The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » New to balloons, where to start? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
WhiteAngel
View Profile
Loyal user
West Virginia, USA
269 Posts

Profile of WhiteAngel
Hello all. I've recently started working on balloon animals, and I must say I like it. I have read somethings in this forum and decided to get a pump. (I have a hard time blowing them up anyway, they hurt my ears, which aren't that great as it is!) and have a book on the way. I've also found some balloon sites.
I was wondering, however, what balloon animals are the most common, most asked for, and are there twists or techniques I need to learn first? What are the different sizes for? I'm not sure if I have 260's or 160's, but I do know they are hard as you know where to blow up! Any advice would be much appreciated!
True illusionists strive to decieve the eye AND the mind.....
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Dog and sword are my two biggies.
WhiteAngel
View Profile
Loyal user
West Virginia, USA
269 Posts

Profile of WhiteAngel
I was thinking a dog, sword, (i'm not too keen on the idea of ray guns), bear, and some hats.
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1735 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Pull up T. Myers web site. His revues of Dvds and books are right on. You can also call them what you need and they will advise you on the phone. There are other suppliers as well, I'm sure many who are also excellent, but I personally am most familiar with Myers.
cheekychap
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of cheekychap
Theres some very good sources on the net for the simple things to do Smile
but if you want real stunners, then you got to look for don cadwells dvds
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
Might I recommend:
http://stores.ebay.com/Devotion-Pictures

It is worth a look!!

Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
2004 Tampa Bay Stage Magician of the Year
Two Time Florida Close-up Magician State Champion
"Bad to the Balloon"
http://www.balloonguy.net
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
WhiteAngel
View Profile
Loyal user
West Virginia, USA
269 Posts

Profile of WhiteAngel
Thank you all for your replies. So far I've learned the dog (of course) a rabbit, two swords, Monkey, penguin, snake, Axe, a perverted hat that my girlfriend loves, lol, (though I'd never do that one for the kids...) and a few basic twists. I am having a little trouble with the ear twist though...but practice will take care of that I'm sure.
Also, how fast should I be able to do these? I know right now I'm a little slow because I just started.
Thanks for all your help!
Brian
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4416 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
When you say perverted hat do you mean male or female?
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
My friends and I work together and share a business line, so that we can agree to gigs without checking calenders...someone can always fill the gig.

We tell people that a performer can make balloons for 20 kids in an hour. That works out to 3-minutes a kid.

For us, that's a 3-4 balloon animal, sword with hat, alien with helmut, ray gun & jet pack, etc... as opposed to a 1-balloon dog.

I can do line work for 2 hours and average more around 2-minutes per kid, but the scupltures are more basic: Alien without helmut or gun, 2-balloon dog, flower, etc...

When I started, I would take a long time to make even a basic cat, or parrot. Perhaps it would take me 4 minutes or more if I over-inflated a balloon, popped, whateva.

Stretching the balloon before inflation, leaving a portion uninflated, burping the balloon before tieing the knot, and then softening the balloon after tieing the knot are all steps that will minimize pops.

Sam will explain all of these on the DVD I'm sending you!!!
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4416 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Chad whats the DVD adn how much?
WhiteAngel
View Profile
Loyal user
West Virginia, USA
269 Posts

Profile of WhiteAngel
Dave, the balloon adult hat is of male anatomy, and quick to make. I'm working on one of female anatomy now, though that's a little tougher, lol.
As far as the basic animals, I can do them under a minute fairly easy. The sword takes just a few seconds. So I guess I'm not doing too bad.
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Here's a little help on the female anatomy:
http://www.balloonhq.com/photos/db/compl......ent=0%3E

This one is NOT in Bad to the Balloon DVD!!!
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
www.balloonguy.net
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4416 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Well I went to the link and got this text up:

"Nothing Found - possible malformed query

select *,photo.title as ptitle,photo.id as pid from photo LEFT JOIN people ON photo.submitterid=people.id where event=0> AND approvedby>0 and photo.submitterid=people.id and photo.bhqphoto='yes' order by uploaddate desc LIMIT 1,1

You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'AND approvedby>0 and photo.submitterid=people.id and photo.bhq"

"malformed query" like a graham norton with a birth defect? Or not that sort of query?

Are you trying to say that things famanine are more difficult? I can't imagine that anything female would be more difficult than a male ..... ballons are not like real life Smile Am I treading a thin line? I appologise if I am .... I'll go back to bed now.

Dave
WhiteAngel
View Profile
Loyal user
West Virginia, USA
269 Posts

Profile of WhiteAngel
Lol, I'm just saying an adult female anatomy hat is more difficult than one of male anatomy.
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

BalloonHQ.com won't let you see archived items if your not a member. So here she is !!!

Click here to view attached image.
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
www.balloonguy.net
Maestro
View Profile
Special user
815 Posts

Profile of Maestro
Lol, that's somewhat amusing Smile.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4416 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
How much is membership for Balloon HQ??

I am sure I could look on the balloon Q web site but ia ma lazy so and so.

Dave
smitty
View Profile
Veteran user
Picton, Ontario
358 Posts

Profile of smitty
Hello Brian: Welcome to the Wonderful World of Balloon Sculpting. A Note of Caution Brian. Be prepared to GET ADDICTED!!

Ballooning is SO MUCH FUN, for ALL ages. I got started the summer of 85. All I learned back then was a Bunny, Weiner Dog, Giraffe and Saber Sword. I added these few creations to my birthday party magic show I used to do. Once the magic show was done, and I got the balloons out, even though I only made 4 things, the kids ATE THEM UP, and, the adults.

It was insane. Over time, the magic became less and less, and the balloon became more and more, until in about 95, I just did Balloons.

My start Brian was with the Qualatex 260's, a 2 way Qualatex Hand Pump, and Marvin Hardy's hardcover book on Balloon Twisting. A great book for the beginner. I still have it, and still refer to it occassionally.

It sounds like you are already off to a good start, from reading your posts. I definitely agree with checking out T Myers site. I don't really order much from them, being from Canada.

You will want to stick with 260's for now, but eventually you'll want to add the 160's. They are adorable to work with, but you will need a pump. I mouth inflate everything now, as I've been doing this so many years, but it was NOT easy to learn. You HAVE to learn to use your diaphram, otherwise, you will hurt your cheeks, eyes, and end up with bad headaches.

I do also have T's Pumpo, which I've had for years, and just LOVE it on those hot days when I don't want to mouth inflate.

Definitely look into some DVD's. Check T's site for reviews, so you can decide which ones are best for you. I personally find Dave Bartlett's stuff incredibly easy, fun and fast for line work. I've seen all of his video's, and there isn't a dud on any of them.

Don Caldwell is also FABULOUS, and SO FUNNY. A lot of Don's stuff is also very easy, if you start with his easier ones first.

Anyway Brian, if you ever have any questions, please feel free to PM me. I LOVE helping new Balloon Artists.

Have a Blast...

smitty
WhiteAngel
View Profile
Loyal user
West Virginia, USA
269 Posts

Profile of WhiteAngel
I appreciate your post, smitty! I already am addicted, and I see what you mean! It is fun! I've already learned a multitude of sculptures, dog, three swords, dino hat, penguin, bird, love bird, swan, monkey in a palm tree, two flowers, dinosaur, teddy bear, and more, and love trying to make new ones. I'll definately keep you in mind if I have any questions. Thanks!
smitty
View Profile
Veteran user
Picton, Ontario
358 Posts

Profile of smitty
Sounds to me Brian like you are off to a FANTASTIC start. Happy to hear you're having a good time. I think you will find MOST twisters extremely nice people, and friendly. I found the Balloon Twisting community as a whole, MUCH friendlier than the magic community, when I first got started, and even over the years. Balloon Twisters are ALWAYS willing to share and help.

Continue twisting up a storm Brian, and HAVE A BLAST!

smitty
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » New to balloons, where to start? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL