The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Haters (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
There's a not-too-fine line between being helpful and being a jerk. When someone posts asking for help with someone, there's always the option to ignore the post altogether. I don't think that anyone is "entitled" to the answers he's looking for, but when someone asks for helpe reasonably politely, I don't think there's really any good reason for someone who isn't going to help to respond to the post and be a jerk about it. Possible responses to requests:
1. Ignore it (perfectly reasonable)
2. Help the person out (perfectly reasonable)
3. Put up a post in response indicating, as cleverly as possible, that you're not going to help (you're probably a jerk).
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20485 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I do find this amusing. I like Santa am old enough to remember the "earned" knowlege. Where you kind of "proved" you were worth the knowlege in the first place. Not a bad system really.

Why are we "giving away" information anyhow to anyone who happens to know how to type? We have no idea who is getting it.

Now I am very helpfull, and quite guilty of being a smart ass. But again I find it odd people ask for free advice and then question the manner in which it was provided to them. How crazy is that?

Back in the day go ask Eddie Tulloch a question he didn't think you had earned the answer to. His view was if you had to ask the question, you didn't deserve the answer. That is a quote.

So to consider everyones "feelings" about free advice, is not something we should have to do.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2164 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Quote:
On 2007-05-15 20:44, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
If we treat this craft as a learning experience we can get along much better. Just have to leave off the arrogance and demands for others to see us as clever.

Well that would put David Alexander out of work.
For quality Paul Fox Cups spun on Danny Dew's Paul Fox tooling visit us at www.airshipmagic.com
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
I soften my Morgan by looking at Rosie O'Donnel...not very magical, still...
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
The most frustrating thing is that the smart a**es are the amatures who have nothing constructive to say anyway. If you remember the threads that have been erased recently, I question if any of those angry boys are magicians at all. I've always thought that in order to be a magician you need both an imagination, and a sense of humor, but when you go on, and on about talk radio personalities it is apparent to me that you have niether.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Wait. What is the question, again?
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
"I've always thought that in order to be a magician you need both an imagination, and a sense of humor, but when you go on, and on about talk radio personalities it is apparent to me that you have niether."

When posting in an area the likes of, "Not very magical, still..." we could discuss magic theory, but, that would be ... magical.
Now, if I go to a close-up forum, and the conversation morphs into chatter about talk show hosts, I'd be a little hacked off. Nevertheless, you're only one click away from the forum that you want to be in; especially, if your humor and imagination are at risk of being lost to the ether.
POOF!
munkywrench
View Profile
Loyal user
Conway, SC
295 Posts

Profile of munkywrench
Quote:
On 2007-05-16 16:22, Muckey Spleen wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-05-14 23:02, munkywrench wrote:
So many times I see people asking for help on this site and others being smart asses about answering the questions. Don't hate. Knowledge is the most dangerous weapon in the world. The time you spend responding in a negative way could in fact be used to help someone in their pursuit of knowledge. Searching can be easy but, might not be as easy as it seems. I tried looking for softening my Morgans and I found great info but I had to look really hard to find the answers to my questions. The Café' is here to help us in magic not make us computer gurus. Posting a link to another post is fine. Just don't hate on someone seeking help.

Poor little guy. You had to "look really hard" for something? What an overdeveloped sense of entitlement you have. Lucky for you you're able to label those who don't fall all over themselves to help you "haters," thereby assigning yourself the moral high ground. Nice job!

Don't throw stones. I'm not "a little guy". Those who know me can tell you that I was corn fed. Check my post count, I have given help as well as recieved it. Stick to ******bating, and golf. Glad I stirred the pot. I agree you need to prove your self to get help...but don't be a d**k about it.
Family Biz. https://www.facebook.com/dreamweaverconway/
Disciple of the Close-Up Kinda Guy PH.
Balloon Blast Video Show junkie.
Supporter of http://www.myrtlebeachmagician.com/
Retired Demo Dude
IBM #334 supporter
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
My guess is that the post (by Munky) preceding this one won't be up too long, but while it's there, I wanted to say that I think he's got a point.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Was there a point to this thread?
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Tsk, tsk, tsk
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20485 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I also think part of the problem is that the internet does not allow for emotion. As people we seem to add them at random and worse yet as we see fit. We assume the emotion and intent.

This causes as many problems as anything really.

Also I can see the frustration of having an honest to goodness question about something. Then getting a flippant answer, and all you did was ask. IT BITES, and in retrospect I have been guilty of putting this on people and do appologise. Seriously.

I think the thing we need to keep in mind, (ME TOO!) is that until we were told what the answer is to what is being asked, we were just as ignorant as the person asking. I have of late started to put myself in THAT pair of shoes. It does take some of the edge off of posts. (IGNORANT not being insulting by the way, just meaning not having the knowlege is all)

I will also say this, anyone who says there is no such thing as a dumb question, has never been to a magic lecture.

Also I don't really like the "do a search" answer. 90% of all topics here could be answered with that exact post. It serves no real purpose in my view.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
"90% of all topics here could be answered with that exact post."

CORRECTION: 99% of the questions have already been answered tenfold, use this magnificent search engine or Google it first.
POOF!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20485 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
LOL sorry guilty as charged.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Okay, let me see if we have this straight.
1) prior to asking a question or making a comment a search should be done and if said question was asked or comment made then it should not be posted.
2) we more experienced magicians owe the newby magicians answers to their questions but should also ensure we do so as sweetly and gently as possible.
3) If we don't answer sweetly and gently and how the questioner, who has completed his/her search, desires we are aweful people.

Does that about cover it?
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2007-05-17 19:44, MagicSanta wrote:
Okay, let me see if we have this straight.
1) prior to asking a question or making a comment a search should be done and if said question was asked or comment made then it should not be posted.
2) we more experienced magicians owe the newby magicians answers to their questions but should also ensure we do so as sweetly and gently as possible.
3) If we don't answer sweetly and gently and how the questioner, who has completed his/her search, desires we are aweful people.

Does that about cover it?

Nope. See my earlier post regarding #2 & #3. You don't owe anyone anything. But IF you choose to respond to the post, and you do so sarcastically and WITHOUT answering a polite request for help, then you're probably a jerk.

Help, or don't help. But don't gratuitously be a weenie. DannyDoyle's post a few back said it very well, I think.

Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Danny Doyle is not a weenie. Shame on you Lobo.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Doug, I do not think that Lobo said that.
Cards never lie
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
There are two types of people in this world: (1) people that raise themselves up by working hard, and (2) people that raise themselves up by standing on the backs of those they push down. Pushing down the inexperienced to make yourself look better is not the legacy I want attached to my name.

Everybody should just be nice to everybody else.

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Is the person happy with the suggestions about getting soft coins?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Haters (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL