The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Totally impromptu self-working favorites... (14 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
the fritz
View Profile
Special user
640 Posts

Profile of the fritz
Hello all. Forgive me if this has been covered ad nauseum. I did a quick search and found nothing specific. In an effort to place my finger on the pulse of the fine magicians who frequent this section of the forum, I'm curious to know what your favorite self-working (or very technically easy) IMPROMPTU card effects are. By impromptu, I mean a borrowed shuffled pack that requires no prior preparation. I know some tricks require quick preparation that can be done in seconds on the fly. These are fine to include if you like.

If forced to choose just one from any and all of the card effects we all derive so much pleasure from performing, under the conditions stated above, which would be your choice?

As a final note (and then I'll shut up!) I realize you all may have favorites that are suitable only for one spectator as well as some intended for many spectators (as I do), so if there are "ties" then feel free to list both or as many as you deem necessary. The point is, I'm curious to know what you all consider "the cream of the crop" as it were. To me, it is a rare thing to find such effects as there is so much mediocrity to wade through. I also hope this discussion brings you all pleasure because (if you are like me, and I realize many of you aren't, which is fine) I find it just plain fun to talk about!

Enjoy!

Brett

P.S. If forced to choose one, mine would be a simple force followed by a ridiculously played up and dramatized (perhaps tongue-in-cheek) divination.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I'd have them peek at a card and give them the deck to shuffle (doing my own "peek" in the process). Run through the deck, name the wrong card, and when it doesn't match Top Change it. If you can't handle the top change, just name it. They'll remember that they handled the deck, and shuffled themselves. The fine details of the peek flies right past them.

It's quick, relatively easy, and requires absolutely no setup at all.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Here is are a couple of topics about favorite self-working (s-w) tricks:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......6&95

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......6&32

The only s-w tricks I have attempted is Vernon's "The Card Trick That Can't Be Explained" and his "Emotional Reaction".

Some s-w tricks that I've done for those rare folks who want to be taught a trick are:

"The Piano Card Trick" - Carlyle.
"Gemini Twins" - Fulves.
"Two Card Reverse" - Lorayne.
"The Upside-Down Deck" - Carlyle.

Since I don't do these very often I forget them and usually have to refresh my memory by reading them again.

There are a couple of easy tricks that I do that require forces, palms, culling or other sleights but I wouldn't say that they are self-working as described below.

- Requires no practiced manipulation or sleights, complex setups or special apparatus.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8312 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Hey Thefritz: I've written so many books JUST FOR YOU. HL
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
194 Posts

Profile of R.S.
'Do As I Do' (with 2 decks)
'OOTW'
'The Moving Pencil' (H. Lorayne - thanks Harry)
'Into The Future' (G. Griffin)

All are easy, can be done with a borrowed, shuffled deck, and are killers!

Ron
:)
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
I can produce a miracle with 'Gemini Twin'.

Hideo Kato
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
Two of my favorites (at the moment) are ROM by Max Maven and Child's Play by Karl Fulves. The only things to concern yourself with ROM are that you do need to know how to do a finger break and it does have eight different endings! No, it's not as hard as you think! Smile

Both of the above tricks were gotten out of Aldo Colombini's Simply Impromp2 book, which is an excellent resource for this sort of thing.
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
2042 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Impromptu Out Of This World, by none other than Harry Lorayne..My absolute favorite, anywhere, anytime, any deck effect.
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
tgplano
View Profile
Special user
Ted Gillam
614 Posts

Profile of tgplano
I always get a great response from Barrie Richardson's Impromptu Card at any Number. A fantastic trick.
Mentalism for the Metroplex
demattia
View Profile
New user
Gothenburg, Sweden
10 Posts

Profile of demattia
I agree with R.S. that Do As I Do is a great trick. When I perform it I tend to make it more of a mentalist trick. This was one of the first tricks I learned, but I still come back to it. Magic that happens in the hands of the spectator is something I always find powerful.

Another trick that is totally impromptu, easy to perform, and very visual is something I picked up from a video with Fernando Keops and I think it's called Presto Switch. It's a very quick routine, and I personally do it after HaLo Aces or some other four aces production.
CDKconjurations
View Profile
New user
Knoxville, TN
31 Posts

Profile of CDKconjurations
Check out the Semi-Automatic Card Tricks series of books by Steve Beam. Currently there are seven volumes, and they are all filled with great effects. You should also note that in addition to all the wonderful material, these are some of the most entertaining magic books you will ever read.
the fritz
View Profile
Special user
640 Posts

Profile of the fritz
Harry,

Yes, I own a few of your books and that is one of the things I enjoy about your work... totally impromptu. Not many hold to this standard. Incidentally, I would add that The Magic Book (I have an original first edition) is my gold standard for beginner's magic books.

CDKconjurations,

I have several of Beam's books as well. They are VERY entertaining. I don't find myself laughing out loud at a book when I'm by myself very often, but with his series it never fails. My problem with many of these is the whole spelling/counting/dealing procedures found in most of the tricks in these books...even though the workings are always motivated by the author's brilliant patter lines, they still tend to be a bit monotonous for my taste.

Everybody who submitted or seconded Do As I Do,

I third you... what a classic, eh? Gemini Twins is also a great effect, indeed.

Thanks for all the great responses. Any others?

Posted: May 29, 2007 2:30pm
To add to my first post... I have recently discovered a plot that takes the idea from my first post and adds a little extra to it. This can be found in Card College Volume 5 under the title "Insured Prediction." Briefly: Deck is shuffled, two "insurance cards" placed face down "just in case they're needed," card noted (without removing it from the pack... merely looked at), deck shuffled again. Card is divined by looking through the pack and placing one face down on table. It is turned face up... wrong card. Insurance cards prove to be of same value and suit (one of each). As a kicker, when added together and counting down in the pack to that number, the original selection is found.

It takes a little more brain power than my first thought of simply taking a card and magician divining it, but the uncanny coincidence factor is fun and the kicker is pretty amazing. The whole thing is pretty much self-working too (unless you deviate from Giobbi's method and go for a more direct force, as I choose to do).
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Unfortunately, the Semi-Automatic Card Tricks series books cost $45-$55 apiece, and there are now SEVEN volumes. While I'm sure they're great, and well worth the money, they are out of range for most of us amateurs. (But they're still on my 'must buy' list, just in case I win the lottery someday.)

A better choice might be Giobbi's Card College Light, which consists of a series of 21 self-working tricks organized into 7 routines. Not only does he teach you the tricks, he teaches you the presentation. I own this book and highly recommend it. It's worth the price ($35) just for the opening routine!
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
inidyls
View Profile
Veteran user
NYC
315 Posts

Profile of inidyls
Quote:
On 2007-05-29 15:54, airship wrote:
Unfortunately, the Semi-Automatic Card Tricks series books cost $45-$55 apiece, and there are now SEVEN volumes. While I'm sure they're great, and well worth the money, they are out of range for most of us amateurs. (But they're still on my 'must buy' list, just in case I win the lottery someday.)

A better choice might be Giobbi's Card College Light, which consists of a series of 21 self-working tricks organized into 7 routines. Not only does he teach you the tricks, he teaches you the presentation. I own this book and highly recommend it. It's worth the price ($35) just for the opening routine!

Airship, you are exactly right. the opener is awesome
NYCJoePitt
View Profile
Special user
553 Posts

Profile of NYCJoePitt
Quote:
On 2007-05-29 15:54, airship wrote:

I definitely agree with that. Card College Light has some great self-working tricks. You can take advantage of the routines that are already created for you. Or if you prefer, just pick and choose the individual effects that you like. There are some real winners in this book. I own it and it's worth every penny!
the fritz
View Profile
Special user
640 Posts

Profile of the fritz
Card College Lite is definitley a great book, however I have just one problem with the opening routine... it is not impromptu. If I recall, it involves a fairly elaborate setup (not something you could do on the fly). Otherwise, if you have the luxury of carrying around a setup deck with you everywhere you go, then this routine is a hard one to top. The idea of someone asking you to do a trick and in return, you asking if they have a deck of playing cards they could grab and shuffle is just more appealing to me than taking out my own deck (at least in this context... if you're officially there to perform, that's another matter altogether). I'm not a pro who has scheduled performances, so I tend to favor impromptu.
Kaylan
View Profile
Special user
CT
758 Posts

Profile of Kaylan
"Devastation" by Geoff Williams
FredrikS
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of FredrikS
Hey!

Interesting tread. My favorites are "Emotional Reaction" - Vernon, Untouchable - Daryl and trick that uses (I think) a location from Roy Walton be David stone. "Self Worked" This are all tricks that a use when I a borrow a old messy deck from someone =)
"Fly me to the moon"
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4829 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
See Natural Selection in my new book Kingdom of the Red available Aug 1. It's a self worker that is done with any deck the spectator shuffles himself. They wind up finding the card they thought of. It's entirely mathematical but doesn't seem that way to the spectator.
msc455magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Taipei, Taiwan
1523 Posts

Profile of msc455magic
There is a fantastic self worker called "Joint Account" from New Magic of Japan. It kills.

Best,
Charles
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Totally impromptu self-working favorites... (14 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.42 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL