The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » What happened, was this... » » A story from a small-fry (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

pghdude80
View Profile
New user
Pittsburgh
72 Posts

Profile of pghdude80
I am, by almost any standard, a pre-schooler in the world of magic. Truth be told, I doubt seriously that I'll ever graduate from middle school. My books, gimmicks, dvds, coins, and card decks barely fill my small desk drawer.

I didn't get into magic to make money, or to go on the road with my act. I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with that (believe me I try to support working magicians as much as possible)...it's just not what I do.
My tricks are, for the most part, very old and very simple. I'm not good at sleight of hand, and I still have a hard time spotting it when I see it.

Normally I only perform tricks for my friends when they stop over on the weekend for a few drinks and movie. I like to watch their faces as I make something vanish, or their card appear in a place that they did not expect.
Yesterday was a rare day for me. I had just finished a very long day at work, and I thought about going to a local pub to relax. I don't know what gave me the itch, but I stopped off at my place to pick up a few tricks.

I'm a regular at this pub (those of you who are married with children are allowed to shed a solitary tear at this point), and the guys and gals at the pub know me well. What they didn't know was that magic was one of my hobbies. Low and behold, someone was playing the oft discussed David Blaine street magic DVD. "The stars must be in a favorable alignment," I thought, as I was, like many, sucked back into magic by learning some of his more basic (yet famous) tricks.

I sat on the bar stool stipping my beer, acting as casual as possible. After the DVD was over, an older gentlemen to my right by the name of Charlie elbowed me and said, "How about that guy, huh? I've read some books on the occult and I think he's tapped into the REAL THING!"

Could you ask for a better cue?

I tried my best to stay cool, although I was very eager (for the first time in my life) to perform. "He's something alright," I said as casually as possible, "but he probably uses a bunch of special effects and fancy Hollywood camera tricks to do that kind of stuff." This was all the setup I needed.

"He does NOT," Charlie replied confidently. "He can do those things anytime, anywhere...but he's the only one I've seen who can do it." Ok...I take it back...the setup is even better now.

"I can do it," I said softly. Charlie uttered an expletive that would make most grown men blush, but he was very interested.

To make a long story short (pause for hilarity) I did a number of tricks that our good friend Mr. Blaine performed. Charlie, and about twenty other patrons, waitresses, and bartenderes watched with wide eyes and hanging jaws. I don't need to tell most you folks (not that I would) how these tricks are performed, but I think I can say that my first serious performance went off without a hitch...despite the simplicity of many of the tricks.

And that, I think, is the handel. I've never performed for more than 3 people in my life, yet the absolute rush you get from performing is better than any drug manufactured by humans. More than that, I used good clean fun to make those decent folks happy for a little while. If magic can be used for anything better, I don't know what it is.

Friends, I have a feeling my "magic desk drawer" will be expanding soon. I just wanted to share this lovely experience with those of you who are, like me, new to magic so that you carry on and do your best to spread happiness with this truly wonderful craft. I also hope that anyone who has been working the crowds for some time may rediscover the innocence and purity of this age-old form of entertainment.

J
munkywrench
View Profile
Loyal user
Conway, SC
295 Posts

Profile of munkywrench
You my friend have tasted the nector of Astonishment. Go forth and spread thy knowledge. It is for the good of man.
Family Biz. https://www.facebook.com/dreamweaverconway/
Disciple of the Close-Up Kinda Guy PH.
Balloon Blast Video Show junkie.
Supporter of http://www.myrtlebeachmagician.com/
Retired Demo Dude
IBM #334 supporter
Sam Pearce
View Profile
Veteran user
Ontario, Canada
310 Posts

Profile of Sam Pearce
Very nice!
Keep the magic alive!

Sam Pearce
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Excellent!
It's very rare that a situation like this occurs.

While working on the home that I was eventually moving into I stopped at a local tavern.
When I entered I saw a lady doing the stunt where you have to turn over three glasses in a certain amout of turns so they're all mouth up. I sat down and she challenged me. I did it right off. The magic door opened.

While others weren't looking I rigged up a beer glass by sticking a napkin on the mouth (used Sambuca), peeling the excess and turning it mouth down on another napkin. I did the old trick where a coin is placed on the napkin vanished. After repeating a couple of times and getting some attention and laughs I followed with glass thru the bar.

I also had some copper centavos and did some spellbound and C/S things with the lady.

Here's the weird part.
Another fellow came over picked up the quarter and did a switch to a copper centavo.
We began to jam and everyone was laughing. When I asked his name he gave my name. What?? My real name is far from common and this just blew me away since nobody at the bar knew me.

A strange but fun night.

Now no matter where I go I try and be prepared for such situations thru common looking props or just a decent knowledge of impromptu magic.
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1851 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
Pghdude80:

Thanks for sharing your story with us!

I think that most of us who actively perform magic have an experience like yours, which encouraged us to proceed further. The exhiliration and "high" that you described is a special feeling that a performer never forgets, and generally spends the rest of his days trying to relive.

Chris
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1331 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
Great story. It resonantes with most of the experienced magi here I'm sure.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » What happened, was this... » » A story from a small-fry (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL