The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Best closeup tricks for a beginner (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
matt kemp
View Profile
Veteran user
312 Posts

Profile of matt kemp
I think it is on John Mendoza's DVD titled "My Best, Vol. One". Is it the routine where the reds and blacks separate? John's routine is good, although I have never seen the original Paul Currie routine.
jonxodus
View Profile
Veteran user
San Diego, CA
313 Posts

Profile of jonxodus
I think the Cups and balls is the way to go, it takes a little bit more practice but when you have a routine down, oh, the reactions and entertainment you can give is superb. Not only is the c&b a classic, you learn the basic principles of magic thru them as well.
justini
View Profile
New user
Salisbury, MD
54 Posts

Profile of justini
I know this post is a little old, but can I vote for a Svengali Deck? Yeah, it may be cliche. But IMHO for a lay audience it can really be entertaining. Do a Svengali routine, drop the deck in your pocket, do something else -coins, cups whatever, then go back to your pocket and deck switch. Proceed to then blow them away with Out of This World. Just my two cents.

BTW - the original Paul Curry Out of this World routine is published in his book Magician's Magic. It is still in print and widely available.
apple123
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of apple123
Do something that always works, in other words a self working one. There are some great tricks in Magic with Cards which are self working and are ideal for a beginner.
Erdnase27
View Profile
Inner circle
2495 Posts

Profile of Erdnase27
1. Invisible Deck
2. Twisted Sisters
3. Scotch and Soda
4. Spongeball routine
5. CUt and restored rope

doing these allone must get you money:)
mir11
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of mir11
-Out of this world (the versión for two people)
2-appearing the four aces
3-Invisible Deck
4-CUt and restored rope
5-reading mind from book
Forza Azzurri
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Forza Azzurri
Quote:
On May 22, 2007, 61magic wrote:
Andrew, stay away from the "magic set" type stuff. People will not take you serious enough if you pull our a bunch of plastic stuff.
Remember the top 5 WOW tricks for one person may not fit the personality for another. . . .

One exception to magic sets might be Shin Lim's EVOLUSHIN magic set. Read the reviews and consider. There's a very extensive and thorough review of the set here in The Magic Café: https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......orum=109 . The set seems to be more of a compilation of utilities and packet tricks rather than a bunch of plastic crap. It also comes with Mr. Lim's instructions and tutorials on DVD.
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
1804 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Quote:
On Apr 28, 2021, Forza Azzurri wrote:
Quote:
On May 22, 2007, 61magic wrote:
Andrew, stay away from the "magic set" type stuff. People will not take you serious enough if you pull our a bunch of plastic stuff.

One exception to magic sets might be Shin Lim's EVOLUSHIN magic set. Read the reviews and consider. There's a very extensive and thorough review of the set here in The Magic Café:
https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......orum=109
The set seems to be more of a compilation of utilities and packet tricks rather than a bunch of plastic crap. It also comes with Mr. Lim's instructions and tutorials on DVD.

Thanks for posting a link to my detailed review of Shin Lim's Evolushin magic kit.

I agree that it is very much the exception to the rule as far as magic sets go. It doesn't come with the usual, brightly coloured, cheap-and-nasty, toy-like tricks that most magic kits have. Instead it has genuinely useful gimmicks, and easy-to-perform visual magic.

It also comes with solid video instruction from Shin himself (streaming video online, not DVD). Definitely recommended.

Aintnothingbutachickenwing
View Profile
New user
Dublin Ireland
20 Posts

Profile of Aintnothingbutachickenwing
Invisible deck for me and the shining! This trick kills!!
ssucahyo
View Profile
Inner circle
1945 Posts

Profile of ssucahyo
Anything that can be examine by your audience.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Best closeup tricks for a beginner (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL