The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Ade Duval's "Rhapsody in Silk" (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
FrankFindley
View Profile
Loyal user
296 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
I wonder who currently possesses Ade Duval's working set. The highly publicized set which went up for auction a few years back was most certainly not the one Ade used throughout his Vaudeville and later career. They were the wrong color, had the wrong style phantom gimmick, and the load gimmicks did not match what was in his published book. Furthermore they did not include the all important table, phantom tube box, ladles, or silks.

Here is Ade using a white phantom tube, the color of which is confirmed by multiple sources.

And here is the set which went up for auction.

Plus we have multiple contemporaneous reports in magic magazines that Ade sold the act in its entirety to Marcel et Petite who continued to perform it for quite some time. Note that the silk patterns in their photo match the designs used by Ade (e.g. on the Sphinx cover)

The auctioned set might have been the one that Ade used in the early convention shows as those were red, the angled P&L phantom gimmick would be correct, and it would explain absence of other apparatus and silk. He used typical servante magician tables in that early version. But the auction bundle included a P&L bullet gimmick (which he would avoid because of limited capacity), a later Louis Tannen manufactured blow tube (different method than he used at conventions), and a signed photo to a magic collector that conflicted with the suggested provenance. So I am skeptical.

I also would be interested in who now has the giant butterfly silk that he removed from the act after the convention run. He listed it for sale for $25.

Now that would have been a collectible bargain!
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1431 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Great research, Frank!
visit me @ JNealShow.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Ade Duval's "Rhapsody in Silk" (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL