The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Totally impromptu self-working favorites... (14 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Lash
View Profile
Regular user
Lansing, MI
160 Posts

Profile of Lash
Do As I Do
Double Reverse
The Odd Couples
Cranial Fermentator
View Profile
Loyal user
236 Posts

Profile of Cranial Fermentator
I have so many it's hard to say, but my current favorite is Karl Fulves' "Random Thot" featured in this month's " As Always Aldo" on Aldo Colombini's web site:

http://www.wildcolombini.com/aldo.html
CAROLINI
View Profile
Special user
607 Posts

Profile of CAROLINI
When presented properly Gemini Twins along with Out of this World are miracles.
Cranial Fermentator
View Profile
Loyal user
236 Posts

Profile of Cranial Fermentator
CAROLINI,

I definately agree with you! However up to six months ago, I would have argued that "Out of this World" was simply not impromptu, since all the versions I knew needed considerable setup. Then I discovered the impromptu version on Michael's Ammar's "The Exciting World of Magic" video. Though I don't think its as strong as the other versions, considering it can be done with a shuffled borrowed deck, it is still a miracle and one of the best card tricks ever.
jcroop
View Profile
Special user
720 Posts

Profile of jcroop
There are too many to name.

But one of the one's I like the best is called "Psychological Force" from one of Daryl's Revelations tapes. I have turned the presenation into the spectator does everything from shuffling the deck, selecting the card, placing it back into the pack at a random place, randomly cutting the deck into 4 piles and then finding the selected card themselves. A similar effect using a different control is in Schindler and Garcia, Magic with Cards

Jim.
John Nesbit
View Profile
Inner circle
United States
1418 Posts

Profile of John Nesbit
Quote:
On 2007-05-08 16:27, Harry Lorayne wrote:
Hey Thefritz: I've written so many books JUST FOR YOU. HL

Geesh ! And all those years (until now) I thought they were "just for me" ! Smile

(They are still "just" as wonderful Harry) !

Thank you

John
sohaib
View Profile
Special user
San Ramon, CA
577 Posts

Profile of sohaib
To this fine thread I'd add Chad Long's Shuffling Lesson.
the fritz
View Profile
Special user
640 Posts

Profile of the fritz
Sohaib,

That is indeed a really good trick based on the reactions I've received when I've done it.

Also, I've been doing a version of CAAN that is almost self-working (the one sleight is one everybody can do) and inspired by the above mentioned "Insured Prediction" and a simple spelling effect. So far it has been well-received (ass far as I can tell) even though it isn't as direct as most CAAN or ACAAN effects.

Posted: Aug 7, 2007 2:39pm
Oops! I meant "AS far as I can tell"
greg50h
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of greg50h
John Bannon has some really good ones in Dear Mr. Fantasy.

I've only been doing cards for a couple of years. I got this book and was doing the work in a matter of hours. Now I'm working on the patter and presentation. Bannon has great patter and presentation in the book.

Check it out.
Midway
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Midway
I agree. Dear Mr.Fantasy is a great book.
Steve Haynes
View Profile
Inner circle
Southeastern United States
1085 Posts

Profile of Steve Haynes
DARYL Untouched
the fritz
View Profile
Special user
640 Posts

Profile of the fritz
Untouched is probably my favorite and most used impromptu trick. The impossibility factor is through the roof. Fogel's Triple Prediction is good too, using practically the same method.

For those who are partial to Gemini... have any of you ever combined it with a Paul Curry Open Prediction presentation? Essentially, instead of one open prediction, you have two. And instead of dealing the cards face up, as Curry's problem suggests, you deal them face down. I'm curious if any of you have tried it from this angle and if so, what your results have been.
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2826 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
"Hellraiser II" (Peter Duffie's Effortless Card Magic) is a favorite of mine & so is Steve Freeman's "Time Machine" (C.C. vol. III), Dai Vernon's classic "Twisting The Aces" followed up with my version of "Doc Daley's Last Trick", & Harry Lorayne's "Tilt Sandwich" (BOF vol. I) to name a few.
Cardamagically,
<KRaZy4KaRdZ>>> /> <> //
:) Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
Picard
View Profile
Elite user
411 Posts

Profile of Picard
Quote:
On 2007-08-15 07:33, KRZ4kardz wrote:
"Hellraiser II" (Peter Duffie's Effortless Card Magic) is a favorite of mine & so is Steve Freeman's "Time Machine" (C.C. vol. III), Dai Vernon's classic "Twisting The Aces" followed up with my version of "Doc Daley's Last Trick", & Harry Lorayne's "Tilt Sandwich" (BOF vol. I) to name a few.
Cardamagically,
<KRaZy4KaRdZ>>> /> <> //

I don't know about "Tilt Sandwich" and "Time Machine" but "Hellraiser II", "Twisting The Aces" and "Doc Daley's Last Trick" surely aren't self-working.
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
2826 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Quote:
On 2007-05-08 14:15, the fritz wrote:
I'm curious to know what your favorite self-working (or very technically easy) IMPROMPTU card effects are. By impromptu, I mean a borrowed shuffled pack that requires no prior preparation.

Picard, I made my suggestions within these parameters. The sleights associated with the effects mentioned are technically very easy for me as I have been performing them for many years, so they have become practically self-working. If you have the book "Effortless Card Magic" by Peter Duffie he states in the intro that a friend of his doesn't believe that there is such a thing as self-working magic. All of this can lead into endless debates about self-working versus technique laden card effects. It still takes the performer to execute the said effect because a deck of cards is an inanimate object and can't perform by itself. I am sure there are many more effortless card magic effects out there, but take a look at the book I have mentioned as well as "The Card Magic of Nick Trost" for more "practically self-working" card miracles.
Cardamagically,
<<<KRaZy4KaRdZ>>> /> <> //

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
the fritz
View Profile
Special user
640 Posts

Profile of the fritz
KRZ4krdz,

You have a good point when you say the effects mentioned are technically very easy for you. I would place Twisting the Aces and Dr. Daley's Last Trick in the "very technically easy" (as I originally posted when beginning this thread) category, although I certainly do realize that this won't be the case for everybody. To summarize, I suppose everybody has their own interpretation of "technically easy" but to clarify for anyone else wishing to post, here is what I would personally call "technically easy"... sleights along the lines of a Jog Shuffle, Hindu Shuffle Force, Glide, Double Turnover (not fancy "touchy" moves, but rather the types described by Harry Lorayne in "The Magic Book" or "Close-Up Card Magic" as these are fairly easy to learn to do well in a reasonably short period of time), etc. These are the types of moves I picture when I think of "very technically easy." I know many of you may disagree, but I believe most of you who have a beginning knowledge of sleights with playing cards will be familiar with these moves and could probably perform them well with a few days practice. Any objections to this list? Would any of you add any "very technically easy" sleights to this list?

Posted: Aug 21, 2007 5:04pm
By the way,

When I talk about the moves described by Harry Lorayne in "The Magic Book" and "Close-Up Card Magic," I'm talking specifically about the Double Turnover! I know there are some tougher moves in Close-Up Card Magic such as the Faro Shuffle and the Curry Turnover Change. I would certainly NOT consider these moves easy!

Posted: Aug 21, 2007 5:08pm
Now that I'm thinking of it, one sleight I would add to the "very technically easy" list is the Flip Flop Change. What a great way to change multiple cards without years of practice. J.K. Hartman's Blow-Away Change does the same thing, but looks entirely different. Both are good, but I prefer the ease of the Flip Flop Change. This can be found in Card College, Volume 3, I believe.
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
2826 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Remember one thing though..."what seems to be "very technically easy" to one, may prove to be a stumbling block to another".
Cardamagically,
<<<KRazy4KardZ>>> /> <> //

Smile Smile Smile Smile
Ace of $pades
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Ace of $pades
Do ambitios card and learn some XCM. It makes you look cool in casual settings and professional settings.
apple123
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of apple123
Criss Cross I've just come across in Lorayne's My Favorite Card Tricks is a fun self working trick.
the fritz
View Profile
Special user
640 Posts

Profile of the fritz
KRZ4kardz,

I agree. I think that was the point Picard was trying to make above.

Ace of $pades,

I don't know that I would necessarily place XCM in the very technically easy category for anybody! These manipulations are some of the most difficult there are. Even some of the best experts in this field have trouble performing some of their own moves flawlessly every time. As far as looking cool... I can see where some might be impressed by XCM, especially the demographic it is aimed at. I'm personally not so concerned about looking cool as I am about the people watching me experiencing magic.

Posted: Aug 28, 2007 4:27pm
Ace of $pades,

Do you have a routine for Ambitious Card that you personally consider to be on the "technically easy" side? I've always loved Ambitious Card and have worked on a lot of different versions. Some have lots of phases, others have few and I've played around with many different endings. I've never come up with one I'm totally happy with. Any thoughts? This question goes for anybody, by the way!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Totally impromptu self-working favorites... (14 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL