The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Microphone holder (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mikeypresto
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of mikeypresto
A few years ago, I saw carrot top. very funny man

he had used a nifty device to hang his mic around his neck.

I own a gic crack, but this was way cooler almost looked like pvc and tubing and it actuall brought the mic closer to his mouth unlike the gic crack

has anyone seen this or know of another cool mic holder for purchase or are there any engineers out there who wants a job making one?

any feedback will be appreaciated....
Magically,

Mikey
Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
804 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
Here's the best picture I was able to find.

Click here to view attached image.
Dan McLean Jr
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
This looks GREAT! I searched, couldn't find one.

John
AmazingA
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
151 Posts

Profile of AmazingA
I've looked for one too, then someone referred me to here http://www.malloymodernmagic.com/freedom.htm is that what you're looking for?
mikeypresto
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of mikeypresto
That one is similar to the gic crack, the problem is this it just rests against your chest as where thr carrot top one shown above can be positioned closer to your mouth,
Magically,

Mikey
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1634 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Quote:
On 2007-05-12 22:52, mikeypresto wrote:
That one is similar to the gic crack, the problem is this it just rests against your chest as where thr carrot top one shown above can be positioned closer to your mouth,

Knowing how he is, HE probably made it himself; he IS in the prop making business ya know. Smile
mikeypresto
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of mikeypresto
I'm sure he made it, I'm just wondering if someone out there has made something similar, or anyone out there would like to attemp to build it for me for a fee

thanks
mikey
Magically,

Mikey
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
The malloy option is not as good as the gim-crack in terms of having the mic "out" away fom your chest. I think the gim-crack actually does a fairly descent job of this. you might consider modifying it. probably would not be hard.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
I've tried that with the gim crack. It tends to flop back and forth.

What I have made however is to add length and height to a lapel mic. I use the malloy holder and attach a stiff piece of copper wire to it--maybe 2 inches. Then to the copper wire I attach the lapel mic with nylon strap. Works ok. Much louder.

John
eb02
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of eb02
I have the perfect microphone holder for sale.
It will hold the Microphone at the correct distance from your mouth and you can adjust the height. Great for MC, magician, lectures, conventions, clowns etc.
PM if you want more information.
Eran
Eran Blizovsky
www.magic4business.net
Owen Anderson
View Profile
Loyal user
A sturdy fence needs at least
231 Posts

Profile of Owen Anderson
Tom Burgoon has a clever one that holds the mike away from the chest.
Google him and look for 'MikNik' on the product page.
Owen Anderson
Stephen Williams
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of Stephen Williams
I use Trevor Duffy's version of it in my show http://www.trevorduffy.co.za/prod_micro.shtml
It was exactly what I needed.
Ste
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Quote:
On 2008-03-21 09:33, Owen Anderson wrote:
Tom Burgoon has a clever one that holds the mike away from the chest.
Google him and look for 'MikNik' on the product page.

Just received the Mik Nik.This is a great item.My microphone problems are solved. My Gim Crack holder is now a back-up accessory.

Tom Burgoon also provides excellent and fast service.

Rich
MichaelKent
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of MichaelKent
Do you really think Carrot Top's looks great? Sure, it might be convenient and practical as far as function goes, but when I saw Carrot Top live, I couldn't help but just stare at the giant white microphone holder around his neck the whole time. I think it's distracting.
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
I can't understand why these mic holders are made so large and obtrusive. They look like some kind of ugly supporting body brace. There's no doubt that having a large radio mic suspended just below your chin can look a bit odd. But this odd look can quickly just become part of 'the picture' if the holder is made to effectively disappear.

I made a mic holder the only part of which you can see is the plastic clip in which the mic is held. The supporting wire holding the mic clip doesn't need to go round your body, or over your shoulders it can be made so that it remains completely out of sight under your shirt collar. You need to use wire stiff enough that it will hold its shape under the weight of the mic without bending or flexing. Just bend the wire around your neck until you end up with a close and snug fitting '?' shape. With the jaw spring mic clips (which I recommend you use) there is a hole through which you can pass and bend around the end of the wire. I heat up the wire just before finally bending it into place and melt two grooves or channels into the plastic so that when the wire is finally bemt into place it holds the mic clip fixed at the right angle relative to the wire. Bind the whole thing up with tape that's going to match whatever shirt you're going to be wearing and you'll have a virtually invisible mic holder. It takes a bit of patience to make but it's certainly not rocket science.

As I said, use a jaw spring mic clip. Don't use a mic clip that requires the mic to be slipped into it and out of it from the top. If you do you'll have to move your head/face awkwardly out the way to one side everytime you put the mic into, or remove it from, the clip. With a jaw spring mic clip so the mic can be put into and removed from the it directly from the front. Also with this spring jaw clip you can move the mic up and down in in the clip to move the mic nearer or further away from your mouth depending on what your doing and how good the sound system is and it'll fit whatever mic you are handed which can't be said for the standard plastic mic fitting.

Better still if you're starting out do yourself a huge favour and buy yourself a headset mic. You can even get packless headset mics (samsung Airline 77 I think)that you can instantly take off and put back on if needs be.

Neal.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Microphone holder (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL