The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » The National Magic Trick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

drkptrs1975
View Profile
Elite user
North Eastern PA
452 Posts

Profile of drkptrs1975
We all have a National Athem, before sporting events, asks to rise for the National Athem. If there was to be a National Magic Trick, and you can submit anyone you want, can be Comedy, Close Up, Stage, and even Illusions, which one would you submit for the National Magic Trick. I would submit the Zig-Zag lady.
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
Vanishing hanky - (TT)

Lyndel
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17197 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Mismade Flag
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
nathanallen
View Profile
Special user
Des Moines, Iowa, USA
522 Posts

Profile of nathanallen
Quote:
On 2007-05-11 21:32, Lyndel wrote:
Vanishing hanky - (TT)

I think Penn & Teller opened one of their older TV shows with the Vanishing Hanky, and that's exactly what they called it: "The National Magic Trick".
I think. I could be wrong.
Nathan Allen, The Maniac of Magic
www.maniacofmagic.com

To buy a prop is nothing.
To write a good routine is something.
To really entertain an audience is everything.
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Cups and balls...
itshim
View Profile
Elite user
Milton Keynes
417 Posts

Profile of itshim
Nathanallen,

I have the same recollection of seeing Penn and Teller. Always seemed weird to me here in the UK when they are talking about the national trick and they're americans.

Nigel
I knew a man who kept saying "pliers, pincers, scissors". He was speaking in tongs.

www.itshim.co.uk
TroyRoark
View Profile
Loyal user
Springfield IL
282 Posts

Profile of TroyRoark
Vanishing bird cage (Blackstone)
tnscot
View Profile
Loyal user
220 Posts

Profile of tnscot
Ever since I was a kid, there were two tricks that, no matter how cliche, ALWAYS personified (can a "thing" personify?) magic to me:

1. Pulling a rabbit from a hat
and
2. Sawing a lady in half

My vote would probably be sawing a lady in half.
As Always,
Scot Legdermain
calamari
View Profile
Elite user
The San Francisco Bay Area
429 Posts

Profile of calamari
The French Drop... no that would be France's
Chinese Linking Rings... no that would be China's

I vote cups and balls with those cute little baseballs and a hot dog production finale while eating apple pie in a Chevrolet.
"I came, I saw, SHE conquered." (The original Latin seems to have been garbled.)
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Oh, good! Another national something! I always like celebrating national frozen food month, but that's a whole month and no one ever asked me to pick a national frozen food.

For a national magic trick, in America, it should be a totally American trick. That lets out Zig-Zag (Robert Harbin- UK) and vanishing birdcage (Bautier De Kolta - France) and even the vanishing hanky with a TT is not totally American in origin. However, The Professor's Nightmare IS totally American, from Hen Fetsch through Bob Carver and most of the rip-off artists who claimed it at one time or another. Besides, it has Professor in its name and I am partial to anything with Professor in it. I wish Professor Cheer's could be considered, but it is of UK origin.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
drkptrs1975
View Profile
Elite user
North Eastern PA
452 Posts

Profile of drkptrs1975
I will go with the Proffessors Nightmare.
TroyRoark
View Profile
Loyal user
Springfield IL
282 Posts

Profile of TroyRoark
OHNOHEDI-INT!!!

Don't you give my Vanishing Birdcage to the French?!?! We took their statue, their fries, and their maid outfits... I WANT THE CAGE!!!!!

Nationalisticly Yours,
Troy
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Recalling that Blackstone named himself after a popular brand of cigars of the era, and that we already got revenge on the French for their fries by sending them McDonalds, why embarrass ourselves by electing to "national magic trick" status a birdcage that can no longer be performed with a live bird inside? It should either be referred to as the "empty cage" vanish or the "rubber canary cage" vanish.

However, perhaps I should rethink my nomination and select a trick whose name everyone can spell correctly.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Magicmatt1982
View Profile
Loyal user
Southeren IL
296 Posts

Profile of Magicmatt1982
I would have a few I think. The vanishing Hanky,Coin from ear,sponge balls and last is cups and balls.
thecardtrick
View Profile
New user
Northern NJ
72 Posts

Profile of thecardtrick
Quote:
On 2007-06-02 12:40, nathanallen wrote:
I think Penn & Teller opened one of their older TV shows with the Vanishing Hanky, and that's exactly what they called it: "The National Magic Trick".
I think. I could be wrong.

In "Magic & Mystery Tour" the episode where they go to China, they close with a room of people performing it as China's national trick.
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17070 Posts

Profile of joseph
Quote:
On 2007-06-08 16:47, calamari wrote:
The French Drop... no that would be France's

Also the Guillotine.. Smile ..
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
thesecretrouting
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of thesecretrouting
My vote goes to the cut and restored rope.
don't know if it's American in origin though. Just seems like everyone has a version in their show.
honus
View Profile
Veteran user
354 Posts

Profile of honus
Pull my finger. Smile

Actually, the Quarter From The Ear should be the National Trick; everybody's uncle (even Sam?) does it.
MagicMattMan
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
741 Posts

Profile of MagicMattMan
Ambitous Card
"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary; for those who do not, none will suffice." -Joseph Dunninger

"Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it."Hebrews 13:2
MagicMattMan
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
741 Posts

Profile of MagicMattMan
Or perhaps Folding Quarter...everyone comes into the shop asking for that "quarter bite thingie" they saw on t.v.
"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary; for those who do not, none will suffice." -Joseph Dunninger

"Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it."Hebrews 13:2
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » The National Magic Trick (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.66 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL