The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Microphones (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Christian Illusionist
View Profile
Special user
Ohio (currently located in Missouri)
503 Posts

Profile of Christian Illusionist
Here's a couple questions...

E6 Countryman vs. E6i?

E6, or E6i vs. DPA?

Where are the best places to buy both?

I recently saw David Copperfield perform. If he was wearing a headset of a clip on, I did not know it at all as it was completely hidden the entire performance. Does anyone know what he's using?
We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1830 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
DPA
From them directly at http://www.dpamicrophones.com/

Kevin
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Check out this Link.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......1&27

It's clear the E6i is more durable than the E6, and the DPA is better than both from what I read here on the Café.

There is about a $200 greater price for the DPA.
Dennis Michael
Christian Illusionist
View Profile
Special user
503 Posts

Thank you for the link. I had read that topic, but it didn't adress what I wanted clearly.

The DPA seems a lot more visible than the E6 series. Is it?
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
1830 Posts

The size difference between the two is very small, with the DPA being slightly larger.
Living Illusions

Kevin Ridgeway &

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
Christian Illusionist
View Profile
Special user
503 Posts

Is there a difference in sound between the DPA and the E6 or E6i?

I mean, I know that the DPA is supposedly more resistant to damage, but is that it?

Are they both the same as far as sound quality goes?
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
1830 Posts

The DPA is a superior mic. Dpa has some of the best mics for various applications. Field noise at a football game or racetrack, vocals, wind instruments, brass, drums, etc. Just a simple look at the dimensional characteristics will show the difference. The element itself is superior. In our real world experience, almost of the sound guys we have worked with have commented on the sound of our DPA over the E6.

Is the E6 enough mic for you?...most likely yes. Another great feature of the DPA, as mentioned numerous times on this forum, is its ability to handle moisture. That alone would sway me.

Hope that help.
Kevin
Living Illusions

Kevin Ridgeway &

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
GWSchott
View Profile
Veteran user
Southeastern Michigan
361 Posts

Profile of GWSchott
I don't think there's much of a difference in sound quality between the E6 and E6i. From what I understand the E6i is best suited for situations where more than one person will be using the same microphone because it's VERY easy to re-shape and re-contour. Supposedly the E6 is a bit more rigid. I just ordered the E6i through Joe Lefler (who is absolutely fantastic to do business with) but had to send it back to the factory because when it arrived I realized I had ordered too light of a color. Side note to anyone thinking of buying one of the Countryman's....There are four different colors to choose from ranging from light to dark. DO NOT GO TOO LIGHT because it will end up looking like you have a scar running across the side of your face. When in doubt, go with the darker shade. I originally chose Light Beige and unless you're extremely fair complected it's just way too light.
Yours In Magic,
Gordon
Doug Arden
View Profile
Special user
886 Posts

Profile of Doug Arden
There is no difference in sound quality between the E6 and E6i as they are exactly the same mic. The E6i as GWShcott pointed out, has a much more flexible ear piece.
I used an E6 for several years and the sound quality was excellent.

I recently purchased a DPA because I wanted a backup mic. The E6 is now my backup. The sound quality of the DPA is exceptional. It is more expensive but well worth it in my opinion.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Question for DPA users...Do you use this microphone for more than small magic show venues?

If you are a musician, and sing, then you are using it for duel purposes and the cost is justifieable. If you are a motivational speaker and command a lot of money, that too is justifiable. It just may be a bit too much for a Birthday Party or part-time magicians. What's your thoughts?
Dennis Michael
Doug Arden
View Profile
Special user
886 Posts

Profile of Doug Arden
I'm a DPA user and a full-timer so for me, the price was easily justifiable.

I've seen more than a few magicians with inferior equipment and the audiences straining to hear them. With the spoken word such an integral part of most magic shows, I think a good mic, and of course sound system, is a no brainer.

Everyone's financial situation is different but I think the bottom line is, get the best mic you can afford. You won't regret it.
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
The DPA microphone has a headband which prevents it from moving. The Countryman mics have an ear piece and if you move a lot during the show then your in trouble.

Also if you don't take extra care of the Countryman microphone and you adjust it wrong, they will break. Their warranty won't cover them, also their customer service magicially disappeared.

Personally I rather pay an extra $200.00 for a microphone with great customer service (they sent me a replacement microphone with new warranty), better sound, moisture resistant (sweat), and it stays in place and I could adjust it and it won't break.

The Countryman microphones see a lot of POSTS since some members of the MagicCafe and magicians sell them and they don't sell DPA mics.

Think before you buy..

G0THIKE
Michael Taggert
View Profile
Special user
Fredericksburg Virginia
653 Posts

Profile of Michael Taggert
I Made the mistake of buying AT mics my first go round (the salesman had me talked into them) at about $120 per mic that wasn't a lot of money difference between them and mics that might have worked. for just voice in a small venue I don't have the need for some of the higher priced mikes but the DPA and The countryman are well worth it for my dollar. think of it this way extra money for a high quality mic equalls better results in the long term. thus lees investment in the long run. MY point spend the money buy good and you'll end up saving in the long run. don't debate it just do it. if you are a pro you should have pro equipment.
mike
Believe you then that I do strange things
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Do you have a suggestion for a headset mike for someone who seldom performs, but would be willing to pay a reasonable price to get high-quality equipment?
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Quote:
Michael Taggert wrote: "I Made the mistake of buying AT mics my first go round..."

Is this the Audio Technia mic which I just bought? I know this one has one continous cord that if it should break, I'm in trouble. If this is the mic you are talking about please let me know your issues with this mic so I can prevent future problems. (Eventually, I will get a DPA.)
Dennis Michael
Christian Illusionist
View Profile
Special user
503 Posts

Nobody knows what Copperfield is using for a mic, do you?

I know it's probably way out of most of our price range, but it would still be cool to know.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13401 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I've had the AT mic for a few years now with no problems. I always put it back in its case right after I'm done using it. I've not had a problem but I have no idea how it compares to the Countryman or the DPA.

I'm pretty sure my next mic will be a DPA. the headband is a great idea.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Christian Illusionist
View Profile
Special user
503 Posts

Has anyone ever looked into a type of bone conduction mic or throat mic?
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Does anyone have an answer to my question from the other day?

Quote:
On 2007-05-06 21:47, amosmc wrote:
Do you have a suggestion for a headset mike for someone who seldom performs, but would be willing to pay a reasonable price to get high-quality equipment?
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Bone mic??? It really can't get quality voice from that.

High Quality equipment cost money. Hope for a sale on a Countryman or DPA, otherwise, use medium quality for the few times that you do work. Keep looking, you never know what you will find.
Dennis Michael
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Microphones (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL