The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » Cool moves in your 3CM routine? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
I like to use the flustration count, and a double lift to hide the ace before I set down my cards. That way I can show all jokers and then force the ace (mexican turnover if necessary) when I ask a spec to choose a joker...sort of a reverse 3CM game if you follow.

Does anyone do anything similar? Any nice moves that you could recommend me adding to this bit?
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
OK, so maybe this thread won't go down in history as memorable. 2 weeks with no responses Smile However, I'm really interested in opinions on using the classic cons in a non-gambling environment. I'm trying to turn my 3CM, Shells, and Fast & Loose magic into acts that don't leave the specs feeling like they've lost a game or bet.

For instance, after my intro into the shell game, I do a color change for the pea, under the shell where the pea SHOULD be. The next round, I have a 2 inch sponge ball appear under the shell that SHOULD have the pea. In this sense, the spec has every possibility to guess correctly...but there's still a very magical component.

My original post was about making the 3CM an "always win" game. I've also been practicing a suit change for the ace...sort of an adaptation on the color change idea. Again, the spec chooses correctly, but still gets to see magic.

My fast & loose routine is a lot like Chef Antons from the S4S DVD. I don't use his poem, but I do let one spec win while the other loses. The idea of having a loser still bothers me, but in front of the right group, it's great.

So, I'm looking to entertain and not con. Mr. Hayden and Mr. Anton (and a host of others I'm sure) can con and entertain at the same time. I don't see myself as being able to do that effectively though. Your thoughts would be appreciated!
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I don't do 3CM, but I do work a bit with the shells and endless chain, plus a few other things, so I can't directly answer your question about your particular set of moves.

But...

I think it's safe to say that judging from the lack of responses that not many here see much advantage in mixing con games and magic.

Sure, there's always a way to add a magic "kicker" to any of these routines, but the games themselves play so strong on their own merits that I wonder if we should just leave them for what they are.

You can structure it any way you like: you win, they win, somebody else wins,... whatever, but the game is the show.

That's not to say you can't make them entertaining. I think anyone who has seen any of Whit's routines can attest to that.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Clarioneer
View Profile
Special user
Ferndown, Dorset, UK
624 Posts

Profile of Clarioneer
I mix con and magic with fast and loose... from the con to the seemingly impossible (magic)... I use desouza's routine with some slight mods...
catch you later

Clarioneer
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1460 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
Check Steve Draun's 3 Card Monte on his Standing Room Only DVD. Also, if you can find it, Roy Walton's routine in his book, The Devil's Playthings. Both combine magical changes and the monte.
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
I've mentioned this in another thread but in an older book, "The Book of John" by John Mendoza he offers four card monte. This is a magical presentation of a monte theme with a kicker ending. I used to use it in my walk-around magic days...very nice.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Harry Lorayne has some beautiful moves that can be done without the hype move.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » Cool moves in your 3CM routine? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL