The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Best affordable Scotch and Soda? (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tnscot
View Profile
Loyal user
220 Posts

Profile of tnscot
Not wanting to get too involved here at first while I learn the craft a bit, but I want to have a little improptu magic to carry around. Does anyone have any reccomendations as to the best affordable Scotch and Soda? I live in America, so American coins would be better for me.
As Always,
Scot Legdermain
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Still the best one made overall is the Johnson Products one, but it does not come with the extra coin that many of the less expensive units come with.

Generally nowdays most S & S's are pretty good. It's the type of trick that simply can't be made badly or else the shops will keep getting them back as defective, so in most cases you are probably pretty safe. I haven't seen a truly bad one for some years and I've sold quite a few different brands. Best,
Brad Burt
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Cutty Sark and Craigmont. Nah, most of the low cost manufacturers make a version of scotch and soda. Oh they might have a plastic ring instead of a brass one, but for most use they work about as good as any, just browse magic dealers and you will find something you can afford. I've never heard of a particularly bad one.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Good question though. When you start getting into the fancier gaffed coins, you get what you pay for.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Would you believe that the best Scotch and Soda available will cost you less than $1.00, if you use American coins?

PM me for details.

Be sure to PM me before May 17. After that, you may have to wait a couple of weeks for a reply.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
pghdude80
View Profile
New user
Pittsburgh
72 Posts

Profile of pghdude80
Quote:
On 2007-05-13 02:03, Bill Palmer wrote:
Would you believe that the best Scotch and Soda available will cost you less than $1.00, if you use American coins?

PM me for details.

Be sure to PM me before May 17. After that, you may have to wait a couple of weeks for a reply.

Bill, you certainly know how to arouse curiosity.

I've got Johnson, and it has served me well for several years with fairly regular use.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
My version is done completely by sleight of hand. It is very simple and to a layman looks exactly like the store bought item. In fact, I have fooled a lot of magicians with it.

I have owned several of the Johnson version and some by Sterling, I think. But I find it much better to be able to perform the routine with coins of the country you are visiting.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

MagiCanada
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver
140 Posts

Profile of MagiCanada
[quote]On 2007-05-13 08:50, pghdude80 wrote:
Quote:
I've got Johnson, and it has served me well for several years with fairly regular use.

Is there something wrong with your Johnson S&S now?

Neil
pghdude80
View Profile
New user
Pittsburgh
72 Posts

Profile of pghdude80
[quote]On 2007-05-13 16:49, MagiCanada wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-05-13 08:50, pghdude80 wrote:
Quote:

Is there something wrong with your Johnson S&S now?

Neil

No, it still works like a charm. I just don't do the effect that much anymore.

J
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I have a Johnson S&S somewhere, made with a 1964 Kennedy half. I have a couple of others as well. Howwever, during the early 1970's, I was sessioning with Jules de Barros on a regular basis. He was on a quest to do common gaffed coin tricks without any gaffs. I stumbled across the simple piece of sleight of hand that enabled me to perform this with coins from just about any country. Certain size and color relationships need to be observed, of course. The best part of it, though, is at the end of the routine, you can let the spectator drop the coins on a table and they ring like real coins, precisely because they ARE REAL COINS!

Amazing as it may sound, you can learn how to do this in just a few minutes. With an hour's practice, it will be very good. After you have done it for a couple of weeks, you will have a really great routine.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

pghdude80
View Profile
New user
Pittsburgh
72 Posts

Profile of pghdude80
Bill,

That sounds awesome. One of the reasons I like Silver, Copper, Brass is the clean finish. While S&S is fairly clean, the gaffed coin (in my case a Kennedy half) always struck me as a bit...well...gaffy. Most people I have done the trick for don't question it, but I've found that when magicians pull out a half dollar (or Chinese/Mexican coins), spectators become a bit suspicious...mainly because the coins are not all that common.

Ahh the beauties of sleights. I think your method would be interesting to learn, because (as you say) you can use common currency, and the spectator can scrutinize the coins to their heart's content.

J
munkywrench
View Profile
Loyal user
Conway, SC
298 Posts

Profile of munkywrench
Think of investments in your props like buying a new skate board. You can get the Walmart special and do pretty good. Buy a Birdhouse board with Independent trucks, Vision wheels and swiss bearings and tear the street or ramp up. Same with buying guitars Harmony is good but Gibson or ESP will make a difference. I know, I have done or am currently doing both. Instead of buying the trick of the week, save your money and get really good props.
Family Biz. https://www.facebook.com/dreamweaverconway/
Disciple of the Close-Up Kinda Guy PH.
Balloon Blast Video Show junkie.
Supporter of http://www.myrtlebeachmagician.com/
Retired Demo Dude
IBM #334 supporter
tnscot
View Profile
Loyal user
220 Posts

Profile of tnscot
Ok...one more question....I've seen a smaller version of s/s using a penny and dime offered. To me, it seems that using the currency of the country you are in will raise less suspicion, so that version seems attractive to me. With that in mind,are there any obvious or known problems with that smaller version?
As Always,
Scot Legdermain
pghdude80
View Profile
New user
Pittsburgh
72 Posts

Profile of pghdude80
Quote:
On 2007-05-17 10:14, tnscot wrote:
Ok...one more question....I've seen a smaller version of s/s using a penny and dime offered. To me, it seems that using the currency of the country you are in will raise less suspicion, so that version seems attractive to me. With that in mind,are there any obvious or known problems with that smaller version?

I don't own a penny/dime set, but I have had the chance to play with one. If it is made by a quality company, the gimmick will work fine...no problems to my knowledge. This is really a matter of personal preference. When I first started with coin magic, I didn't like the smaller coins because I found them difficult to hold and display effectively. I blamed it on my large hands, but it was really more because I had not practiced enough, and I was a little fumble-fingered.

I suggest you get a set, learn it well, and if you want to change the coins at a later date, you'll just have to think up a good excuse to spend more money on magic!

J
Prestidigitation Newbie
View Profile
New user
Knoxville, TN
7 Posts

Profile of Prestidigitation Newbie
I'm new here, never posted before, stumbled across this discussion about the Scotch & Soda routine, and would really like to learn the un-gimmicked version that Bill Palmer mentioned. Thanks...
Kbuck54
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of Kbuck54
Any dealer has a good S & S, you can't really go wrong. But, the ungimmicked is the way to go, for sure if you can pull it off.
SHAZAM!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Best affordable Scotch and Soda? (11 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL