The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » The famous Thumb Tip (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
tiriri
View Profile
Loyal user
Ecuador
247 Posts

Profile of tiriri
I usually use it when performing magic for children. For adults I do prefer other stuff like cards or mentalism, but not only for the reasons quoted by Kyle, but also because adults have seen much more magic than kids and therefore they have probably seen before vanishing hankers and stuff like that.

Best regards,

Giovanni.
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
I keep referring back to Gary Darwin's Encyclopedia of TT Magic DVDs all the time. I will also recommend Examining The Thumbtip DVD by Alexander DeCova!
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
martin king
View Profile
Elite user
416 Posts

Profile of martin king
I think I fell in love with the TT when I was really really young (about 7 years old).

It was the very first time that I showed one of my family an effect with it, (can't quite remember which), and it fooled them...the impact was like a 'punch to the stomach'!

My love affair with the TT remains to this day! It's the only magical prop that I carry with me permanently!

If I could I would perform a whole close up act (for me that means three tricks) with the TT.

The effects that I've performed with it include, 'Vanishing Salt', 'Sponge Ball Up Sleeve', 'Banknote To Kiwi Fruit', (I've tried perfecting the 'Bill Switch' but it looks like what it is in my hands!) and I also use a Vernet 'TT Writer'! (I'm sure that there are countless other effects that I've performed with the TT and forgotten about.)
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Quote:
On 2008-01-22 18:06, mrsmiles wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-01-01 04:09, Brent McLeod wrote:
Working the streets & markets performing 8-10 times an hour pitching & selling magic -I use the TT a lot-especially to draw a crowd

No 1 effect is blank paper to $20 note -effect on lay audience is huge!!
Also foreign affair at times by Greg Wilson as a change etc....

Quick question Brent. On streets and markets I'd imagine people are moving around quite fluidly & some people might be behind you or coming up from behind you to join the crowd... isn't that a danger when in the middle of a TT move that people might see the TT sliding off and then back on your thumb etc? I'm interested in your feedback and experience in this matter because I'm thinking of starting to work similar environments eventually. I've done lots of close up at tables and strolling but no streets. I find that in restaurants that you can quickly gauge if any tables are too close behind you or not (if not... its safe to use TT) whilst for strolling I don't do TT work because of angles and due to fact that anyone might walk up to me or past me/behind me at any moment & possibly see the TT.

Good Questions-I too had doubts prior to doing this at different venues

I am aware of angles & do a very fast 4 fold bill switch

I am also aware of people behind me but drop my hands in front of my chest so they cant see anyway-i tell them the show looks better from the front- side lookers cant see either as I put a slight cup in my hands rather than showing them absolutely straight-never have had a problem yet!!

-I also ensure people aren't standing right close to me so try & have a performing area of some sort & you wont have a problem

The effect on lay audiences is quite spectacular & attracts a sizeable crowd quickly!! Then I can start on the other items

Good Luck
Hernan
View Profile
Regular user
San Francisco
126 Posts

Profile of Hernan
If you think people will see the TT in action,
then you still have some work to do learning misdirection.
I am sorry if you think that is pompous.

Here is a secret helper clue. If they look right at the TT
then you are succesful at __DIRECTING__ the attention of the audience.
And this is something to applaud in yourself (some magicians put thier audience
to sleep!!)

You want to start _mis_ directing thier attention.
Get it?
You make them look right at the dirty work or transpo device. They could look anywhere but they, through your actions, look right at the dirty work.

This is good. Believe it or not.

It is a learning curve. I refuse to go into detail but let me tell you the short list of how you
succesfully directed thier attention.

Body language
Your eye gaze
Body tension acting like a neon arrow pointing to the dirty thang.
Vocal communication' not words but hesitation, pacing

short list, right?

Now go out and catch yourself doing these things. the better
you understand your success at failing the more effective the
_MIS_Direction will be.
Why?
Because you will use these exact same tools (which are personal favorite)
to direct the attention away from the dirty dirt.

let us say your eyes look at the slieght, this is a strong point for you,
use the eye gaze to look at the spectater)s(.

A lot of people blink, try to blink before or after.

Tense body? relax then tense up for a fake reveal.
S_Myst
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of S_Myst
I use a TT for a Do-as-I-do burned and restored handkerchief effect. Not very impromptu, but a great comedy roast for the host of an event. Since almost no one carries handkerchiefs anymore. (So I try to do a plant in the intended's pocket. This can then be somewhat of comedy production as well, with them denying they have a handerchief and then asking them to look in their jacket pocket.)

If the gimmick is handled well it is invisible even if someone knows about it. So if you use for something other than a silk vanish it doesn't matter much that this method is fairly well known.
Professor Myst
Engineer, Inventor, Writer, Teacher, Wizard
mleskanic
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of mleskanic
I think that you're safer from the advertising of the TT as long as you stay away from vanishing silks and I'd use other effects with the TT instead like bill in lemon, no layperson who knows what a thumbtip is would assume it is used here.
Trev Curtis
View Profile
New user
United Kingdom
1 Post

Profile of Trev Curtis
Anyone who has seen Michael Ammar lecture with a fluorescent thumb tip will know that the skill is in the handling not on how real the tip looks
Jumbopenny
View Profile
Loyal user
Bay Area, Northern California USA
257 Posts

Profile of Jumbopenny
Quote:
On 2009-01-12 09:10, Trev Curtis wrote:
Anyone who has seen Michael Ammar lecture with a fluorescent thumb tip will know that the skill is in the handling not on how real the tip looks

I've never really understood the point of demonstrations like this. In my experience it's best to do everything possible to make my hands look copasetic, and then flash the TT enough to convince the spec that my hand is empty. Ideally, if possible, I usually point the TT at them momentarily.
CMMAGIC
View Profile
Regular user
Myrtle Beach , S.C.
145 Posts

Profile of CMMAGIC
I pour water into the thump tip and have an ice cube palmed . turn water into ice. I never leave home wihtout my thumbtip. I own about 40 of them
- Carl Michael - www.CarlMichaelMagic.com
Frequent performer at top night clubs such as Mansion Miami , PURE Las Vegas , Marquee Vegas , and Veranda NYC . 2012 and 2013 Reader's Choice Magician of the Year. Currently headlining in my own stage show in Myrtle Beach . Follow on twitter , Instagram and ViNe @CMMAGIC
illusionactor
View Profile
New user
New York
52 Posts

Profile of illusionactor
Like many of you, I carry my TT everywhere. I have a bunch of them but I've noticed over time they start to get a little dirty and it always seems to happen just as it has been "broken in" does anyone have any good tips on cleaning them?
Bendy
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
518 Posts

Profile of Bendy
Quote:
On 2009-01-18 12:10, illusionactor wrote:
Like many of you, I carry my TT everywhere. I have a bunch of them but I've noticed over time they start to get a little dirty and it always seems to happen just as it has been "broken in" does anyone have any good tips on cleaning them?

Believe it or not: A soft-bristled tooth brush, a smidge of warm water and toothpaste.
That's your best bet.
If you dirty it up beyond that and the dirt bugs you, (like it bugs me), it's fortunate that TTs are cheap and can be easily replaced. I've got a couple in the glove box in the car, one in my desk drawer at work, several in my close-up case, a couple on me at all time, one in a pocket in each jacket I own...I've got a bunch of them and I'm never far away from access to one.

My favorite two TTs are the Fredi-Up and the Vernet Soft. While the Vernet Soft is economical enough to replace when it gets too dirty, the Fredi-Ups are not. I take greater care in the storage/transport of my Fredi-Ups because of that.
Bendy
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
518 Posts

Profile of Bendy
Quote:
On 2008-11-10 22:07, liampower wrote:
Harry Allan has a nice effect using a tt that's not a vanish, production or switch called spoon spiner

Next time I see him, I'll have to ask him to show me that one!
Bendy
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
518 Posts

Profile of Bendy
Quote:
On 2007-06-04 00:54, MagicMattMan wrote:
Since I mostly am a cardman, I use my TT for Amazing jonathan's balancing card on back of hand. PM if you've never used it like that b4 and would like to know how.

I don't do too many card-related illusions. Mostly packet stuff, (NFW, Strange Travelers, Princess Cards, etc.), and, of course, McDonald's Aces. However, when I'm moving into my card effect(s), I will often state that magic with cards takes a steady hand and good balance and state that I must test my ability before attempting to perform any card magic so as to prevent injury to myself and/or my spectators. Then I will perform this effect.

I use a TT often and this is a very neat way of transistioning from non-card illusions, (especially TT illusions), into a card illusion or two. It always goes over really well.
Bendy
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
518 Posts

Profile of Bendy
Quote:
On 2007-06-15 06:50, millarhouse wrote:
Check out "Examining The Thumbtip" DVD by Alexander DeCova
It will change the way you think about the thumb tip, and how it can be 'operated'

Warren

I agree. I love how he vanishes a silk when utilizing a coin purse and a purse frame. Even those "in the know" about TTs, (but who aren't necessarily magicians), and who have seen - and even performed - a silk vanish using a TT are still baffled when the silk disappears during this routine. It's my favorite on the whole DVD, (but the whole DVD is GREAT).
Bendy
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
518 Posts

Profile of Bendy
Quote:
On 2009-01-18 18:02, Bendy wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-06-15 06:50, millarhouse wrote:
Check out "Examining The Thumbtip" DVD by Alexander DeCova
It will change the way you think about the thumb tip, and how it can be 'operated'

Warren

I agree. I love how he vanishes a silk when utilizing a coin purse and a purse frame. Even those "in the know" about TTs, (but who aren't necessarily magicians), and who have seen - and even performed - a silk vanish using a TT are still baffled when the silk disappears during this routine. It's my favorite on the whole DVD, (but the whole DVD is GREAT).

Now that I think of it, the silk vanish with the purse/purse frame may be on another TT DVD or another DeCova DVD I have. I've got a lot of material on TTs; so it's hard to remember where which illusions came from. Either way, the Alexander DeCova "Examining The TT" DVD is a great investment for TT enthusiasts or for anyone who thinks the TT is "obvious" or over-exposed.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » The famous Thumb Tip (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL