The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Derren Brown strikes again! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Hansen
View Profile
Special user
Down Under
653 Posts

Profile of Hansen
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=......mp;hl=en

Derren in card mode. Brilliant, and very cheeky!
Gianni
View Profile
Special user
WILMINGTON, DE
992 Posts

Profile of Gianni
Cheeky isn't the word. I wonder if this is not dangerous on YouTube where the effect can be replayed indefinitely until the solution appears.

Gianni
Greg Hues
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
143 Posts

Profile of Greg Hues
I would say the word is bold ;P

I agree about it being dangerous though, but only slightly... as there is a lot more to pulling that off than just sleight of hand.
Regards,

Greg Hues
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4283 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Very nice as always
aiturran
View Profile
Loyal user
Santiago, Chile
260 Posts

Profile of aiturran
Derren Brown is a great magician.
Very smooth and a great trick, always trying to play with spectator's mind.
He kept it quite simple but naturality as always is the key factor.
"Effect first, method second" (some of you know who said that all the time)

Thanks,

Antonio
opay
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of opay
BRILLIANT, wow... geezzz....
best regards

=payz=
amazingvijay
View Profile
Regular user
N. California Bay Area
172 Posts

Profile of amazingvijay
Wow - that was very clever.

Vijay
N California Bay Area magician
http://www.amazingvijay.com
nicd
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
164 Posts

Profile of nicd
Bold is the word indeed ;-)
Here you can see again how easy you can get tons of misdirection to pull off anything you like to.
Shodan
View Profile
Special user
Isle of Man
663 Posts

Profile of Shodan
Smooth.
"You don't go up to strangers with a stick and come at their head...introduce yourself first, then come at them with a stick." - David Williamson
FlippingWonderful
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of FlippingWonderful
Simple and effective... very good Mr Brown
boxjumper
View Profile
Veteran user
359 Posts

Profile of boxjumper
Well executed moves but as far as presentation it was liking watching the grass grow.
marc_carrion
View Profile
Special user
590 Posts

Profile of marc_carrion
Please do not post those kind of videos on YouTube!!! The sleights are so obvious to the video observer that they reveal the whole thing. I agree that is great magic in public. The misdirection is well performed, at the correct moments. In the eyes of the spectator they never lost the card of sight.

But again, avoid posting it in YouTube, you don't even need to repeat the effect to see what is going on.
naquada
View Profile
Regular user
198 Posts

Profile of naquada
Very cheeky.. and bold as with all his stuff.. but please.. keep it off video sites!?!? a little thought and you can easily backwards engineer this!!
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13370 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I thought he presented it just fine. He made it simple and clear to the spectator and that is exactly what the spectator said afterwards, in so many words.

I don't think he would have gotten that reaction if he did not keep it slow and simple.

Tricks don't always dancing, phony smiles, and one-liners.

Well done.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
marc_carrion
View Profile
Special user
590 Posts

Profile of marc_carrion
The effect is wonderful for public, 'simple and clear' and that's, I think, the strongest magic possible.

But, putting this video in YouTube exposed two great moves magicians use.

Marc Carrion
The Hitchhiker
View Profile
Regular user
England
150 Posts

Profile of The Hitchhiker
Just a very good demonstration. If he had listened to derren and counted cards the second time it would have been game over, derren considers this scenario close to the end.
ChristopherM
View Profile
Special user
UK
844 Posts

Profile of ChristopherM
Ah yes, I remember this episode. Nice straightforward routine, with a 'tribute' to one of his major influences.
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
How do you guys see this video? I have clicked on the thumbnail and nothing happens. Any help with viewing this vid?

thanks
Magic is a vanishing art.
Hansen
View Profile
Special user
Down Under
653 Posts

Profile of Hansen
Firstly, I just wanted to clarify that I didn't post this video to Google Video, I just chanced upon it while watching a few Derren Brown clips.

Secondly, having read Derren's books, I have a sneaking suspicion that Derren feels all intelligent, thinking "laymen" know that sleight-of-hand is involved when card "magic" is performed. He doesn't pretend otherwise, he just puts on an incredibly smooth, classy, even elegant, show of his immense skills for the enjoyment of his intelligent, thinking spectators.

When he wants to show the real stuff, the real "magic" he unleashes his considerable mind reading talents (which yes, on occasion does inlvolve the use of cards).

Regarding exposure, anyone with a fleeting whim of curiosity can Google the word "Card Magic" and instantly see/superficially learn practically half of our secret art. Welcome to the "wonders" of the internet.

Let's give our spectators due credit, and then still entertain them like they've never been entertained before. And if you really want to make them question reality, then the broad field of mentalism offers some well-hidden gems...
ShawnMilo
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of ShawnMilo
Quote:
On 2007-05-09 16:22, marc_carrion wrote:
Please do not post those kind of videos on YouTube!!! The sleights are so obvious to the video observer that they reveal the whole thing. I agree that is great magic in public. The misdirection is well performed, at the correct moments. In the eyes of the spectator they never lost the card of sight.

But again, avoid posting it in YouTube, you don't even need to repeat the effect to see what is going on.

I doubt any non-magicians will find anything obvious there. Secondly, I'd bet that some of us magicians who "know" how it was done are thinking of another method than what was actually used.

It appears that this was filmed specifically for television or something -- meant to be watched on a screen in some form or another. Before I'd call for a pull-down of Derren Brown videos, I'd focus my attention on the teenagers "performing" tricks on YouTube and exposing them due to a lack of skill.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Derren Brown strikes again! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL