The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Rubber shoes with a tux? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Lately I have been to several formal events that were black tie or white tie. The shocker for me has been adult males in formal dress wearing rubber or rubber soled shoes.

On stage I can sometimes write it off to the entertainer building a comic character or youth. I realize that many people don't even own a pair of leather shoes anymore, but to see guests at an exclusive country club wearing casual shoes with a formal tux at a very formal event is something I don't really understand. To see an entertainer not conforming to formal dress when appropriate is unforgivable.

Do they not know that there is a difference between “costuming” a comic character and correct formal dress?

Do realize that the tux rental places are not the place to get expert advice for formal wear. They rent more costumes to youths for school dances and parties than for adults and that they hire people who will never own a real tux. That is serving their customer base. For adults attending formal affairs, their advice could be very embarrassing.

Have the males as they aged not learned the difference in a costume for a school dance or party and adult formal dress? Shame, shame, shame!

As a performer for adults who do hold truly formal events it could really make live performers look “not ready for prime time” if they dress like the busboy. If we expect to entertain adults, dressing for the job is a basic requirement. Adult males need to own a pair of shoes with real leather soles for formal dress. It is the adult thing to do!

If the audience knows that you don’t know how to dress for the occasion, how seriously are they going to rate your act? It is certainly going to be seen as less than professional.

No wonder booking magicians into country clubs is in decline. They may not see us as adults!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Bob
If I'm a guest at a party I wear black loafers, but on stage, even when I'm wearing tails it is black sneakers with black sweat socks. I have two kinds, I wear swede van's indoors, and easy to clean high top Nikes outdoors. I don't think I can be effective jumping around on stage with leather soul dress shoes on.
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
But Al, that is part of your act. That's not the problem. To me the problem comes with thinking true formal dress includes rubber shoes.

Bob
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Bob
Be sure to tell Pavel I said hi.
Al Angello
afun14u
View Profile
Loyal user
Tennessee
249 Posts

Profile of afun14u
Bob,

I agree for the most part...I do think the shoe should match either the act or the dress! However, if you can find "Stacy Adams" or someother brand w/rubber soles it's much better for the health of your feet. Now, I will only wear Patten Leather but if the soles are rubber, I am good! I don't like the shoes like the ones you get at some stores like "Hot Topics" cool store but the 3" sole NOT good on stage! or off for that matter. Anyway I do think it's only about comfort.

See ya soon

Robert
Empowering Kingdom Growth through Evangelistic Entertainment!
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
I haven't seen sneakers with a tux since Professor Irwin Corey. I suppose it is much like the line George Gobel once delivered on the tonight show. He was the scheduled guest and there were walk ons by Bob Hope, Dean Martin, and others right in the middle of his time. He sort of got lost in the crowd. Finally when Johnny at last noticed him again George quipped "Did you ever feel like the whole world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?" If you are doing comedy I think such would probably fly, but serious black tie, the shoes don't fit. I sure wouldn't wear them with a tux. But then again, being clergy I never wear a tux, we have our own form of formal wear. (And any bishop would skin us alive if we wore rubber soled shoes with it)
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Photius,

Is that black tie or white tie?

Worrying about the soles of souls is likely a different department!

Old cowboys do know about being a pair brown boots in a world of tuxedos. George Gobel was from Oklahoma. I fondly remember Lonesome George. Way back when, I think we worked the Syrup Soppers Convention with Brother Dave Gardner together. (It was not a formal affair!)

Bob
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Father Photius
The dear professor Corey was one of my favorite Merv Griffin show guests, but he wore very conspicous high tops. Mine are low cut swede with black sweat socks. No one ever notices my foot wear, although the zany professor would be a suitable role model for me.
Al Angello
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
The only "low cut swede" I'd like to see...OHHH!...never mind!

Rubber soled shoes might be good to have on hand if you are not comfortable with your presentation of the "Electric Chair"!

FWIW

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Rockport makes a very good rubber soled shoe. They have a great selection at a very affordable price.

I believe comfort is key, but style has to play a part as well.

If I am doing three shows in a day, I'll wear rubber sole. If I am doing a formal show or receprion where I am walking around, I'll wear a more formal shoe with a hard sole.
The Great Danton
View Profile
Elite user
Westfield, North Carolina, USA
449 Posts

Profile of The Great Danton
As of now, I am still looking for a nice pair of leather soled shoes for performances. Right now, I am having to wear a pair of dress shoes with rubber soles, but I hope that no one I am performing for notices as much as I do.

Any suggestions for getting a nicer, better, more formal pair of shoes?

The Great Danton
"You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house."
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Al is still surprised that someone from Alabama wears shoes at all!

Al, every Sunday, we load the shoes in the truck and put them on at church. (That way they hardly ever wear out. But it always hurts when you wear them!)

Bubba Whodini

AKA: Bob Sanders
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Since this is Dead Elvis Week, blue suede shoes are OK. (Don't tell Stanyon that Elvis might not be alive. He's waiting for his next movie.)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1157 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
Quote:
On 2007-05-14 12:24, The Great Danton wrote:
As of now, I am still looking for a nice pair of leather soled shoes for performances. Right now, I am having to wear a pair of dress shoes with rubber soles, but I hope that no one I am performing for notices as much as I do.

Any suggestions for getting a nicer, better, more formal pair of shoes?

The Great Danton

check out the Allen Edmonds outlet store in Burlington N.C.
EggMagic
View Profile
New user
Lakeland, Fl
44 Posts

Profile of EggMagic
I always wear all black "sneakers" with my black suite ON STAGE, but when I step off to talk to people at the end, I go off stage for a moment and slip on formal dress shoes.
btedeski
View Profile
Veteran user
Pittsburgh PA
322 Posts

Profile of btedeski
One someone twists my arm sufficiently with Cash to get me into a tux.... $9.95 will just about cover it

I were black dress boots while performing, and white running shows after the show, Helps with the getaway after they see my act…

Ok black dress boots while performing, nice shinned black dress shoes while not performing.
Billy The Clown
www.BillyTheClown.com

Bill Tedeski
Pittsburgh PA

Were magic is just too funny....
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Just keep in mind that the audience will notice what you're wearing, even if they're not consciously aware of it... and it will lead to how they perceive you.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
A performer needs to attend to every detail, from the top of their head to their feet. This seems like a clique, but it’s true. That detail may be part of the character. You may want to look that way. If you do, then that detail needs to be thought out. Hap hazard is unacceptable no matter what the excuse.

Like I said, if it’s in the character. But please, if you are trying to be a classy magician and you wear a tux, please take note of your socks and shoes. You may not think people notice, but they do. If you are dressed nice and everything is in order, they notice it even more if your wing tip color is tucked under your tie. Neatness counts.
Rodney Palmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of Rodney Palmer
Bob just some FYI, as far as shoes are concerned. To look at me I look normal (at least my wife says I Do) but one does not know that I have 3 Herniated Disc's in my Neck and 3-Herniated Disc's in my lower back. My Left Foot is always numb due to nerve damage from the disc's. In my case, even in Formal Wear, Black Tie Events I have to wear Rockport Casual Shoes that look somewhat like a tennis shoe but are nicer looking in my opinion. So that may be a possible case scenerio with some of the other people that you have mentioned. Most people look normal but could have severe medical problems.

Rodney
"Creating Memories That Last A Lifetime"

In order to keep "MAGIC ALIVE" Please become a Mentor to a Young Person.
Christian & Katalina
View Profile
Elite user
407 Posts

Profile of Christian & Katalina
Quote:
On 2007-10-13 00:13, George Ledo wrote:
Just keep in mind that the audience will notice what you're wearing, even if they're not consciously aware of it... and it will lead to how they perceive you.

Bingo, I can't agree more.

Christian & Katalina
Milbourne Christopher Award for Mentalism 2011
The Annemann Award for Menatalism 2016
Author of "Protoplasm" Close-up Mentalism
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Rubber shoes with a tux? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL