We Remember The Magic Cafť We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. Ľ Ľ Expert at the Card Table 7 DVD Set by Wesley James (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14447 Posts

Profile of Review King
MJM Magic has these: http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/expert-at-......393.html

Wesley James talks about them and his association with Magic Makers here:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......;forum=2

Here's what they contain:
Underground card expert, Wesley James, is finally releasing the real work on Erdnase, and so much more! On this seven DVD set you will not only see everything from the book, but also learn to perfect it from a master teacher. In addition, Wesley gives you his own handlings and insights on the moves; with co-host, Simon Lovell, he will guide you step by step through the ground-breaking text that made Erdnase a legend.

Esteemed sleight-of-hand artiste, Wesley James, is proud to release the full details...

DVD ONE

HISTORY OF THE BOOK

DVD TWO

ERDNASE SYSTEM OF BLIND SHUFFLES
I. To Retain Top Stock
II. To Retain Top Stock and Shuffle Whole Deck
III. To Retain Bottom Stock and Shuffle Whole Deck
ERDNASE SYSTEM OF BLIND RIFFLES & CUTS
I. To Retain Top Stock
II. To Retain Bottom Stock
BLIND RIFFLES
BLIND CUTS
I. To Retain Bottom Stock . Top Losing One Card
II. To Retain Complete Stock
III. To Retain Top Stock
IV. To Retain Bottom Stock
V. Combination Riffle and Cuts
FANCY BLIND CUTS
I. To Retain Complete Stock
II. To Retain Complete Stock
FANCY TRUE CUT. ONE HANDED
TO INDICATE THE LOCATION FOR THE CUT
I. By Crimp
II. By Jog
III. By Crimp
IV. By Jog
BOTTOM DEALING
Top and Bottom Dealing. One Hand
TOP & BOTTOM DEALING WITH ONE HAND
SECOND DEALING
ORDINARY METHODS OF STOCKING, LOCATING & SECURING
STOCK SHUFFLE
ERDNASE SYSTEM OF STOCK SHUFFLING
Two Card Stock
Three Card Stock
Four Card Stock
Five Card Stock
Twelve Card Stock
Euchre Stock
Euchre Stock
ERDNASE SYSTEM OF CULL SHUFFLING
To Cull Two Cards
To Cull Three Cards
To Cull Four Cards
To Cull Nine Cards

DVD THREE

ERDNASE SYSTEM OF PALMING
Top Palm, First Method
Top Palm, Second Method
Bottom Palm, First Method
Bottom Palm Second Method
Bottom Palm when Cards are Riffled
TO MAINTAIN THE BOTTOM PALM WHILE DEALING
TO HOLD THE LOCATION OF CUT WHILE DEALING
SHIFTS
Two-Handed Shift
Erdnase Shift, One Hand
Erdnase Shift, Two Hands
TO ASCERTAIN THE TOP CARDS WHILE RIFFLING AND RESERVE THEM AT BOTTOM
MODE OF HOLDING THE HAND
SKINNING THE HAND
THE PLAYER WITHOUT AND ALLY
Dealing Without the Cut
Replacing the Cut as Before
Holding Out for the Cut
Shifting the Cut
Dealing Too Many
Crimping for the Cut
Replacing Palm when Cutting
The Short Deck
THREE CARD MONTE
Mexican Monte

DVD FOUR - LEGERDEMAIN - PART ONE

SHIFTS
Single-Handed Shift
The Longitudinal Shift
The Open Shift
The S.W.E. Shift
The Diagonal Shift
THE BLIND SHUFFLE FOR SECURING SELECTED CARD
FORCING
PALMING
The Back Palm
CHANGES
The Top Change
The Bottom Change
The Palm Change
The Double Palm Change
TRANSFORMATIONS. TWO HANDS
First Method
Second Method
Third Method
Fourth Method
Fifth Method
Sixth Method
TRANSFORMATIONS. ONE HAND
First Method
Second Method

DVD FIVE - LEGERDEMAIN - PART TWO

BLIND SHUFFLES. RETAINING ENTIRE ORDER
First Method
Second Method
Third Method
Fourth Method
Fifth Method
METHODS FOR DETERMINING A CARD THOUGHT OF
A. By The Riffle
B, By Springing Flourish
C. By the Cut
D. By the Gaze
TO GET SIGHT OF SELECTED CARD
THE SLIDE
FAVORITE SLEIGHTS FOR TERMINATING TRICKS
Catching Two Cards at Finger-ends
Leaving Selected Card in Hand of Spectator
The Revolution
Cards Rising from the Hand

DVD SIX - ACT I - FOR YOUR HEART

THE ACROBATIC JACKS
THE CARD AND HANDKERCHIEF
THE CARD AND HAT
THE TRAVELING CARDS
THE THREE ACES
THE ACME OF CONTROL
THE INVISIBLE FLIGHT
THE EXCLUSIVE COTERIE

DVD SEVEN - ACT II - FOR YOUR MIND

A MIND READING TRICK
THE ROW OF TEN CARDS
THE PREARRANGED DECK
POWER OF CONCENTRATED THOUGHT
THE TOP & BOTTOM PRODUCTION
THE DIVINING ROD
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
For those not familiar with Wesley James let me tell you he is one of the great treasures in our art. He is of the old school of Vernon and Marlo and was a working professional in trade show magic and high level social magic. He is also an intellectual with a PhD who really looks at and understands magic. His book Enchantments is one of the best card magic books I've seen and he is the creator of the theme, not just a version, the actual plot, of the merged card aka Anniversary Waltz for you Eason fans. While I've not seen the product in question the fact that Wesley in involved legitimizes it and I think that his association with Magic Makers may, at the end, cause Rob Stiff to become more aware of responsible business practices and MM also made available their excellent production skills.... I really look forward to seeing what Wes has put out, it is really cool that he is on DVD now after I've read so much of his material.
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5355 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
I just received my set this afternoon and I am very excited to begin working my way through the material. I'm already a fan of Mr. James and have come to expect an exceptional level of quality and detail in his work. Now with 7 DVDs and another 6 issues of MOJO to look forward to I may finally have my appetite appeased, at least for the time being.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Seattle....Stephen Minch is in Seattle I think....ask him if Wes' coin magic book is still coming out. I needs me some James!
munkywrench
View Profile
Loyal user
Conway, SC
287 Posts

Profile of munkywrench
Magiguy,
Tell me how Mr. Lovell is on this series. I loved his Packet Killer stuff as well as the odd stuff on Youtube.
Family Biz. https://www.facebook.com/dreamweaverconway/
Disciple of the Close-Up Kinda Guy PH.
Balloon Blast Video Show junkie.
Supporter of http://www.myrtlebeachmagician.com/
Retired Demo Dude
IBM #334 supporter
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5355 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Quote:
On 2007-05-14 20:55, MagicSanta wrote:
Seattle....Stephen Minch is in Seattle I think....ask him if Wes' coin magic book is still coming out. I needs me some James!

I bump into him every now and then. I'll see what I can do...

Quote:
On 2007-05-14 20:56, munkywrench wrote:
Magiguy,
Tell me how Mr. Lovell is on this series. I loved his Packet Killer stuff as well as the odd stuff on Youtube.

I need a few days (if not a week) to get through my initial viewing. I'll certainly post some thoughts as I make my way through.
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
Quote:
On 2007-05-14 20:55, MagicSanta wrote:

The book is, I believe, fully written and in Stephen's hands (and it's general close-up, not just coins). It's just a matter of when it comes up in the queue of all the books in his schedule.

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 17th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Thank you Jim. Wes had mentioned a couple years ago he was going coins, general magic is better!
in flames
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto
1028 Posts

Profile of in flames
Chris! You changed your name!
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14447 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2007-05-15 17:18, in flames wrote:
Chris! You changed your name!

Whatch you talk'in 'bout Willis????
:rotf:

J Wessmiller
View Profile
Veteran user
VA
305 Posts

Profile of J Wessmiller
I purchased this set of DVDís as soon as I heard they were available. I am one of the biggest erdnase fans out there and my collection includes many editions and every annotation of this classic work. Wesley James is one of the most knowledgeable card men I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. But Magic Makers? Letís just say weíll save that for another conversation and focus on reviewing this DVD set of Expert at the Card Table.

When the DVDís came in the mail, I canceled any appointments and became a hermit. I watched every minute of the seven DVDs with a copy of the book and deck of cards in hand. I had a pen and paper handy so I could write this review and scrutinize every move Wesley did. After all, he had to expect as much from any hardcore Erdnase fan!

Did I find any mistakes? Not any that Iím ballzy enough to post in this review. Wesleyís a big guy. Buy the set, watch it, and PM me if interested. ĎNuf said.

Wesley did amazingly well with the moves. His handling is not perfect, but for someone to perfect all these sleights is truly impossible. Go read the explanation of the Open Shift and try to do it deceptively. You canít- and donít bother lying in your blog about it. Donít expect the impossible, but do expect to learn a huge amount of material from a top class old school magician. Some angels leave you desiring a bit more and it seems the producers play it a bit safer then they need to. Some things always look good from a certain angle- Iíd like to see it from the realistic angles that arenít so surefire like I know Wesley can.

The quality of the DVDís is very high with a crisp picture. Some explanations, tricks, and conversations with Lovell look like they were meshed a bit together in editing. But with so much footage, you canít complain that much. The biggest drawback in production was the wiring of the lav mics outside of the clothing making it difficult for the performers to use their full range of motion. Also check the Erdnase quotes- ďcutrail the annual crop of suckersĒ? Somebodyís watch keeps beeping through the DVDís as well, but now Iím just splitting hairs. You can see everything you need to see and hear everything you need to hear. You do realize this thing is longer than the Lord of the Rings trilogy, right?! Heís going through 205 pages of material!

Lovell and Wesley have a great chemistry that make this DVD easy to watch. You can tell they are friends and are both extremely passionate about the material. Sometimes it feels like you are just sitting in on a session between the two. Sometimes that session goes on for a little longer than Iíd like (11 minutes for a top change is a bit long for my taste) but it boils down to them giving you more for your money then just Erdnase. The two add color changes, switches, palms, passes, and much much more. The best move I got out the videos that wasnít in Erdnase is Wesleyís handling of false shuffle #3- A false cascade in the hands riffle shuffle! But itís not for the faint of heart. Also the Slydini touch on transformation #2 is a thing of beauty. What do you think I was lying about taking notes?

Wesley showed me several things about Erdnase that I didnít know, and taught me some brand new moves that Iíd never seen before. This set is the best magic investment Iíve made in a long time, and I spend money like a rock star on magic.

You even learn the proper names for the joints on your fingers!

Great job Wesley and thanks so much for putting so much hard work into studying Erdnase and sharing it with us. In the meantime- Iím off to study some more!
be well,
JW
Think you know Erdnase? Take my quiz

http://wessmiller.blogspot.com
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
Erdnase mentions briefly the three card monte move called the drop (not sure of the exact name but instead of hyping the card it looks like you just set it down). When I dealt the game there was another dealer who did this. He knew I was a dealer but we never actually talked.

He would just do his drop (instead of the hype) and watch me turn every color in envy. He really enjoyed showing off to me.

Whit talks about the drop...does this DVD do anything with it?
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14447 Posts

Profile of Review King
The Magic Makers Royal Road DVD set was "ok" in comparrison to Paul Wilson's brilliant set from L&L. Looks like that will happen here as well after Ackerman releases his set? Time will tell.

Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4929 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Quote:
On 2007-05-28 02:43, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
The Magic Makers Royal Road DVD set was "ok" in comparrison to Paul Wilson's brilliant set from L&L. Looks like that will happen here as well after Ackerman releases his set? Time will tell.

I'm sorry but I cannot watch Alan Ackerman for any length of time without spacing out. He's so dry. Troy Hoosier is another person that sends me to Lala land.

I know they are super talented guys, but I just can't take their low key voices.

How is Wesley James on these sets? I'm sure with Simon Lovell its pretty exciting.
James
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
J Wessmiller
View Profile
Veteran user
VA
305 Posts

Profile of J Wessmiller
Wesley James is excellent in this set. Lovell and James have a great chemistry.
be well,
JW
Think you know Erdnase? Take my quiz

http://wessmiller.blogspot.com
Magicmatt1982
View Profile
Loyal user
Southeren IL
296 Posts

Profile of Magicmatt1982
Quote:
On 2007-05-14 20:17, MagicSanta wrote:
For those not familiar with Wesley James let me tell you he is one of the great treasures in our art. He is of the old school of Vernon and Marlo and was a working professional in trade show magic and high level social magic. He is also an intellectual with a PhD who really looks at and understands magic. His book Enchantments is one of the best card magic books I've seen and he is the creator of the theme, not just a version, the actual plot, of the merged card aka Anniversary Waltz for you Eason fans. While I've not seen the product in question the fact that Wesley in involved legitimizes it and I think that his association with Magic Makers may, at the end, cause Rob Stiff to become more aware of responsible business practices and MM also made available their excellent production skills.... I really look forward to seeing what Wes has put out, it is really cool that he is on DVD now after I've read so much of his material.

I have worked with Rob after wesley has been there. and still to this day he is still ripping thing off. Check these "new" Tricky Bottles. http://magicmakersinc.com/magictricks/trickbottles.html Can you say RIP OFF
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Keep in mind I think very highly of Wes James, Rob Stiff is a wreck of a human who looks for ways around ethics to put money in his pocket. His company has the equipment and gave Wes access to it and I can't blame Wes for anything Stiff does. Wes spoke with Stiff, tried to explain to him how he erred, but Stiff doesn't see thinks the way most of us do. Like I said, I hoped Wes would make him more responsible, I guess it didn't work but do not think that at any time or in any way I approve of or support the nonsense pulled by Rob Stiff and company. At the same time I will not contribute the same lack of ethics to guys like Randy Wakeman, Simon Lovell, or Wes James...all three are good guys in the art and in a way I hope they were just using Stiff for that wonderful production equipment.

It does concern me that Wes' supporters, which I am one, who have commented on the DVD's (I've not seen them) give it a thumbs up while the anti Wes crew, and there are plenty, complain about it while not seeing it. Let's face it, the real world of magic is divided by Maui Taco guys and Cafť Rustico guys, I'm a Cafť Rustico guy and the rest of you have to decide where you stand. Oh, if you are both you are likely really want to be a Rustico guy but are scared.
Jeff Corn
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1190 Posts

Profile of Jeff Corn
I know for a fact that Rob doesn't see himself as doing anything wrong. He's just turned a blind eye too it. He carries the history of most of his props in his PDA, seemingly.

Whatever my feelings on the company, this set is by far the best thing I've seen them release. Putting Simon and Wesley in a room together with cards and telling them to "play" is something that should have happened years ago.
Yes, that is my real name. Yes, I am a real person. No, you probably won't agree with me.
Magicmatt1982
View Profile
Loyal user
Southeren IL
296 Posts

Profile of Magicmatt1982
Well I have talked to Rob Stiff as well. I was surpost to have a DVD coming out with him in feb of this year. IT is shot and everything. The first time I was there Rob told me that he was going to be cleaning up his act. Gusse what he has not. THe last time I was there he was telling about everything is going to be ripping off.( if you only new) .I am working right now on going with someone else for my projects. Simon , WEs , Randy are great guys and do not blame them . I went with Rob for the same reason. He has a great studio and the videos look great. I wish now that I went with someone at the begining.
rubadubdub
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of rubadubdub
Three little words-wait for Ackermann.................
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. Ľ Ľ Expert at the Card Table 7 DVD Set by Wesley James (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.32 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL