The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The May 2007 entrée: Jeff Hobson » » Close-up magic? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

aussiemagic
View Profile
Special user
937 Posts

Profile of aussiemagic
Hi Jeff,

Do you do much close-up magic? If so, what kind of material do you enjoy performing?

Thanks

Simon
How to become a professional magician:
Click here
jeffhobson
View Profile
V.I.P.
246 Posts

Profile of jeffhobson
I used to perform much close-up. I would do the basics - nothing out of the ordinary: sponge bunnies, chop cup, ambitious card, hopping halves. . I did have a few original things now that I think of it.

It was fun but I have more fun with stage magic. .
The Hilarious Host of Las Vegas!
VISIT my magic shop: www.HobsonsChoiceMagic.com
Tony Brent
View Profile
Regular user
Orlando, Florida
156 Posts

Profile of Tony Brent
Speaking of close-up; do you ever offer the option to perform walk-around magic for corporate events in conjunction with your stage show, or do you strickly do stage and platform?

Tony Brent
Outta Control Magic Show
Orlando, Florida
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
Jeff was my favorite close-up magician,
(since he doesn't do it anymore)
next to Tommy Edwards.

:)
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
jeffhobson
View Profile
V.I.P.
246 Posts

Profile of jeffhobson
I don't like to perform close-up or walk-around BEFORE my stage act although I did do it by request of agents when I lived in Michigan. I always found it to diminish the impact of the stage act. . . to be mingling and talking with the guests. I like the mystique of seeing someone on stage from a distance. One can get a "bigger than life" feel from being a distance away from the audience and being able to address the entire crowd at once.

I have, however, performed a hospitality suite AFTER the stage show. THAT is fun since everyone already liked you and you don't need much effort to keep their attention. People feel much more special since it's like a celebrity is visiting them.

Wow. . Marshall. . .you put me in the same boat as Tommy Edwards. . . . I'm flattered. He was such a sweet guy!!!!
The Hilarious Host of Las Vegas!
VISIT my magic shop: www.HobsonsChoiceMagic.com
aussiemagic
View Profile
Special user
937 Posts

Profile of aussiemagic
Jeff,

Thanks for telling us about your experiences with close-up magic. I often prefer to perform close up magic before doing a stage show because in my experience it is easier to get people's attention when the stage show begins, but eventually I would like to do just a stage show without having to do close up as well.

Simon
How to become a professional magician:
Click here
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The May 2007 entrée: Jeff Hobson » » Close-up magic? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL