We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Expert at the Card Table 7 DVD Set by Wesley James (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
It always takes two to make a video. One guy in front of the camera, the other behind it. Both are involved, and both reap the harvest . . .
Cards never lie
magician8
View Profile
Veteran user
384 Posts

Profile of magician8
I was going to get this dvd, but the price is a bit high for me right now, so I'll just have to wait.
Anyway, I've hard this dvd is great and I'm a great fan of Erdnase and Simon Lovell.

A.S.E
Magicmatt1982
View Profile
Loyal user
Southeren IL
296 Posts

Profile of Magicmatt1982
Quote:
On 2007-06-22 18:17, Andy the cardician wrote:
It always takes two to make a video. One guy in front of the camera, the other behind it. Both are involved, and both reap the harvest . . .

YEs but on my DVD I told Rob to have a credit page at the end. I have gone to great length to give credit to the right people. I will agree on you when a DVD like the Reserve was made. Ben Salinas did get hit because he was the face on the DVD. but with me I have talked to a lot of people to to the right thing as much as I can. I also am ready for the back hit from as well .
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1679 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
MagicSanta wrote: "Let's face it, the real world of magic is divided by Maui Taco guys and Café Rustico guys."

I confess my ignorance as to what this means.
RC4MAG
View Profile
Special user
552 Posts

Profile of RC4MAG
Quote:
On 2007-06-30 13:46, Ray Haining wrote:
MagicSanta wrote: "Let's face it, the real world of magic is divided by Maui Taco guys and Café Rustico guys."

I confess my ignorance as to what this means.

I agree. I have no clue what he he trying to say either.

I am from New York and Wes has a very good reputation amongst all the magicians here no matter where they decide to go for lunch on a Saturday afternoon.
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1679 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
When you said New York, where I'm originally from, that rang a bell.

In New York there used to be a restaurant where magicians would meet on Saturday mornings. All kinds of magicians would show up there, from David Roth to Harry Lorayne to Francis Carlyle (we're talking about the early 1970s here).

I had heard that there are now two restaurants where these meetings take place, one headed by Wesley James, the other by Doug Edwards, of "Packs a Wallop" fame, the implication being that the two are not that friendly with each other.

I'm not sure if I got the "leaders" of these two groups correct, but maybe that is what MagicSanta is referring to.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
3370 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-06-29 21:32, Magicmatt1982 wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-06-22 18:17, Andy the cardician wrote:

YEs but on my DVD I told Rob to have a credit page at the end. I have gone to great length to give credit to the right people. I will agree on you when a DVD like the Reserve was made. Ben Salinas did get hit because he was the face on the DVD. but with me I have talked to a lot of people to to the right thing as much as I can. I also am ready for the back hit from as well .

Matt,

I appreciate and respect your openness.

Andy
Cards never lie
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
3370 Posts

BTW, this set now is part of a current free-bonus promotion at PM. Amazing, I have to say.
Cards never lie
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
3370 Posts

And it is now no longer available . . .
Cards never lie
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14447 Posts

Profile of Review King
Penguin has a sale through July 6th. Order $150 and you can get Expert at the Card Table 7 DVD Set by Wesley James for free.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/promotions.php
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
3370 Posts

Chris,

it is no longer available . . .
Cards never lie
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14447 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2007-07-06 02:07, Andy the cardician wrote:
Chris,

it is no longer available . . .

It was a sweet deal. No wonder they sold out.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Tufrmone
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Tufrmone
All in all I would very strongly recommend the Wesley James Expert at the Card Table DVD set as the second one of two absolutely necessary DVD sets to beginning and intermediate card magicians. The first set, being the 5 DVD set by R. Paul Wilson, The Royal Road to Card Magic, the more basic of the two.

These two sets are excellent methods for learning basic through advanced card manipulation skill. Neither are very strong on presentation, patter, style, inflection and audience control. For that I'd look to teachers like Daryl, and Rene Levand. But only, only after I completely mastered The Royal Road to Card Magic and The Expert at the Card Table DVD Sets.

I'd also strongly recommend the The Expert at the Card Table DVD set for for anyone who wants to throughly understand Erdanse. Every magician owns this book, very have read it through and through. Fewer have really learned what's in it.

I have been working with the The Expert at the Card Table 7 DVD set for about a week or so. The set is well done and clear and complete in technique demonstration (for the most part). There are a couple of minor issues which are unimportant and repeated viewings clear up the ambiquities.

I primarily purchased the set to learn the Erdenase overhand stacking system. It is well presented. My previous attempts to work through the system with the book some years ago were unsuccessful. Over a one to two day period with the set, I did get a good hold on the system and the rest is simply practice to make it rote and second nature.

The rest of the effects in the set are equally well presented. I do think the two "Acts" at the end of the series are the weakest part of the book and hence the weakest part of the series when you view it in terms of modern card magic. But one doesn't learn Erdenase for the "Acts" anyway. In any case, both "Acts" Heart and Mental are very useful in terms of learning the techniques in a practical, ongoing and fluid fashion.

Personally I don't particularly care for the chemistry between Lowell and James. Simon Lowell's technique contributions to the set were good. In contrast, I found Lowell's attempts at humor to be more than a little annoying. Nor do I know or care about Rob Stiff and Magic Makers to any degree. Something that has seemed to pre-occupy a number of the other posters.

All in all I'd very very strongly recommend the set.

Tufr
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Noobini
Now that I have heard about this expired free offer (too late as usual) it suddenly seems less attractive to buy the set for $90. If I hadn't known, it would have been a reasonable price. But now... Hmmm. Will there be future offers like this, I ask myself.

And what is this Ackerman set everybody seems to know something about? Decitions decitions...

Actually the comments about the humor is a little off-putting. I'm slowly developing an allergy towards magicians who have decided that they are also standup comedians. I mean... I'm not against humor in magic but it often becomes a bit too much. Especially after repeated viewing.
"Talk about melodrama... and being born in the wrong part of the world." (Raf Robert)
"You, my friend, have a lot to learn." (S. Youell)
"Nonsensical Raving of a lunatic mind..." (Larry)
Paul H
View Profile
Inner circle
UK South Coast
1126 Posts

Profile of Paul H
I think this DVD set is excellent. I find Wesley James charismatic and a superb teacher and interpreter of the Edrnase book. Together with Simon Lovell he sheds fresh insight on the Erdnase methods and many ancilliary tips on card handling. This set really is a tour-de-force whether you are a beginner or advanced cardician. It gets my highest recommendation. Well done to both of these worthy gentlemen.

Regards,

Paul H
rondasue
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of rondasue
I have the set. it is very good. walking through Erdnase, seeing some of the more obscure parts of the book, is helpful. I can pass on some of the ingratiating humor, and, I have volume control.
EricDraven
View Profile
Inner circle
1240 Posts

Profile of EricDraven
Yeah got these in the halloween special from penguin for free...arrived today...eager to check those out...
Believe me...nothing is trivial...
rubadubdub
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of rubadubdub
COMING SOON.... A C K E R M A N.............. PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
ragingoptimist
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of ragingoptimist
I've never heard of this Ackerman project before today. When will it be out?
Tim Jahn
View Profile
Special user
South Florida
911 Posts

Profile of Tim Jahn
Quote:
On 2008-03-20 03:11, ragingoptimist wrote:
I've never heard of this Ackerman project before today. When will it be out?

Unbelievably enough, At my local magic shop a few weeks ago, I met a wonderful gent by the name of Rob. Rob, The proprietor of the shop, And myself stood and talked for what must have been at least three hours. During this time I watched Rob perform some awe inspiring things with a deck of cards. I mean..This guy was really great! One of the best I've seen. Anyway, During our conversation, He brought up the fact that he and Ackerman have been close friends for years and he also brought up the new DVD set on Erdnase. This was the first that I had heard about it and I asked him quite a few questions. Apparently Rob was actually there for part of the filming and had seen some of the finished video. All he could really tell me was that he thinks its going to be a great interpretation of the classic work and will defiantly be something that I should pick up if I love the book. He also said that he knew that filming had been completed, But couldn't give me any kind of a date as at that point Ackerman didn't even know himself. (What with post-production and the like). He did say that he was sure it would be out before the fall. So more than likely that means before the holidays.

From as enthusiastic as Rob was telling me about this I can only assume that its going to be a great set. I've been trying to catch him at the shop but so far he hasn't been back in. (Just to watch him perform a little more). If I do catch up to him I'll be sure to ask him for an update and if he knows anything more.

I for one am pretty exited about this and I'm looking forward to it.

Tim
Andrew, (ASW)
The effects on the DVD and lecture notes are far beyond your abilities. (They require mastery of the mechanic's grip.) It would only break your heart.
Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz.......(This post has got to be in my top 5.)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Expert at the Card Table 7 DVD Set by Wesley James (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL