The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Stage Curtains (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Christian Illusionist
View Profile
Special user
Ohio (currently located in Missouri)
503 Posts

Profile of Christian Illusionist
I'm looking for a light way to make a stage curtain type set up.

Possibly a pvc pipe arrangement or something of the like.

I'm not wanting information on backdrops, but on curtains (to open and close, before and after the show).

Any information would be very helpful.

Thank you
We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
This is a good question, and I too am looking for solutions.

Traveler Curtains
The conventional action of a Draw or Traveler Curtain is the drawing together of two curtain halves on two overlapping sections of track. The track guides the carriers, which are attached to the top edge of the curtain at about 1-foot intervals.

The draw line is fastened to the first or lead carrier which pushes or pulls the rest of the carriers to open or close the curtain. Sometimes a one-way traveler is needed, which means that instead of coming from opposite sides of the stage, the curtain is drawn on stage from one side on a single long track.

Typical Fabric Choices for a main stage drape or traveler include Cotton Velour, and Encore Velour. While an upstage drape may sewn unlined, a main stage drape will usually be lined to help with opacity and add to the life of the drape.

A couple of thoughts:
Dennis Michael
Christian Illusionist
View Profile
Special user
503 Posts

Great links!

Thanks for looking that up!
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1829 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Great links Dennis.

We carry a grand traveler for venues when we need it and they don't have it. It mounts under our downstage truss and is the two track method. It is 16' high and includes a 26' wide proscenium, legs and a teaser.

There is another way to do the same thing with only one track. One of the curtains has a pre-runner that extends is offset and overlaps the other curtain when they meet in the middle. Hopefully that description made sense. If not I can expand on it later.

One negative thing about carrying a curtain is you will either need to make sure and have a follow spot or other FOH lighting for when you are on the 'apron' or in front of the curtain or you will need an additional set of lifts & truss or chain hoists to fly the curtain.

Kevin
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
Michael Taggert
View Profile
Special user
Fredericksburg Virginia
653 Posts

Profile of Michael Taggert
I think if we had some more specific details of your requirements including budget we could get some better advice to you. Ther are answers that run the Gambit of cost and difficulty. Im sure we can help you out with a little more detail. Dennis, I Just performed MPL at Magiwhirl and at several school shows The new motor works perfectly.
also try Rose Brand I think this is the link http://www.rosebrand.com
Believe you then that I do strange things
Magicque
View Profile
Special user
673 Posts

Profile of Magicque
Dennis, you're very kind! You always give many details and help everyone here on the Café, thanks a lot for taking the time for it!
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Michael, I added your great link to the list above.
Dennis Michael
Christian Illusionist
View Profile
Special user
503 Posts

Here's a better page for sico inc's "Insta-Theatre".

http://www.sicoinc.com/it.php

Too bad it has to have a wall mount, if it could just be transported, it would be almost perfect.

Also, I contacted them and the "Insta-Theatre" runs between 40,000 and 70,000 dollars.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11801 Posts

Profile of John C
I have some more GOOD news on backdrops. I found a nice little stand. It's LIGHT, EASY TO SETUP (takes about 5 seconds!), already has a round plastic piece on the top to place a piece of PVC thru it. Use two of these stands, place a piece of PVC (any length) and place the PVC thru the curtain.

These are called SHARPS IV POLE. That's correct, it's an IV pole they use in the hospitals. They are cheap too. However, you may have to purchase a BOX of them. I received two from a nurse.

The name on the pole is: SHARPS Trip LesSystem
The IV Pitch-It Pole
Model # 30003

Nice for small tables as well. There are no knobs to twist to tighten the pole after the length has been achieved. Simply twist the pole itself and it tightens.

A very cheap, light, instant solution to a backdrop.

John Cesta
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
socalmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
267 Posts

Profile of socalmagic
I have a portable traveler curtain. I use a Besteel ADC Traveler track hung with sundy's from a 10" triangle truss. I have 11 foot truss lifts to raise the whole thing. My set-up is about 10 feet high by 22 feet wide. I keep it assembled and attached to the wall of my trailer. I attach the curtains with S hooks. It takes about 15 minutes to set-up. It is very heavy, but I typically have a 3 person crew, so it is not a problem.

I looked into using other types of non-theater curtain tracks, but finally decided there is no reason to re-invent the wheel. Theater travelers are made for heavier fabrics and smooth operation over long distances.

I do about half of my shows with the traveler (including lots of outdoor shows), and it has made my show so much easier and smoother. In regards to lighting, I use two lighting trees at the front of the stage between the audience and the stage. I have three lekos and 2 fresnels, 2 intelligent lights per a tree, which gives me plenty of light for a 22 x 20 foot stage. The best idea is to have a truss across the front, but I don't have any more room in my trailer.

I have a show tonight, and I will be using the traveler, so I will try to take a few pics.

Brock Edwards
socalmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
267 Posts

Profile of socalmagic
Hello,

I posted the pics of my traveler curtain. One thing I missed is that you requested a light traveler curtain. I'm not sure such a thing exists, but if you find one, then please let me know. Some weight can be a good thing, because it will keep your traveler from tipping over (especially in the event of outdoor shows). Let me know if you have any questions about the pics.

Good luck,
Brock Edwards

http://www.brockedwards.com/Sundy.jpg
http://www.brockedwards.com/TravelerTrack.jpg
http://www.brockedwards.com/TravelerTrack2.jpg
http://www.brockedwards.com/TravelerGroundPulley.jpg
http://www.brockedwards.com/TravelerOutdoosrstage.jpg
http://www.brockedwards.com/TravelerSRSetup.jpg
magicmarkdaniel
View Profile
Special user
Bolton, England UK
831 Posts

Profile of magicmarkdaniel
Great setup Brock. Is this all your own design or did you buy this ready made for the job? Unfortunately, we don't seem to have enough good weather over here to make buying a setup like that worthwhile!

Mark
Mark Daniel
adam christopher
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of adam christopher
Awesome rig, are you using the 11 or 15' towers? Also what are you using for a stage underneath?

Warmest Regards

Adam
socalmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
267 Posts

Profile of socalmagic
Mark, It is something that I assembled with the help of someone I met at an IBM convention several years ago (actually, they used his set-up for the stage competition). I used his info to order all the items. It cost about $3,500. I have since made several modifications that fit my needs. I use this for any facility that does not have a traveler, whether it is inside or out.

Adam, I use 11' lifts. The stage is a 3' high Bil-Jax. When I use the traveler with the stage, I put the stands on apple boxes to raise the height. I also hang the traveler track from the top of the truss.

I have posted another photo of how I have the truss and traveler attached to the side of my trailer.

http://www.brockedwards.com/TravelrTrailer-1.jpg

Brock Edwards
brycol24
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of brycol24
Hi Christian Illusionists:

I am also a Christian Illusionists here in Clearwater Beach Florida. I have made my own curtain out of PVC Pipe and it works great. It stands 8 feet tall and 10 feet wide. All I did was sew 2 bed sheets of my color choice together and put the poles through the top of the sheets where I made an opening. It works really good. The whole thing cost me about 30 dollars to make and you can't even tell that they are bed sheets. And you cannot see through it.

I have let my imagination go wild looking at this forum and got a lot of good idea to add to the current curtain I have. What is also good is you can make different colors to match your different themes really cheap.

If you would like more info PM me and I will send you pictures of how it was made.

God Bless
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Stage Curtains (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL