The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Best closeup tricks for a beginner (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Mark Wilden
View Profile
Veteran user
San Francisco
375 Posts

Profile of Mark Wilden
I'm hearing Mark Wilson lecture tonight! Really looking forward to it.

///ark
Andrew McMillan
View Profile
New user
Melbourne Australia
62 Posts

Profile of Andrew McMillan
Thanks for the posts everyone. I too have Mark Wilson's book which was given to me for my 13th birthday and I'm starting to go through it again. Has anyone tried the magic paddles? I can't believe that an audience wouldn't realise a knife is facing the same way when rotated forward and top to bottom. Love the card section though, although too be honest, I posted this 'post' initially as I'm trying to get away from just cards and use other found or constructed objects etc

Andrew
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
Another great book series to add to this list is the Karl Fulves Self Working series. These books from Dover cover a wide variety of topics, not just card tricks.

Another source would be Scarne's book on magic tricks.

To look at anything that Dover has, go to http://www.doverpublishing.com

One good book that I recently purchased has been Aldo Colombini's Simply Impromp2 book of card tricks. While many are self working, many others are not. But they are there and relatively easy to perform when you're ready to do them.
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
GWSchott
View Profile
Veteran user
Southeastern Michigan
361 Posts

Profile of GWSchott
My vote goes to the Invisible Deck in conjunction with the Outlaw wallet...spec chooses a card, writes it down on a slip of paper and the paper is tucked away in a wallet between two other cards. Seems fair (at least to the spectator). Then you open the ID and reveal the spectator's card as the only card face down. Trust me...this one KILLS if you do it right, even though it might sound corny. I had a woman literally scream when I revealed her card. It was classic. But even if you don't use the Outlaw the ID is still an awesome gimmick. I'd recommend making your own.
Yours In Magic,
Gordon
Johnny Butterfield
View Profile
Veteran user
378 Posts

Profile of Johnny Butterfield
Quote:
On 2007-05-16 18:32, AndyMac68 wrote:
Has anyone tried the magic paddles? I can't believe that an audience wouldn't realise a knife is facing the same way when rotated forward and top to bottom.

Well, the colour changing knives killed a bunch of kids at a barbecue last weekend, and it's not dissimilar to a paddle kinda move.

Heh, the knives killed. Get it?
The current economic crisis is due to all the coins I've vanished.
The poster formerly known as Fman111.
tnscot
View Profile
Loyal user
220 Posts

Profile of tnscot
Quote:
On 2007-05-15 13:32, Hearttau wrote:
You can't go wrong with the above. I picked up an easy great looking effect just yesterday at Fantasma. It's their "Ring-Scape" or ring through rope. Here's a link to the demo.

That's a great effect. How do you like it so far?
As Always,
Scot Legdermain
61magic
View Profile
Special user
Sacramento California
763 Posts

Profile of 61magic
Andrew, stay away from the "magic set" type stuff. People will not take you serious enough if you pull our a bunch of plastic stuff.
Remember the top 5 WOW tricks for one person may not fit the personality for another. You will need to pick the best 5 you can do and make them your WOW items.
That said, there are a ton of packet tricks that use little if any sleights and are quick learners, like b-wave, or twisted sisters.
Look for the Fulves books on self working magic, they are a great source for non-sleight magic.
Many of the gimmicked coin magic does not need sleights. The pen through bill is mechanical but totally natural looking.
Also there are a lot of mental effects that use little in the way of apparatus or sleights.
As alwasy your best value is in books, you get a ton of information and a lot of tricks to pick from for the same cost as a couple of packages tricks.
Good luck
Professor J. P. Fawkes
sweetskulls
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of sweetskulls
Lennart Green's light dvd has a trick called Eye of the Storm,quite easy to learn the basic trick & his patter is adaptable to other scenarios.Plus,you get to see a magic artist at work.Great.
mindhunter
View Profile
Inner circle
Upstate NY
2167 Posts

Profile of mindhunter
SWEET! I made this list at #120 ("The BusinessCOIN Prediction!")

Thanks!

Bryn
*QUARANTINE SPECIAL!!!*
"The Safwan Papers" & "The LOGAR Scrolls Mentalism ebooks - Now just $20 each!

Just PayPal to:
bryn@darkmountainarts.com
(No PayPal account? Just shoot me your email and I'll send you an invoice that can be paid with any card.)

REVIEWS:
" The Safwan Papers":
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=253272&forum=15

"THE LOGAR SCROLLS":
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=464100&forum=303&70

Browse my Artwork!
https://www.darkmountainarts.com
Facebook & Instagram: #DarkMountainArts
Barrett_James
View Profile
Loyal user
Southern Arizona
242 Posts

Profile of Barrett_James
Hey Bryn I think your at 82 unless your using some crazy misdirection on me?!?!?

Regards,

Barrett James
"...let us now rejoin our foolish friends and commence the book properly." G.H.
rrgg
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of rrgg
I would say start out with self working tricks. Learn to work the audience first.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
What a list - thanks a lot
Cards never lie
Sk8erBoi9305
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of Sk8erBoi9305
If you're a beginner and you wanna learn card stuff, I would go to Ellusionist.com and get some of their DVDs. Crash Course 1 and 2 are both great. the ninja series is more advanced, but you can work on that stuff while you're performing easy things from cc1 like here then there (a great trick, the audience will remember forever)
CurtMiller
View Profile
New user
Houston
22 Posts

Profile of CurtMiller
I love a trick called "Jumping Gems" available at Rich Hill's Illusion Shop.

Curt Miller
Houston Magician
Magic + Comedy = Entertainment!
http://www.curtmiller.com
"Magic + Comedy = Entertainment!"
http://www.curtmiller.com
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
A few inexpensive tricks that can play well if presented right. Minimum sleight of hand. Gimmicks are involved. Prices are approximate.

"Crazy Cube" - $3.
"Steel Ball & Tube" - $5.
"Double X Rating Pen" - $7.
"Link Key" - $10, Bob Solari.
"Tric Tac"- $15, Bob Chesbro.
"Spare Change" - $15, David Acer.

Learning to do sleights with different shaped objects is the best bet for impromptu situations.
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
Leeds, UK (but I'm Scottish)
1471 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
Something I did once, I wrote a list of effects I'd like to do, about 5-10 or so, then I found out if these things existed by visiting shops, web sites etc. Chances are that most of the things you list will have been done. You could do this in a few minutes.

When (if) you find them, have a look at them and see if you can have them demo'd. If they suit you and you like them and you can afford them buy 2 or 3. Practice like mad and then do them for real people. If they play well, you're laughing.

Tom
"But there isn't a door"
Andrew McMillan
View Profile
New user
Melbourne Australia
62 Posts

Thanks again everyone, some good advice. Thanks Jaz, I'll check out these items. I'm travelling for the first time to the states in Nov and hope to spend some dosh on tricks, dvds etc.

Has anyone read my other post in grand illusion about the history and illuions using shadow magic? I've had zero responses. Maybe they're too serious in there! Smile

A
antonio2030
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of antonio2030
1-Out of this world (the versión for two people)
2-appearing the four aces
3-ashes
4-thumb tip
5-reading mind from book

those had never failed to me, and are really easy to do
Andrew McMillan
View Profile
New user
Melbourne Australia
62 Posts

Antonio

Can you provide more info about these effects including the author for 'Out', 'Appearing' and 'Ashes'. I'm not sure what your refering to here.
closeupcardician
View Profile
Special user
Justin Teeman Moore, OK
602 Posts

Profile of closeupcardician
Key Card Routines. A good place to start is "Magic With Cards" by Garcia and Schindler.
"Magic as art cannot live without love. Love of some kind. There are novels without love, other arts without love. But there can be no magic without love." - Rodney Reyes
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Best closeup tricks for a beginner (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL