The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » No Camera Tricks (3 DVD Set) by Richard Osterlind (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5691 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Even as a joke there is a problem with this. When a copyright holder knowingly fails to pursue his copyrights, those same rights may become null and void. Not a pretty picture.
Jim Sisti
View Profile
V.I.P.
Connecticut
456 Posts

Profile of Jim Sisti
Quote:
On 2007-06-05 19:39, espmagic wrote:
I guess we need to find someone who will copy the book for us, and then send a few bucks to Richard directly for the invasion of his copyright!

If anyone needs a photocopy of The Pendulum Book, The Numerology Book or The Rune-Stone Book, let me know.
jaymeswhite
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of jaymeswhite
When I saw this I was blown away by the effects and it appears when liek hes explaining the effects saying how you don't need camera tricks hes refering to some1 most people should know who
mindhunter
View Profile
Inner circle
Upstate NY
2071 Posts

Profile of mindhunter
Quote:
On 2007-06-06 15:46, Jim Sisti wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-06-05 19:39, espmagic wrote:
I guess we need to find someone who will copy the book for us, and then send a few bucks to Richard directly for the invasion of his copyright!

If anyone needs a photocopy of The Pendulum Book, The Numerology Book or The Rune-Stone Book, let me know.

LOL!
"The Safwan Papers" eBook: $30
Please read the many great reviews here at the Cafe:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=253272&forum=15

"THE LOGAR SCROLLS" eBook is also now available ($30)
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=464100&forum=303&70

SPECIAL: "LOGAR" & "SAFWAN PAPERS" Combo Deal: $50

Thanks,
Bryn
cavscout19@hotmail.com (also my PayPal for purchases)
espmagic
View Profile
Special user
849 Posts

Profile of espmagic
I have been advised that a request has been made to remove my post about the copyright issue - I had no idea that a joke would be taken as anything other than a joke, but if this is the case, then please either ignore the post or have it removed.

I do not support theft, nor do I want anyone to think that I would condone copyright infringement in any way. I apologize if this was the message that was taken from my post, and I hope no one feels that it was anything other than a smart-*ss comment.

Lee
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2439 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
Maybe you’re tired of me praising Richard Osterlind. But he’s left me no choice. His work is that good, and he really is that nice of a guy. Let me try, really try, to find fault with No Camera Tricks, his most recent DVD set.

(Do I have to? The faults I find are the physical DVDs themselves, not the material recorded. Whine, whine, whine!)

Well, the sound levels suck mop water through a straw. They fluctuate, mostly towards the unhearable, especially during the explanations sections.

Then there are the times the cameraman seemed to have no idea what was going on. Richard was bending spoons right under someone’s nose, and the camera guy went for a long shot so we couldn’t see a thing. Luckily, Mr Camera Guy caught up with the program in time to see an impossible (Let me impress that: an I*M*P*O*S*S*I*B*L*E) moment of weirdness when a spoon visibly bends in the hands of a spectator.

Can’t say I’m happy about the packaging. No DVD stays in its holder; not one. If these arrive in the mail without scratches, then thank whoever packed them so well.

Speaking of the packaging, whose idea was it to place Richard’s photo on the label of DVD #2 – quite in the place it is? That’s gotta hurt!

And the bonus DVD won’t play on my laptop. What’s up with that?

Finally, I’m not sure that I like the idea that one has to buy the entire set instead of having the choice of purchasing just one disk at a time. Sure I’ll save money, but what about someone who may be new to this Osterlind fellow and might just want to check out his work? Unless they trust my reviews implicitly – if they’ve even read ‘em – they may wonder if Richard is any good.

None of the above has anything to do with the performer (Richard) or his team. But I am shocked because this isn’t like L&L at all.

We start out with a new opening for L&L – in a way, it reminds me of a very old Tonight Show opening; in another, a 1983 or 1984 HBO opening. (It was actually based on the latter, but I still see the old Tonight Show opening. Jack Parr version, I think.) It’s a skyline of a city at night, then we zoom through the city and into a window of one of the taller buildings.

Therein, we find what appears to be the Jim Sisti Show. We’ve arrived too late for Jim’s opening monologue, and we segue right into the interview with his guest. His guest, Richard Osterlind, agrees to do a little something for the audience. This is very good for those of us who bought the DVDs, else we’d have four DVDs of Jim & Richard just sitting there looking at each other.

(By the way, I’d really like to see the missing portions of the Jim Sisti Show: monologue, bantering with the band – the band, for that matter. I hope L&L is listening!)

I sit back and relax. The mood on the set is relaxed too; we’ll discover the pacing is relaxed also. Little do we realize this is to put us and the studio audience totally off guard. When the hits come, they’ll come hard.

Six audience members stand. In about as many minutes, Richard knows and tells the zodiac sign of each person. He says this was based on the effect of a Bob Farmer routine, but done in a new and more direct way. It certainly looks direct, and it catches the audience as if by surprise. They’re clearly startled. I don’t see how the Farmer effect could have been any stronger – from what I gather, it didn’t include finding the signs of a multiplicity of people.

To jostle them more completely out of the dullness of everyday life, he then tells one of those people his exact birthday. (The spectator’s birthday, not Richard’s. That wouldn’t be very startling!) And then – oh, rats!

Rats! Rats! Rats! (Read that in your best Charlie Brown voice.)

He performs “Steno ESP” – How I wish he’d kept this secret!! (OK, he can teach ME, but not anyone else.) He very cleanly and very clearly reads the thoughts of three people – no forces, no misses, and everything is clearly shown in cold print so no one can wiggle out of this. I made some good money every time I performed this, and now Richard makes it clearer, cleaner, and more impossible than ever. Unless they’ve seen this DVD, been the camera person at L&L’s explanation room, or happen to be Richard Osterlind (or Jim Sisti), you’ll stupefy all but the most cynical of magicians, mentalists, and civilians with Steno ESP. Even those who think they know how this might be done, discover they’re wrong and the whole thing is impossible. It’s a whole new handling, a whole new ending, and it’s crazy how bold and to-the-point it is.

(Richard, is there any means of mass hypnosis to make everyone (else) who bought this DVD, completely forget how to do Steno ESP?)

OK, OK. We’ll go on.

On to metal bending. Spoons, to be exact. Well, you’ve seen Richard bend spoons on other DVDs, so there’s nothing to see here. Move along. Never mind that the spoons bend in the spectator’s hands now – visibly bend. It looks so good on camera, that it triggers a Meniere’s Disease vertigo attack in my inner ears. I actually see a spoon drip. Move along, move along. Just let Granpa Chet learn these methods and move along.

Oh, this has been tagged with the name of “Liquid Metal,” so do not confuse it with Morgan Strebler’s DVD of the same name. Not the same routine. This is easier, even more visual, and made me dizzy. Move along.

Entertainingly enough, there are “commercial breaks” in these videos, in which we see Richard performing in a restaurant, a drug store (Tahoe City Pharmacy – sounds too high-falutin’ for this old country boy.), and a docking area. Right about this point in the DVDs, Richard finds himself in the aforementioned drug store. Then – this really is impromptu – a customer pulls a calculator off the wall display. It’s opened, it’s completely ungimmicked, and it’s passed to several different people. Each person either adds a 2-digit number, or multiplies the running total by something which only that person knows, and then the last person adds one more number – and hits the equal sign.

Richard not only proves he knew the total beforehand, but shows them that the total – that specific number – is printed on a piece of clothing which has been in & out of the shot from the beginning.

Let me be very specific here: The calculator is actually not gimmicked. It actually is sealed in its original packaging. It has never been seen by Richard or Jim or anyone at L&L before. It was several calculators back on the rack. (She wanted the silver calculator – or was it the black?) The audience sees the calculator torn from its sealed plastic containment.

Remember “Digital Feedback” from Mind Mysteries or from Osterlind Mysteries? Imagine the effect, but absolutely impromptu.

The other commercial breaks? I'll mention ONE. Let me just say two words to send chills down the spine of anyone who watched the bonus scenes in Mind Mysteries: PENNY BEND.

And Disk #1 ends with an effect credited to Art Emerson, though the presentation seems purely Osterlind to me. A civilian picks out a page from a random book. Meantime, we’ve seen two scrapbook pressboards (Cardboard? Plastic?) handled around then placed face-to-face and held shut by another person.

Now when I say a civilian picks out a page, I do not mean they TEAR OUT the page. And yet that’s exactly what happens in less than a moment. The same civilian looks in the book, and the page is definitely torn out. And, yep, it’s inside the two scrapbook pressboards. It fits the torn portion in the book – it is definitely the missing page which the same person saw just a few minutes previously.

There’s no Janelle present. Janelle was an audience member on earlier Osterlind DVDs, and on many other L&L videos. There were complaints that Janelle was too emotive, that no one could be that astounded.

Well, the folks on this video looked pretty astounded to me. And right behind the TV in this hotel room is a mirror. Yep – I look pretty astounded too.

The explanations segments are every bit as complete and concise as I’ve come to expect from an Osterlind video, even if I had to creep right up to the TV to hear anything. As a matter of fact, I’ve grown to take these sections too much for granted. Jim Sisti is such an integral part of these explanations, it seems as if he has precognition himself, knowing the very questions I’d be asking, the subtleties I would have otherwise missed. Perhaps he’s not as obliging for you. Well, he can’t read everyone’s minds... If there are any questions, any clarifications that he doesn’t cover for you – you must be pretty remarkable yourself, because these explanations are pretty exhaustive. You might write Jim and give him your background information, and maybe he’ll find it easier to read your mind next time.

If there IS a next time. Surely by now, Osterlind has run dry?

Evidently not too dry. We still have three disks and a booklet to cover. Maybe in a few days. I really need to watch them again. Not just to write the rest of this review. But because they’re actually more entertaining than anything else on TV these days!

Richard proves that powerful mentalism and strong magic need “No Camera Tricks.” If that bothers you, or if you think that’s too old school for you – then allow the rest of us to take advantage of this work. And we’ll fry your audiences with stuff that looks more impossible than TV camera effects.
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10571 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
I really liked Janelle - that is my one complaint regarding the DVD set - I was hoping she'd be a recurring character - she was great at reacting and cute too - you see, something not explictily taught but one can pick up watching DVDs of Osterlind is his audience selection and management - true, L&L likely hand picked a bunch of people- but at the same time - you can tell some were more reactive and cooperative and better on the eyes than others for using in the show Smile

Hmm... maybe there will be a spin off series - Janelle's Magic Jamboree
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
2439 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
It has been suggested that Janelle could make a small fortune by selling autographed DVDs in which she has appeared. Anyone want to mention this to her?

*jeep!
--Troublemaker Chet
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10571 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
I'm sure she keeps her contact info well hidden to prevent the barrage of magicniks that would bombard her with fan mail!
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
ted french
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus Ohio
1901 Posts

Profile of ted french
It's funny but chets critiques would make me not want to but this set more than saying that the material was bad. Fortuneatly I own this and love it but I agree with chets gripes the packaging, the shaky camera work during the intermission footage and the sound. I was a little let down with the production quality I mean when I first heard about the set I thought it was going to be about how to perform magic on tv but instead it looked like mind mysteries 3 with a late night talk show background. Did anyone get the that this is not stuff you would see on tv. Was this set made for the local magician performing on local tv or for the magician who gets their own special. I must say though that it's really really good and more entertaining than than the previous sets.
P3
practice practice perform.
bekralik
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1074 Posts

Profile of bekralik
The material was great. The TV Show Magic premise really wasn't different from the standard parlour setting; I think they were trying to make it informal, casual, and impromptu, but it seemed too forcefully contrived, it still came across as a formal show. Something just seemed awkward to me, like they were trying to play these TV host/guest roles but, to me, it just wasn't working. The cut segments succeeded in the spontaneous setting. The random picking a spectator by the host bit was unnecessary, it ended up being the same front-row people and just took up time with "hmmm"s and "let's see..."s. Just cut to the effect.

World's Greatest Magic by the World's Greatest Spectators, anyone? Janel volumes 1 - 3, or maybe a bloopers collection with David and the rest? They've got all the material, all they have to do is burn it to dvd, I'd be interested in buying.
adramindmagic
View Profile
Regular user
East St. Louis
106 Posts

Profile of adramindmagic
I was expecting a more tv magic feel. I was mistaken. I wanted to see a take on DVD of what real mentalism on tv should look like. It might help my own demo structure.

Unfortunately a lot of this stuff is just video'ed effects that Osterlind has previously released. Nothing as amazing as his first 3.
I love magic!
tmoca
View Profile
Inner circle
1113 Posts

Profile of tmoca
Quote:
On 2007-06-25 13:16, adramindmagic wrote:
I was expecting a more tv magic feel. I was mistaken. I wanted to see a take on DVD of what real mentalism on tv should look like. It might help my own demo structure.

Unfortunately a lot of this stuff is just video'ed effects that Osterlind has previously released. Nothing as amazing as his first 3.

Agreed. I thought I was the only one. Seems most people here liked these dvds, but not me. I was VERY disappointed.

Now, I don't want to turn this into a bashing post, (because if I gave my true feelings about the performance, it would sound that way), so I will just point out a few things I noticed or annoyances if you will.

I consider myself a seasoned pro and when I watch a DVD, read a book, whatever, I don't just watch for the material...I want to be entertained as well. When dropping that kind of money on a set of DVDs, I better be entertained while I learn....maybe I am way off base, but that's the way I feel. These were just flat out boring as hell and there is no excuse for these NOT to be entertaining. After all the topic of the DVDs is entertaining via the tele without camera tricks...yes?

I found it ironic that right in the beginning, that Richard mentions that there is no use of assistance and that he really doesn't even like to have stage hands helping out, yet Sisti ends up being just that throughout. Smile If one were a skeptic/laymen in the audience, what does that say?

As a Rubik's Cube fan, I thought I would get a kick out the cube effect. But again, I was let down by a lack luster performance. It not only sounded like Richard was in pain performing this effect, I was in pain watching it. I had to mute my sound system...

I did notice that Richard seemed to stop saying "Okay" as much, but this time I had to hear millions of "umms" and a flurry of indirect digs at Mr. Angel.

Also what's with asking the audience members "Is this fair?" BEFORE you do anything? Raises suspicion in my mind.

I think Richard is a great magician and that is what the performances looked like to me, over proven magic tricks.

Now before all I get a zillion PMs from all the Osterlind fanboys, let me just say that the material on the other hand is a different story. My hat goes off to Richard for bringing these effects as well as the countless other gems that he has shared with us via DVD.

So as you may be able to tell, I am not an Osterlind fan when it comes to his performing abilities, but do, GREATFULY appreciate what he brings to our art.
The GingerBread Man
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of The GingerBread Man
Well said Tmoca.

The GingerBread Man
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
2439 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
Quote:
On 2007-07-10 12:47, T.M.O.C.A. wrote:
I found it ironic that right in the beginning, that Richard mentions that there is no use of assistance and that he really doesn't even like to have stage hands helping out, yet Sisti ends up being just that throughout. Smile If one were a skeptic/laymen in the audience, what does that say?

There's no place on the DVDs where Richard says there's no use of assistance. And when you say Jim lends assistance, do you mean when he hands out paper and pen or when he holds up a sign?

Quote:
As a Rubik's Cube fan, I thought I would get a kick out the cube effect. But again, I was let down by a lack luster performance. It not only sounded like Richard was in pain performing this effect, I was in pain watching it. I had to mute my sound system...

Considering the sound level, I was surprised that anyone would have to lower their sound system. Again, what you didn't enjoy was appreciated by a lot of "lay" audiences to whom I've shown the videos. Evidently, it's only magicians and mentalists who don't get into this routine. Everyone else was on the edge of their seats, even knowing (because I told 'em) that he would get it right.

Quote:
I did notice that Richard seemed to stop saying "Okay" as much, but this time I had to hear millions of "umms" and a flurry of indirect digs at Mr. Angel.

Well, I've sat through a flurry of indirect (and direct) digs at Mr. Osterlind and at me, so I suppose it evens out.

Quote:
Now before all I get a zillion PMs from all the Osterlind fanboys,

Nice trick. By a preemptive strike, you've labelled anyone who disagrees with you as mere Osterlind fanboys instead of someone who enjoys something by which you were bored. (Do you also speak in a George Sanders voice?)

Quote:
So as you may be able to tell, I am not an Osterlind fan when it comes to his performing abilities, but do, GREATFULY appreciate what he brings to our art.

Tomato/tomahto. I also gratefully appreciate his contributions to mentalism and magic, and that's said with no caveats.

*jeep!
--Granpa Chet
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf
The GingerBread Man
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of The GingerBread Man
You are funny and transparent man Mr.Chet.

I could tell you were doing what you did with his name becouse you needed to protect your opinion.
(Tomato gosh I love that)

But it was a smart thing you did letting us know who follows the Osterlind.
Are you a represenative of his group?

Cheers,

Ginger
tmoca
View Profile
Inner circle
1113 Posts

Profile of tmoca
I knew my point would be missed....

It's funny, you always know when people start to take things too personally around here, because they have to refute, quote, spell check and argue every OPINION you make about something. How can you argue one's opinion? That always puzzles me.

Anyway, back to the discs.

I finally got around to watching the bonus disc. Now in the realm of hypnosis, I am a n00b, but even I would have sat half of those folks. There were some points in it that were funny and entertaining, but many of the "suggestions" just flopped and no one really did anything...not good.

Also I am not sure what Richard was trying to do by showing us a hypnosis show. Is this something he is starting to venture into? Maybe he's preparing us for his next project? Any one know?
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6900 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
I do not own the three disc set but I did receive the bonus disc from L&L for another purchase. It is fantastic! Okay, I skipped over the hypnosis show because I frankly don't have much interest in hypnosis. But the effects are all top notch!

As a performer, I like Richard's almost avuncular personality because it's so disarming. He's so low key and laid back, that it makes the mysteries he performs all the more powerful. Simply because you just don't expect this laid back, nice guy to be capable of such powerful stuff. Well, WE expect it. But from the lay person's POV, this approach is quite potent.
Xemm
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of Xemm
Anyone knows how to get in touch with Richard himself? I want to buy the dvd directly from him and maybe I can get all the bonuses and also his signature for my private collections.

Thanks,
tmoca
View Profile
Inner circle
1113 Posts

Profile of tmoca
Quote:
On 2007-07-12 10:01, Xemm wrote:
Anyone knows how to get in touch with Richard himself? I want to buy the dvd directly from him and maybe I can get all the bonuses and also his signature for my private collections.

Thanks,

Unless, I am mistaken, this is his direct site for product.

http://www.osterlindmysteries.com/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » No Camera Tricks (3 DVD Set) by Richard Osterlind (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.31 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL