The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Straight Jacket Escape (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicbyswh
View Profile
Inner circle
North East Tennessee
1498 Posts

Profile of magicbyswh
Any one familiar with the Ronjo stright jacket escape? See it here http://www.ronjo.com/page/R/PROD/rnjo/70629602050
I am thinking about getting this any comments on how to get started in this type of escape?
Steve
Creator of Cereal Brainwave, Creator of the Tossed out Book
Joe Marotta
View Profile
Special user
Can You Believe I Have
944 Posts

Profile of Joe Marotta
Hi Steve,

I'm not sure I would recommend a straitjacket that says "One large size fits most adults". Personally, I would first recommend a jacket that is actually your size. You won't regret it. Jackets that are two sizes too big on you will look silly and fake. Jackets too small will never get buckled up properly.

Second, I would recommend purchasing an UN-gimmicked jacket. The audience can inspect the un-gimmicked one to their heart's content. And you will not have any fear of them discovering the gimmick. An un-gimmicked jacket is not to be feared.

There are quite a few books and videos available on escaping from an un-gimmicked jacket. John Novak's series and Jay Leslie's video will give you some great instructions on methods. They are available at most magic stores.

Of course, reading about the different methods is one thing. ACTUALLY being in the jacket and escaping from it is quite another. You really must be tied up in a jacket to understand how to prepare for each method and all the other nuances involved with successful escape. And there just isn't anything like that claustrophobic feeling you get when first being tied up in a straitjacket! Fun stuff!

I hope that helps somewhat, Steve.
Doc Allgood
View Profile
Regular user
Houston, TX
156 Posts

Profile of Doc Allgood
http://www.cannonsgreatescapes.com/

Hands down get the Posey ungimmicked roller-buckle jacket.

Somehow, Mark and Sheila are actually the cheapest price on a Posey that you can find. (Even cheaper than direct from the manufacturer.)
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
Before you purchase any type of jacket, you need to ask yourself what you plan on doing with the jacket. Do you want to be a magician who performs the straitjacket escape or do you want to be an escape artist? I know several magicians who do the straitjacket escape and they use something like the ronjo jacket. However, the important thing is that they NEVER say in their routines that the jacket is "authentic." Now, if you want to become an escape artist, I would not recommend any type of gimmicked jacket. I personally own four straitjackets - each with a different performance purpose. Yes, I do own a gimmicked jacket but only because it was given to me. I didn't purchase it. I have never actually used it in a performance, but I have loaned it to several people who weren't confident in their abilities to get out of a regulation jacket. In my opinion (and that's what it is, MY opinion), if I were to use a gimmicked jacket in a performance, and it be discovered by an audience member, my credibility as an escape artist would be completely destroyed.

So, think of WHY you want the jacket, but before purchasing a jacket, I would recommend checking out Cannon's Great Escapes. Doc gave the link.

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
cadillaczak
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of cadillaczak
I agree with Joe...get an un-gimmicked jacket. PURE! I did my straitjacket escape with a regular jacket hanging upside down, 30 feet in the air, while it was 100 degrees outside last year...no problems!

-YOU CAN DO IT!

You can see video of it at http://www.myspace.com/zakwhite
RonjoMagic
View Profile
Regular user
Long Island NY
138 Posts

Profile of RonjoMagic
HI Guys,
Pete@ronjo.com here. We've been selling this jacket for many years now and only twice ever had we had a size problem. One time it was too small and one time it was too large. In one instance that it was too big, we had one custom made to fit exactly. If ever you buy anything from us and are not satisfied, contact us and we will arange for you to return it to us. It is true,it fits just about everyone. nothing to worry about.
Take care,
Pete
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Straight Jacket Escape (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL