The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » No Camera Tricks (3 DVD Set) by Richard Osterlind (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
There are several used ones already out there for sale. I wonder why?
Cards never lie
daghank
View Profile
Loyal user
290 Posts

Profile of daghank
Probably people just made a copy for theirselves and selling the original ones.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17442 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Doesn't that mean that they have no intention of performing them? It's unethical to perform his routines without his DVD...Right?
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
I think so and becouse of that I have devised a way to put an end to that kind of low life BS with my next DVD.

J ack

H.o.A-X

Click here to view attached image.
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Great Jim.

I would suggest that performers who would like to support the Art and creator's... only purchase DVD's that are still sealed in their cellophane.

This set especially...was a great value to begin with...so why would a serious and ethical performer purchase a second hand set?...that MAY have been copied[by the owner] and resold.
Just to save a few bucks?

So you can get a new set for $100,and a second hand set for $80.If that $20 bucks is that important..I feel sorry for you.
When you see a set come up for sale ask if it is still sealed.[There is a set up right now where the owner say's he got one as gift...fine...it should be sealed then]

Do you believe in Karma?

Rich
Hogle
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
133 Posts

Profile of Hogle
Amen!
Brian Turntime
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of Brian Turntime
These DVDs are as awesome as all of Richard's other work. He's just unbelievable, how much value he puts onto each video...

Really, for most if you own his MM 7 volume set, this (and Tarbell) you can stop buying other stuff. You won't get enough time in your life to perform it all.
------

Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died. - Steven Wright
iSawThat
View Profile
Regular user
The Ivory Tower
188 Posts

Profile of iSawThat
Hmm, the latest DVD set was entertaining to watch, mostly for the premise, and for watching Richard in action again (i love watching performers do their stuff well!). I wasn't overwhelmed by the effects, even though they were generally sound and stronger than a lot of material out there already.

I guess my main source of discontent (if you can even call it that) was the outstanding quality of the Mind Mysteries series, in particular Vol 1. The multiple levels of subtlety and timing and precision that Richard exhibited in the items from his main show are truly that of a master who has honed his creations to perfection. I savoured learning all these, and applying them to what I do. The effects in this series just didn't have the same depth of performing experience that I was hoping for, somewhat similar to that of the ETMMM series - good quality stuff, but slightly rough around the edges still.

While the effects in No Camera Tricks are quite clever and definitely performable, some don't quite live up to the tag of TV magic. Maybe we've been spoilt by the genius of derren brown and creative editing of criss angel, but effects like stenoESP, while possibly playing big in a stand-up or perhaps even impromptu situation, kinda came across convoluted and 'fishy' during the demonstration. Clearly Mindreading is also clearly inferior to Osterlind's original ThoughtScan, because of the suspicious holding of the envelopes while doing the readings: the Invisible Persuader Principle (to quote another Richard, Mr Busch) that Osterlind uses is not strong enough to allay the suspicions caused by holding the envelopes so close to a clear clipboard (hope this is not too much exposure!). I was also slightly miffed that several of the effects shown and taught had to be purchased separately - it's just that I'm a bit of a puritan, and would like the purchase of my DVD to enable me to perform most of the effects within using the stuff I've already got at home. Of course, it IS clearly stated that these are marketed effects, so I went in with my eyes open. I also never really liked What's My Sign, and was a bit disappointed that the method was not better hidden with Osterlind's updated subtlety. Possibly I'm just thinking like a magician, and it somehow spews into my performances as well - I find it hard to sell the effect cos I don't believe in it.

That being said, this is not a bad offering from one of the most generous, ingenious and affable minds in our field today. Pegasus Page should not have been released on DVD, hopefully no one will take the little trouble to make up the gimmick so that those who perform it can continue to do so in exclusivity. Wonderful new methods for destroying cutlery are explained. Digital Feedback with a store-bought calculator was awesome to watch, and I love his presentational touch that takes it above a simple mathematical prediction trick (it's not possible with every calculator under the sun, but it's reasonably accessible enough for it to appear impromptu when the chance arises). And I loved watching the short clips of him performing to live audiences outside L&L, pure gold. The hypnosis DVD IMHO was also worth the price of admission.

Bottom Line: This is a must for Osterlind fans, and for those who want to see a good quality, recorded stage hypnosis show. Unfortunately, for those who have not seen Osterlind in action before, it'll probably be better to start with the Mind Mysteries series. Vol 1 is packed with good stuff, and tips hard-earned from years of performing for real people. Get the companion ebooks too if you can afford them.
mindhunter
View Profile
Inner circle
Upstate NY
2071 Posts

Profile of mindhunter
Again, though, ISawThat, as MANY have pointed out in reviews of countless books, notes, and DVDs (mediums where more than one effect is explained) if a performer gets just ONE effect out of the entire collection then there should be no complaints. This is certainly no exception, and I can see most of us getting MUCH more than that.

As you said, Pegasus Page is a show-stopping effect, as are several others on the DVDs that are easily strong enough to justify the purchase price of the entire set. If you will USE them...

Bryn
"The Safwan Papers" eBook: $30
Please read the many great reviews here at the Cafe:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=253272&forum=15

"THE LOGAR SCROLLS" eBook is also now available ($30)
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=464100&forum=303&70

SPECIAL: "LOGAR" & "SAFWAN PAPERS" Combo Deal: $50

Thanks,
Bryn
cavscout19@hotmail.com (also my PayPal for purchases)
Piers
View Profile
Inner circle
A Limited Edition of
1479 Posts

Profile of Piers
Excellent DVD's.
There is something for everyone, but what I really like is the way the effects can be suited to so many styles of performing. And the bonus disk, is a REAL bonus.
Off to buy some putty.

Piers.
Smile

www.justgiving.com/piers-cancer-fund

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-2

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-3

Finished my 4 months of Chemotherapy in 2009. 3 monthly checks since... and into 2016!

As seen on the QE2 and QM2.

Author of Salem's Cornucopia - SUC Book
inidyls
View Profile
Veteran user
NYC
315 Posts

Profile of inidyls
Why is it you can only get the bonus disc through l&l or Richard himself? Doesn't this hurt the brick and mortar magic shops? Why would someone want to buy the dvds if they can't get the bonus disc?
iSawThat
View Profile
Regular user
The Ivory Tower
188 Posts

Profile of iSawThat
Mindhunter, while I do believe that one good routine might a DVD make, it also means that the material might have been condensed further. I don't have much to gripe about this set, but Osterlind IMHO is a victim of his own success with his Mind Mysteries set. The nuances of timing and psychological subtleties used in his stand-up routine that he generously shares in most of Vol 1 is a great example of what an instructional DVD should be like, if only everyone else thought as hard and were as willing to share.

I'm not saying this set shouldn't be bought, I'm just saying that for someone new to his work, Mind Mysteries would be a far superior starting place, and you literally could make a living with that set alone.

>Piers, that effect actually reminds me almost entirely of a routine by Basil Horwitz, but it could well be possible that both of them (and others) came up with such a use independently.
mindhunter
View Profile
Inner circle
Upstate NY
2071 Posts

Profile of mindhunter
Yes, it would be hard to actually TOP Mind Mysteries, wouldn't it!?

(I think this is right up there in many aspects, though!)

Quote:
On 2007-05-28 02:09, Piers wrote:
Excellent DVD's.
And the bonus disk, is a REAL bonus.
Off to buy some putty.

Piers.

.....Isn't that SO cool...

Bryn

Bryn

Thanks,
Bryn
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2439 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
Re: Disappointment that this set isn't the same as Mind Myskeries...

I'm purchasing a set of Osterlind DVDs for a friend in mentalism. Of all the DVD sets I could have chosen, I chose this set. NOT because it's superior to Mind Myskeries (Whether it is or not is moot.) but because this offers a variety, and ways of thinking that might be new to this friend. Yes, MM is a hard act to follow -- and I wouldn't envy Richard & Jim such a task! But this succeeds on several different levels, and shows this stuff working outside the studio. These reasons made this set the obvious choice for someone's first Osterlind DVDs. (Besides, where else would one get to see that marvelous hypnosis show?!)

*jeep!
--Granpa Chet
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf
mindhunter
View Profile
Inner circle
Upstate NY
2071 Posts

Profile of mindhunter
Well said, Chet!

Bryn

Thanks,
Bryn
Hypnotic Winter
View Profile
Special user
Ireland
720 Posts

Profile of Hypnotic Winter
The way I see it, Mind mysteries, ETMM, and no camera tricks are different sets, simple as that.All are fantastic.
Each set is stand alone in my mind.

No camera tricks is top notch in performance and effects, how ever it shows some never before seen tecneques, and also shows how some times a very difficult to learn skill that no one else might be bothered to learn can put you on top and make you a real mystery maker.
I will say one thing, if you are intent on learning the material such as I am, it could keep you going for a few weeks, in fact Richard practically shows you how to devise your own effect from putting different pieces of together, I really love how flexable he is.

H.W
When your only reality is an illusion, then illusion is reality.
espmagic
View Profile
Special user
853 Posts

Profile of espmagic
I only learned about the new discs thru the L&L catalogue, so I immediately bought them. I thought I *was* supporting Richard thru L&L! When I found out about the booklet I was disappointed, because the zodiac effect is a great opener, and a great effect! So how do I *now* get a copy of the booklet? Richard's site says that it will only be sold if the DVD set is purchased thru his site, and there is no mention of it thru L&L...

Lee
inidyls
View Profile
Veteran user
NYC
315 Posts

Profile of inidyls
Quote:
On 2007-06-04 23:15, espmagic wrote:
I only learned about the new discs thru the L&L catalogue, so I immediately bought them. I thought I *was* supporting Richard thru L&L! When I found out about the booklet I was disappointed, because the zodiac effect is a great opener, and a great effect! So how do I *now* get a copy of the booklet? Richard's site says that it will only be sold if the DVD set is purchased thru his site, and there is no mention of it thru L&L...

Lee

This is my problem , were told always to support our local magic shop. but who would buy through them if you can get more from the supplier?
It's like why go to a car dealer when you can go to the manufacturer and get it cheaper.
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1331 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
I love the metal bendng on this set. Even more convincing than his previous dvds.
espmagic
View Profile
Special user
853 Posts

Profile of espmagic
I guess we need to find someone who will copy the book for us, and then send a few bucks to Richard directly for the invasion of his copyright! <grin>

Lee
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » No Camera Tricks (3 DVD Set) by Richard Osterlind (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL