you act. So join the I.B.M. then set up your free web space and advertise that site.

Now you also have a choice. You can link to your MySpace from the IBM site, and/or the other way around.

Until we appear again,
Kipp Sherry
What is Kings Fool?
The only business card you'll ever need!
http://www.kippsherrymagic.info
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Quote:
On 2007-05-04 13:53, Dannydoyle wrote:

Very true. The shows I have used Myspace to promote are aimed at the 18-35 crowd, the club scene. For that it works well. Not the corperate work. When our actual site goes up, it will be targeted at a different audience.
The audience that has actual money to spend.
Gwyd
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20661 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Everyone needs to look at the last sentence of your post.

I don't care HoW many people you reach, if they have no money to spend, of what use are they to you?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
MichaelKent
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of MichaelKent
Quote:
On 2007-05-04 13:53, Dannydoyle wrote:
The world belongs to who?

Funny but everything you say you can do with a myspace account, you can do with regular web work. Sorry.

See it falls into the catagory of "how it looks to the customer" for me.

Much like free webs which someone mentioned. Why do it? It is not that expensive to use an actual web page to me. Myspace to keep track of a certain demographic maybe.

Yea the world belongs to the youth huh? Funny how much less money youth has isn't it? If you want to reach money you have to use devices to contact them THEY are familiar with. Yep kids are used to being on myspace. I am not certain that many executives with companies are.

Danny, this is spot on. If you're trying to reach 15-25 year olds, then a myspace is a powerful marketing tool. In my opinion, it's a necessary supplement to your own web site if you have a use for marketing for these people. If I were only performing corporate shows, myspace wouldn't be that important to me. I might have one (what does it hurt?) but I wouldn't use it for marketing - just for added web presence. Note that even in the corporate world, employers are using myspace to feel out potential hires - what makes anyone think a potential employer wouldn't use it to do the same for their entertainment?

Here's an added advantage to myspace. Almost all the pages on myspace look the same. If I want to watch a video, I know where to find it. If I want to know someone's influences, I know where to look. On a unique, individual web site, the user has to learn where to go from scratch. You can avoid this by improving usability on your site and by considering standard web site conventions and standards. http://www.w3.org/

P.S. regarding myspace users not having money to spend, we've done a substantial amount of business booking shows in the last couple years on myspace. depends on what you're selling.
Magic_Steve
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1476 Posts

Profile of Magic_Steve
So...should I just put my cell # and email address on my business card then?

Maybe the myspace thing might look to tacky?

Thanks for all the advice everyone!
Steve
Jay Austin
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of Jay Austin
Stay away from the yahoo, gmail, aol, etc. email accounts. Register a domain name and have a mail server hosted so that you have your own personal email address such as you@magicalyou.com or something similar. That looks much more professional. Just stay away from some of the big hosting sites such as godaddy. You actually do not own the domain name and can not transfer it to another hosting service with many of them. Read the fine print.
Jay Austin

http://austin-computer-solutions.com/
Hire a tech, not a geek.
Magic_Steve
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1476 Posts

Profile of Magic_Steve
I use gmail at the moment. And I do think it seems more professional than Yahoo, aol, etc.

Best,
Steve

simmonsmagic@gmail.com

EDIT: Cards are orders. 500 business cards on the way, Danny already saw them and he thinks they look good too. Smile

I put my cell #, and my gmail account (above). All done. Thanks everyone! For my next order though, I start working on a site. Smile

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Myspace on business cards?! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL